Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Places to ride near Cardiff??
  • cardiff
    Free Member

Hi, I’m new on here so go easy (especially as I can’t spell!). Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for places to ride near Cardiff? I ride Cwmcarn regularly and also have spent a bit of time getting to know the trails around Castell Coch, but theres hills everywhere so guessing there must be more!

Cheers

seanoc
    Free Member

There’s quite a bit, how far are you looking to ride? There’s quite a bit if you’re willing to go a bit further than Castell Coch.

hugor
    Free Member

For trail centres try Afan Argoed and Brechfa.
    I’m looking for more natural stuff other than Castle Coch as its a bit of a hassle getting to trail centres mid week.

cardiff
    Free Member

I’m definatly happy to head further afield, (do head over to Afan every now and then) only tend to head up to Castell Coch as I can ride straight there from my house and Cwmcarn is on the way home from work ,so would be rude not to pop in!

cardiff
    Free Member

Hugor, the trail centers around here are great, but like you am up for exploring some of the more natural stuff, so I can mix it up a bit during the week days

robkhoo
    Free Member

You need to hook up with some locals: there is a regular night ride every Wednesday which leaves the Lewis Arms in Tongwynlais at 7.30pm, and Castle Bikes in Caerphilly have three shop rides every week (they leave from Caerphilly though). Hundreds of miles of good stuff out there…

stuartkendall
    Free Member

You could head to rudry mountain through coed coesau whips then carry on through the lanes to Machen mountain sampling all the little bits of forestry in between 🙂 That could be a nice little bit of exploring.
    I often head up that way myself from st mellons. There are some fun trails in the forestry between Rudry and Draethen but as with most forestry trails they are soon over so need to be sessioned or linked together.

cardiff
    Free Member

Cheers Robkhoo, I will def look in to catch up with some of the local rides! Stuart, I’ve no idea where those places are (bar St Melons!) but will look them up and go for an explore! 🙂

hugor
    Free Member

Lewis Arms ride is great fun – friendly bunch of guys and the evening winds up with a few pints and some grub at the Black Cock Inn.
    I might see you there.

DanW
    Free Member

Hi,

I asked a similar question recently, you can see the thread here:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cardiff-local-rides-and-trails-can-someone-please-help

I would thoroughly recommend the Castle Bikes rides from Caerphilly- there’s an unbelievable amount of trails right on their doorstep

DanW

cardiff
    Free Member

Cheers Dan, thats proper helpful! Think the Castle Bike rides would be best for me at the moment as I’m busy every Wednesday in the summer!

coatesy
    Free Member

Pentyrch Quarry, Gwaelod y Garth, Castell Coch, The Wennallt, Ridgeway/Caerphilly Mountain, Rudry, Coed Coesau Whips/LLwyn-celyn, Machen woods, Machen Mountain, Sirhowy Valley, Cwmcarn. All can be linked together with just short sections of road, always best to get together with locals otherwise you may well miss the best bits, or take them in the wrong direction.

seanoc
    Free Member

I’m out tomorrow evening, happy to show what I know. Coming over the Garth from Llantwit Fardre; Could detour to take in Ton, or Morgans Town, or summit.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Places to ride near Cardiff??’ is closed to new replies.