Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Places to stay in Cornwall (and things to do)?
  • doof_doof
    Free Member

The wife and I are wanting to spend a couple of weeks down in Cornwall with our 6 month old this summer. The loose plan is to spend a week in one spot, then move onto another place for a week. Looking at renting a self contained cottage/house, but unsure where best to base ourselves for the two weeks. So far I’ve been recommended Kingsand and Cawsand, as well as Pelynt near Looe

Any gems out there anyone’s willing to share?

Also, any must do/see attractions, apart from the obvious stuff?

Thanks.

Taff
    Free Member

http://www.forestholidays.co.uk/cabins/our_locations/cornwall.aspx

Check this place out

Looe, polperro. Most of the coastal villages are nice to be honest.

trb
    Free Member

There are literally thousands of places to stay, I’d recommend my mum’s caravans, but they are good quality and well priced, so are booked solid by this time of year, which you may or may not find a problem.

With a little one, I’d recommend Dairyland (near Summercourt) just because the cost of entry gets you free re-entry for the rest of the week and they have a good soft play area. That was a life saver on one particulary rainy trip we had.

On a more sensible note, the ferry that trundles from falmouth up to truro and back is a very nice trip.

Surfmat will be along in a mo no doubt

lucasharrison
    Free Member

St. Ives is great, but just a bit busy during summer! Can’t beat the Lizard imo.

Have a pint of Tribute and Doom Bar, and a pasty from Philps in Hayle.

LoCo
    Free Member

http://www.cornishgems.com/holiday-cottages/the_loft.html 😉

In St Ives, 5 mins from the harbour, nice countryside just outside town with lovely pubs.

Beaches Gwithan is great and you can check the surf from the mezzanine window at the house 😀

loddrik
    Free Member

Porthcurnow is a great beach, as is Lelant, which is never busy.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We stayed here last October

http://www.hawkes-point.co.uk/apartments/

With our two 14 month old girls – Carbis Bay is lovely and on the train line to St Ives too.

The place was beautiful – very well specced out with Bose music system, good tv, dishwasher etc and great bathrooms/ensuites etc. When the girls (inevitably) broke and lost things we told the owner and he couldn’t have been more understanding.

They also supply cots/highchairs etc.

Only downside is that it is towards the top of the hill so a bit of a steep walk back from the (amazing and very well sheltered) beach.

We are considering going again this year.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

This thread is missing a certain je ne sais quoi

LoCo
    Free Member

just lacking that bit of awesome isn’t it 😉

samuri
    Free Member

Lands end costs money to go to. MONEY! To go and see our own land!
    I was shocked. And disappointed, but mostly shocked.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You said it LoCo 😀

loddrik
    Free Member

Carbis Bay is where my families cottage is, although I don’t use it anywhere near as much as I should. I’ve been doing the Hawks Point walk since I could walk.

I remember those apartments Mastiles stayed in being built. Carbis Bay was a lot cheaper back then!!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh and near St Ives there is a nice bird garden place (no idea what it is called) and then there is FarmLand near Newquay (but your kiddie will be a bit too young for stuff there).

But in all there won’t be a lack of things to do in Cornwall.

Just avoid Truro as my sister-in-law lives there and she is a bitch worth avoiding at all costs.

lunge

Have a google for Tolcarne Beach Appartments, they are on the edge of Newquay and are a stunning place to stay. You can argue the merits or otherwise of the town itself but for somewhere to stay on the beach it is brilliant.

bristolbiker
    Free Member
    loddrik
    Free Member

Ohh and near St Ives there is a nice bird garden place (no idea what it is called) and then there is FarmLand near Newquay (but your kiddie will be a bit too young for stuff there).

Paradise Park

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

That’s the one.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh and be warned – if you are wanting to go during school holidays be prepared to be in for the shock of your life – it really can be cheaper to go fully inclusive in Spain including the flights than to go some places in Cornwall in the height of summer.

Twin
    Free Member

Coasteering was fantastic, went with these:
    vertical descents

Coasteering was fantastic, went with these
    They do plenty of other stuff too, they were very friendly and professional.

Edit: missed the bit about 6 month old child. You might not want said child to participate. 😳

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Furtehr to M_F’s comment, recently went to Antrim coast of NI in the Easter hols. Cottage (literally) on the beach was easily less than 1/2 the price of equivalent Cornish prices, even including flight/car hire. Stunning place, loads to do and no-one around.

Beagleboy

Mrs Beagy and I stayed in this last August.

http://www.quirky-holidays-cornwall.co.uk/accommodation.php?id=1

We had a wonderful holiday and felt the location (right smack in the middle of Cornwall) was perfect for a week of exploration. The wagon has to be seen to be believed, absolutely gorgeous. 🙂

Beagy 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

Minnack theatre is also worth a visit.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

BristolBiker – link to site? Sounds an interesting proposition…

bristolbiker
    Free Member

M_F – have a look here: http://www.antrimglenscottages.com/

We had the house at the top, the in-laws had the one further down in the same plot. With half an eye on your twins, I would say that if the weather is fine (which is was for us) it’s brilliant. We did wonder what we’d do with the little-un if it had been a wash-out without driving >30 mins in any direction. If I was doing it again with the kids out of ‘summer’, might have plumped for something either further up or down the coast line.

scruff
    Free Member

Minnack theatre is also worth a visit

#

Only if there isnt a play on. I watched the most amazing sunset / moonrise and saw a basking shark from the seating area, there was also some acting things going on but I tried my best to ignore.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Cheers BB – so where did you get ferry from/to? And how long a drive was it from the ferryport to the accommodation?

It does look really nice though – I have already emailed it to my wife for consideration 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

😆 @ Scruff, lovely spot was ther at the end of an autumn evening, but I don’t like heights particularly though 😳 cake in the cafe was top too 😀

bristolbiker
    Free Member

We flew – Bristol to Belfast City is about an hour. Drive from airport to cottage was 1:10 direct, or 1:20 along the quiet, scenic and pot-hole free coast road….. If you have to fly to the other ‘Belfast’ airport, it’s just off the M’way on the North of the city, so shave 10/15 minutes off that. Ferries – no idea….. wife couldn’t face the idea of a multi-hour crossing entertaining a 3 yr old, so a quick plane trip and sleep (for Jr) in the hire car on the way there.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Places to stay in Cornwall (and things to do)?’ is closed to new replies.