Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Places to ride driving from Northants
  • colster808
    Free Member

Being in the envious location of Kettering our local riding is pretty tame. Quite often have to drive up to 3hrs each way for a decent ride. Is there ANYTHING nearer worth driving too. I’ve been to Cannock(nearest decent ride) , Hopton Eastridge, Longmynd, Llandegla, CYB. Any others a reasonable drive away that I’m missing. None trail centre routes preferred as they are all there on google 🙂

momo

A couple of hours should see you in the Dark Peak, plenty of riding to be had there.

Trimix
    Free Member

Woburn, Chicksands.

colster808
    Free Member

Yes fancy the Peaks. Any good recommendations for routes with easy ish navigation?

And yes really need to get to Woburn and Chicksands at some point.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’m in the same unenviable position as you OP – stuck in Northants with bikes with some sort of suspension and off road tyres.

I spend a lot of my time at Aston Hill. Small but the DH trails are a good technical challenge. Woburn is ok, but I guess there is a lot of it i’m unaware of as I’m always surprised by the amount if people who rave about the place. I find after an hour there, i’m bored.

Chicksands is fine and the Ridgeway is only in Oxford and can be fun.

momo

Pick up a copy of this book for route information, it’s never going to be as easy as following signs around a trail centre but I’ve always found it reasonably easy to get around.

IHN

A couple of hours should see you in the Dark Peak[b]Cotswolds or (nearly) FoD[/b], plenty of riding to be had there.

colster808
    Free Member

Thanks momo. Will do.

First time at FOD in December and yes it’s great. Only did the marked stuff though so perhaps need to explore. Cotswolds could be interesting, any specific routes.

Fervo- that’s exactly why I’ve not bothered with Woburn yet as looks pretty limited. I’ll google ridgeway as not heard of that one.

IHN

There’s a few guide books of the Cotswolds, or I could knock something up for you. How far you looking to do?

There may, at some point, be a reincarnation of the STW Cotswold Massiv ride-out once I get around to it…

mcobie
    Free Member

http://www.treadscc.co.uk is a local club to you that regularly does day trips away, all usually within 2 – 3 hours drive. Varies between trail centres and non trail centres.

Regulars at Woburn too, so can show you the hidden gems!

tuffty
    Free Member

Hi, sadly I too live in the Kettering area awful isn’t it? Usually manage the odd weekend up in the Peak district you are welcome to tag along. I have organised the odd MTB ride locally through C&D cycles in Kettering

scaled
    Free Member

I got in touch with Cyclone MTB club https://www.facebook.com/groups/CycloneMTB/?fref=ts they showed me round Woburn and seem to do rides round there most Sundays.

Nice bunch of people, lots of them out but tbh I was a little bit meh about the riding and will probably take the road bike again for my next trip.

PolisherMan

You NEED to move! 25 years ago I left Desborough and moved to the Pennines. Never looked back! 😉

colster808
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replays peeps

IHN. If you could be bothered to put something together that would be great.

Tuffty-thanks for the offer. Would be up for tagging a long as would a couple of others!
    Probably not till after July though unfortunately due to house move, stag do, kids birthdays, wedding and honey moon taking up most free weekends until then! Luckily stag do’s at BPW so will get at least some time in the bike.

Polisher man you could be on to something although all the usual reasons not to. Job, family kids at school. Glad you made it out of the shire though.

Oh and tuffety, there’s quite a few of us in the area who try to do a ride away once a month so likewise your more than welcome to tag along 🙂

maxtorque

Yeah, definitely don’t go to Woburn, it’s rubbish! 😉

PolisherMan

We have schools and jobs available up ‘ere… 😉

orangefatlad
    Free Member

I live very near you, and would strongly recommend the peaks (or Peak). Loads of good riding around there, from Hope or Ladybower. If you search for “Hope triple eight” that would be a good starting point, that’s a longish ride but can be cut to suit your needs/fitness.

There are some trails in Fineshade/Wakerley – which are OK for mid-week riding. There’s a group that ride from there (Wakerley wheelers) who ride most Wednesday evenings, have a search on Fb.

If you want any other routes in the peak or to meet up at Wakerley just drop me an email (in profile).

Simon

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Places to ride driving from Northants’ is closed to new replies.