Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Places to kayak around glasgow
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

So i bought myself a cheap and nasty 40 quid aldi inflatable kayak(a lilo with sides), it’ll be terrible I know, but it’ll do for getting to know you purposes on flat water and it’ll help in a decision as to whether I want to invest more in an actual real kayak.

Now I have a floatation device/lifejacket, and a willingness to head heid first doon the nearest rapids 😆 . But before I get there, I’m not that daft, and I know there’s a learning curve involved here, and the risks are far higher than just jumping on a bike and heading off into the hills.

So first things first, where’s a really shallow sheltered loch around glasgow I can practice in? or I’m I better just jumping in the canal somewhere? Or just head up to loch lomond? (I’ve kayaked up in LL at salochy once before, and fell in a few times, so I know i’m happy enough up there long as I don’t stray further than I can swim, but somewhere closer would be nice)

So that will be for general getting to know you purposes, after that, where’s a good stretch of river that will be an easy bimble down, with no rapids and stuff? again easy reach from glasgow. (this is really my first goal to do some distance like this, after that i’ll decide if this is something I want to take seriously)

in my head I’ve got it that “kayaking” (lilo :lol:) season is really july aug and sept(short season is the reason why this 40 quid effort will do for a laugh), after that, you’ll really into dry suit territory and proper training, eh?

So, any decent locations then, or bits of wisdom, you’d like to share?

legend
    Free Member

My, ex kayak/canoe coach, Missus would say head to Loch Earn, Loch Venechar or Loch Lubnaig if asked this question. Hope that helps

dissonance

To do the classic answer a different question.
    If you are looking to play on some flat water (plus some more fun stuff) and make decisions about a real kayak might be worth a trip to Pinkston watersports.

I have kayaked pretty much all year round with a wetsuit at lee valley. With some sessions being a debate whether swimming or kayaking.
    A dry suit definitely looks appealing after a swim when its cold but its not absolutely essential so long as you have a back up plan eg I wouldnt want to be a distance from warm shelter and have a swim with just a wetsuit.

Gary_M
    Free Member

where’s a really shallow sheltered loch around glasgow I can practice in?

Hogganfield ‘Loch’, your kayak might get shot though 🙂

But seriously top end of loch lomond would be a good bet, I have a friend who’s just built hos own kayak and he launched it there at the weekend.

richmtb

Strathclyde Loch?

Not exactly picturesque but a good place to practice.

The Clyde between the weir at Blantyre and Uddingston is pretty tame most of the time if you fancy a river – it certainly got no white water!

yetidave
    Free Member

Loch Lomond, but you may need a licence, which is more of a day pass. The canals are only 3-4ft deep, and if you drive out of town they are quite nice. Linlithgow loch is half an hour on a train, or the loch at Caldercuix?

mcj78
    Free Member

I see quite a few folk out in kayaks down at Castle Semple Loch (Lochwinnoch), there’s a watersports centre with pontoons there, you could give them a bell & see what the deal is in case they have an event on as they do sailing / windsurfing etc. there too, but I’ve also seen folk bring their own & launch them from the grassy bank – always been meaning to pop round & hire one or a paddleboard for a couple of hours but never got round to it despite it being a 2 minute walk away 😳

J

seosamh77
    Free Member

Cheers all some good suggestions here I’ll investigate further. Any more fire them in. Ta!

Gary_M
    Free Member

There’s also the water sports centre at East Kilbride

giant_scum
    Free Member

Was going to suggest the place over at East Kilbride, but was beaten to it.
    What about the Loch up the back of Greenock or ‘The Cut’ over that way.
    Reservoirs over at Barrhead an other option, loads to choose from have a look on Google Maps and take a bike ride out to scope them out!

poly
    Free Member

I’m not sure a cheap inflatable is going to really help you decide if you want a proper kayak.

You don’t need a license / daypass for Loch Lomond. (Powercraft do) The same land reform rules that let you ride your bike most places also let you paddle almost anywhere. (FYI, the LR(S)A does not technically apply at Linlithgow Loch as it is a royal park – but HES who manage it seem to be open minded).

selkirkbear
    Free Member

The Black Loch out by Limerigg would be my recommendation. It is quite shallow so warms up quite quickly in summertime.

squirrelking
    Free Member

What about the Loch up the back of Greenock or ‘The Cut’ over that way.

Not a place I’d be going on my own TBH plus a lot of those reservoirs are still in use. As far as I’m aware Loch Thom and most of the others have the usual warning notices posted.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Put it out at ardrossan beaches when it’s calm…really lovely area to paddle.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The Perchy pond in wishy. Watch oot for the Panthers though….

joshvegas
    Free Member

Canal.

If you fall in all you have to do is stand up.

dovebiker

Strathclyde Park or Lochwinnoch was where we used to go with the scouts BITD. A big consideration is wind – inflatable kayaks have an awful tendency to get blown by the wind, so suggest you go out on a calm day first and get a feel for how the kayak handles in different conditions i.e. you don’t want to go out with a strong breeze, find yourself blown 5 miles down the loch and trying to battle your way back against a headwind.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Here’s a question, I’m up north at the end of the month for a week, got a cracking property just on the outskirts of aberfeldy, back garden is actually overhanging the tay.

Now I know there’s some eventful bits of the tay, but say in aberfeldy, a mile up or down stream look alright eh? long as the river levels are fine?

mtbing looks great up there btw, loads for trails by the looks of things.

Gary_M
    Free Member

so suggest you go out on a calm day first

We’re talking west of scotland here, its generally blowing a ******* gale, looks out office window to see trees bending wondering where the tailwind was on the ride in this morning 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

aye wind is a factor i’m aware of, something sheltered is in mind.

tbh I’m thinking the canal is as good a shout as anything tbh for a first go. but other options will be used! 🙂

km79
    Free Member

Have they cleaned up the canals? Wouldn’t want to be falling in on my first attempt taking a big swig of canal water in the process.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Much of the canal is 6-7ft deep. I fish it and part of that is plumbing the depth for float fishing. Some of the wide basins are shallower, but I wouldn’t fancy falling in.

A colleague of my wife lost her husband a couple of years ago near Kelvinhead as he walked home from a function at Glenskirlie. fell in at the edge, couldn’t get out and drowned.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

IIRC canoe/kayak hire from Tiso is pretty reasonable – would that not be a better idea than a cheapie inflatable?
    Canals have been cleaned up a lot, still wouldn’t fancy a mouthful though. Still, if you’re prepared to risk it a put in Speirs Wharf gives yo some city centre paddling

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Now I know there’s some eventful bits of the tay, but say in aberfeldy, a mile up or down stream look alright eh? long as the river levels are fine?

Head up stream to Loch Tay – pretty spectacular and safe enough if you wear a BA. The river might look ok, but there’s bits that are faster then they look so TBH, I’d be looking at one of the rafting trips, Nae Limits or the one next to the hotel car park in Grandtully

joshvegas
    Free Member

glasgowdan – Member
    Much of the canal is 6-7ft deep. I fish it and part of that is plumbing the depth for float fishing. Some of the wide basins are shallower, but I wouldn’t fancy falling in.

A colleague of my wife lost her husband a couple of years ago near Kelvinhead as he walked home from a function at Glenskirlie. fell in at the edge, couldn’t get out and drowned.

While I appreciate what you are saying everything you are saying is relevant to anywhere you’d put a canoe.

Falling off the edge into cold water in “normal” clothes being hit with cold water shock and a tricky exit in sodden denims.

Is totally different to capsizing in a big floaty thing with a bouyancy aid where you essentially have time to find an exit you can get out of.

In terms of safety. The canal is reasonably sheltered at water level.

You can’t be blown off shore.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I’m answering the posts saying the canal is 3-4ft deep. It could be scary if you fall out and expect to stand up safely!

joshvegas
    Free Member

Ah got you.

It is the canal though so every chance you’ll fall ON the canal

seosamh77
    Free Member

i think i’ll take a cycle up the canal to falkirk or sonething and check it out.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Come up to bishopbriggs/Kirkintilloch. There are a few spots you can use to launch.

Also up the back of Torrance is a lovely secluded quarry pond. Quite small but always sheltered and good for practice. Easy launch 10 yards from the car

cbike
    Free Member

The canals would be fine for exploring. Take a head torch and do The tunnel at Falkirk.

Loch Lomond also worth a look. Aldochlay is a good place to put in. Try not to upset the locals and park considerately. Sometimes it’s drop boats off and park elsewhere.

Take weather into account. Loch Lomond rescue boat seem to be returning a lot of folk who could have got a taxi from a plan b bail out point. In an inflatable you really want zero wind. Take flares. Mobile signal north of Luss is poor.

Loch Sween also very sheltered if you go further afield.

Strathclyde park is council run and needs RYA quals before they’ll let you on. Hogganfield used to be the home of glasgow schools sailing club, where my parents met! I exist because of a glacial land formation!

seosamh77
    Free Member

So i did eventually take out that blow up kayak up at loch tay a few weeks ago, just about the bay. Conclusion, the 40 quid effort is a piece of shit, did the introductory job though, but i should have just hired one! mind you it’ll still do for camping trips and firing in the car.

This is me heading for a suicide attack on an unsuspecting duo in loch tay!

I did hire out a proper sit on top when over in mallorca the other day though, this was much better fun. Woman in the shop reckoned it’d be a bit choppy and we’d be better heading into the bay and that we’d struggle to reach the island, challenge accepted! 😆

First attempt at a small journey, swells were generally ok, bounced you up and down a metre or so a couple about 2m, but easy enough.

Next stop I think I’ll fire up and explor the loch lomond islands before the water turns completely baltic!

Quite fancy heading into some proper waves on the sea for a laugh too! As well as the pinkston rapids.

I reckon I need to practice jumping in and out of the boat aswell though, i can see myself getting too confident too quickly! 😆 I should do some safety stuff!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Guid stuff!

seosamh77
    Free Member

we’ll need to get that fishing done too, never have done anything about that as yet, still want to catch something!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Defo will mate.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Places to kayak around glasgow’ is closed to new replies.