• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by chomp.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Pitfalls of a second hand ipad?
  • duckman

For a 12 year old. Will an older ipad still run games, itunes etc ok?

kelvin

Ipad3 onwards fine… versions 1&2 now pretty obsolete.

Sandwich

If it’s not running iOS 10 then no. Slow and insecure plus the app may not run at all.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I’m still using an iPad 2 and it’s perfectly fine. Having said that the only game I play is solitaire….

DezB
    Free Member

Its the only game in town

noltae
    Free Member

Planned obsolescence . . Besides he’s too young for said device – Steve Jobs wouldn’t let his kids have one . .

aracer
    Free Member

Really? Just about to replace the screen on an iPad 3 which is still in regular use, still works with current apps and running iOS 8 IIRC (can’t unlock to check at the moment).

Del

Compare to the nvidia android offering new. Don’t know what you’re paying but probably with a look. Thread on here in the last few days.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Don’t go below the Air – anything earlier and iOS upgrades will stop pretty soon (As with the iPad2) rendering many Apps useless (where the latest iOS is required to run / update). The 2017 iPad has 32GB, great processor and is £339 retail before vouchers / cashbk etc. Buying second hand is often not worth it with Apple products. Also make sure that second hand units haven’t had any third party repairs, especially screens.

simon_g

^ Agree with this.

Yes, older stuff will go on working if you never update OS/apps. But things will stop working/updating once it gets too old.

As said, the current iPad is better value than the model it replaces, starts with 32GB which is plenty for most uses and has a massive battery – if you can afford/justify it then you’ll get a good 4+ years of current support then however long after that.

FuzzyWuzzy

What’s your budget OP? I would agree with the replies above saying not to go older than an iPad Air first gen but even they are £200+ second hand.

aracer
    Free Member

Depends on the app – there are only one or two apps we’ve found which don’t work on the iPad3 and yet to have an update for those installed which requires a newer OS. Most mainstream stuff doesn’t require the OS to be updated to anything very modern – why would they limit their market? (the one I can remember which didn’t work was some bobbins free app with a pair of shoes). Sure there will come a time when this doesn’t happen, but we’re a way off that yet – haven’t even updated the OS to the latest available version, so there’s an easy extension available there when it does become a problem. This seems to be an issue which is overstated by those without direct experience of running older hardware.

Sandwich

Really? Just about to replace the screen on an iPad 3 which is still in regular use, still works with current apps and running iOS 8 IIRC

Apologies I ignored the thread for most of the weekend. My original statement was poorly framed. Mrs S has an iPad 2 and it is stuck on iOS9. Slower than a slow thing and she has been warned off banking with it as there are some large security holes in the OS, since patched in the latest release. (One was a drive-by vulnerability when used on public wi-fi). Some of the apps will not update, so further holes to worry about but I’m a foil hat wearing type, ymmv.

duckman

Sigh…max of £200 WAS the plan.

Kato

My old iPad 3 runs like an absolute dog on iOS 9. Basically just use it for watching films on the train because it’s no good for anything else

benp1

Hmmm, interesting. I have an iPad air which works great. The kids use my iPad from 2013. Not sure which model name it is – it’s the first one with a lightning cable, came out as a bit of a surprise release.

Seems to work fairly well but at the same time it’s not being tested – the kids use it for messing about it (4 and 5). Should I stop updating it at some point?

chomp
    Free Member

my old iPad 4 still runs most things with no real issues – certainly well enough for the kids and wife.

There’s been a couple of new games that wouldn’t work but none the kids were interested in

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Pitfalls of a second hand ipad?’ is closed to new replies.