• This topic has 47 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by cxi.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Pipedream Sirius, Sanderson Breath or OnOne Inbred 456?
  • jim_1980
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone own's one of these framed bikes? and if so what are they like? Also whats the build quality like? ive read reviews about the Pipedream and OnOne both very positive but wondering what they are like out in the real world after months pounding the trails.

I plan on getting just a frame and swapping most bits over from my current bike a Focus Northern Light (08)

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I had a Sirius for about a year, supurb frame, shame the decals are not laquered over but otherwise very nicely finished. More important than the finish though, was how it handled, a very capable, versatile and fun frame.

I only sold it to fund my first full sus. I considered the inbred, they ride well, but I was too much of a snob in the end 🙂

poppa
    Free Member

Never heard of a Sanderson Breath before. Looks good on the website, but I hate the name. Couldn't they have at least called it Breathe? I just think of Halitosis.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Is there any particular reason you want steel?

hora
    Free Member

Sanderson- quality and finish are brilliant. They come up abit long though (I had a 18") and I would have preferred a 16" even though Im 6ft

cinnamon_girl

Jim – what size Sirius are you looking for? I may have an unused frame for sale. E-mail in profile.

cxi
    Free Member

I've had a Sirius as my HT for almost two and a half years now.

Had been thinking about changing it but thought it was great for SITS this weekend. I've got Reba Team U-Turns (85-115mm) on it. Currently run a 105mm stem but I think the OE Spesh' riser bars on it are maybe a bit narrow. I might try a wider bar and a ~90mm stem at some point (once I measure the Spesh bars to see just what they are)

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I've been waiting for a Sirius for a few months now. The new ones (due next month) are supposed to be Reynolds 720 with a choice of drop-outs and you can pre-order for a 50% deposit…

Unfortunately Pipedream is shoddy at best when it comes to communicating with potential punters so trying to find out how much 50% actually is, what colours are available and other things a buyer might want to know is difficult to say the least.

Having said that trying to communicating with brodie/progressive bikes and on-one can be an exercise in futility as well in my experience. Are these small "nichey" companies actually wanting to sell more bikes or do they just like the idea of being involved in the trade?! (Minor rant – even I'd only rate it at 2 or 3/10 at best)

Baldysquirt

I have a sirius and have been riding it as my only trail bike since mid 2006. It's a great handling frame and well finished and tough. The head tube is a little long on the 16 inch frame for us shorties, though. I found them very good with communication etc back then.

Mine's built for peaks riding with Recon 351 U-turn forks, Hope hoops 5.1, with fat tyres, LX groupset etc. I find it handles really well at about all fork lengths with the REcons, although for most riding it's best at about 110mm unless it's particular steep up or down.

roper
    Free Member

I have a Sanderson and love it.
    I use it mainly on dry rocky routes where it can take a bit if a bashing. It is as good as climbing as descending. I have used it for short hour blasts or five or six hour rides and it has been good for both. The frame is very responsive to acceleration and the balance is very reassuring when descending. The paintwork is holding up well to stone chips too.

It might be worth checking out sizing and looking at where you will be riding. I'm a little under 6ft and find the 18 a good fit. I would find the 16 a little small for where I ride ( but I do have arms as long as a gibbon).

Northwind

The 456 is staggeringly cheap just now, £125… And it'll keep its resale. So it's worth a flutter, even if you don't like it you won't lose much.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I love my 456 and never had any problems with their service. Had it for nearly two years.

donsimon
    Free Member

Unfortunately Pipedream is shoddy at best when it comes to communicating with potential punters so trying to find out how much 50% actually is, what colours are available and other things a buyer might want to know is difficult to say the least.

Have to disagree, my dealings with Pipedream were excellent, e-mails sent on a Sunday!! Questions answered directly etc. So much so that if I ever get round to but a FS, I would seriously look a Pipedream again.

Sirius is worth a try…Go for it!

jonathan
    Free Member

I have a prototype Ti Pipedream frame that I want to sell, but haven't got round to stripping down and advertising yet… this one:

I've had it for just over a year and it's been very good. Definitely solid and capable – it doesn't get fazed by anything. Was looking for 400 or so, so may be more than you were looking to pay.

The 456 is preposterously cheap though – you'd have to really try hard to lose money on that if you didn't like it. I really like the look of the Decade Virsa, if I was shopping for a steel frame that'd be pretty high on my list.

dobo
    Free Member

pipedream communication was good back when i got my sirius too, one of the reasons i went for it and not another frame.
    its a great fame too, nice steel feel which is noticeably zingy compared to my alu XTC!

the paint works ok, the head badge is shit and the decals lasting better than expected

i've nothing against on one but i just dont get the 456, to me its just a heavy slack angled poor climber, not too sprightly on the singletrack that you can bung any old fork on, only thing going for it is the price.

if you want short travel then sirius is perfect

cxi
    Free Member

That looks very nice Jonathan. What size is it?

punkinpumps
    Free Member

I've an On-One 456 (3 years old)… I think the favourable reviews have a lot to do with Brant Richards' friendships with peeps from the magazines.

Due to delays with getting my forks (ebay monkey) I didn't build mine for about 6 months after purchase. My headtube is ovalised (from new) and had a blob of weld where the headset should be. However a quick fettle with a half round file has pretty much sorted it.

Having said that it does ride well and has taken a fair bit of abuse well.

Basically, if you buy one give it a thorough looking over (if you have a vernier use it).

For the money they are spot on (and their seats are now a tenner a pop, which can't be beaten).

rich.

jonathan
    Free Member

cxi – it's a "medium" as far as I can tell. Measurements seem to match up with the Nevis, or there abouts. I can do actual measurements?

punk in pumps – yup, you don't get much in the way of QC with frames that cheap. On-one quality has always had an element of lottery to it (speaking from experience!)

cinnamon_girl

A very cheeky hijack 😳

An unused Pipedream Sirius frame in large will be going on the Classifieds next week. Price will be £180 which includes headset and possibly BB.

I bought this from here and it was built up for my son who has now decided to go travelling. It hasn't even been ridden!

Hijack over 🙂

Suggsey
    Free Member

I bought into the On One 456 clan about eight months ago now and have mine kitted out with full XT and Thomson seatpost (stem to be updated when wifes not looking) and fitted some 2009 Revelation Dual Air U Turns with Maxle light and a set of Hope Pro 2s on DT 5.1 rims. It is my bike of choice for all rides except really rocky descents (for fear of trashing the kit as I am 17 stone) when I use my Kona Coiler. With the U Turns it climbs well, it is very very comfortable on epic rides (much more comfortable on the back than alu) and handles really well through the singletrack. The Paintwork is holding up really well too compared to earlier models. I looked at Sanderson frames etc etc but £ notes made me go for the On One so I could spend some more moeny on kitting it out.
    I dont know of any dispaointed On One owners when it comes to the way they ride when compared with value for money.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

don simon – Member

Have to disagree, my dealings with Pipedream were excellent, e-mails sent on a Sunday!! Questions answered directly etc. So much so that if I ever get round to but a FS, I would seriously look a Pipedream again.

Sirius is worth a try…Go for it!

Fair enough but about 3 months ago I sent them 2 emails (No reply after a week…) asking about stock and got a reply several weeks later. I immediately replied with a question about prices, colours etc and have heard sod all since then.

If they deign to contact me again I'll probably buy one but I'm certainly not going to bother my arse trying to contact someone who clearly has better things to do than deal with customers.

I'm also still waiting to hear from Si at brodie bikes ref a Cruzado Ti frame for a HT build which I asked for a month ago and which I'll be building next month (Don't bother yourself now Si, I've sized up something else cheers) and On-One didn't bother replying to my question about a problem ordering/paying over the web for a SS build which I wanted last month but again – it's ok now as I ended up buying something from someone else.

(Oh, I wanted the SS build to try the On-One geometry before buying a 456 Ti for the afore-mentioned Ti HT so thats probably 2 bike builds lost – good work on the emails fellas!)

vdubber67
    Free Member

I currently have a 456, and briefly had a a Sirius. Mate had a Breath.

Have to say that 456s are meant to be a different bike to the other two really (hence the 456 bit), since from memory the Sirius and the Breath are 100mm sort of bikes, whereas the 456 is meant for longer travel forks (the 5&6 bits)

Sirius was OK, nothing too special. Love my 456 to bits. Mate loved his Breath. From a personal perspective they 'look' to be lovely frames. Can't comment how they ride.

What about a standard Inbred?

jim_1980
    Free Member

wow cheers for the replys guys, just to let you know a little bit more about my current set up and riding, i have 100mm 2009 Rock Shox Reba SL's on my current bike and mainly ride trail, single track, X country routes with the odd trip to Wales and have a trip planned for the Dales next month.
    Im 5ft11 and find my current focus with a top tube size of 23" a little bit short which isnt a bad thing as it doesnt make the ride uncomfortable but when going down hill a little top heavy because im sitting more upright.

In answer to KINGTUT's question, i am no expert with frames i hear steel gives you a better ride these days but i doubt ill be able to tell also there are a few bits on my frame i dont like e.g v brake knobs on the rear, and im bored with it looks wise so fancy a change.

It seems ive chosen 3 good frames to buy now i have to decide which one.

Baldysquirt

If it's 100mm forks then the Sirius and Breath should be compared to the standard Inbred rather than the 456 IMHO. Also the Rock Lobster TIG team 853 is also a great frame for the kind of build / riding you describe.

jim_1980
    Free Member

Cool thanks for the correction, what is the difference between the 456 and the standard inbred? is it one is set up for bigger forks?
    I looked at the rock lobster 853 but its just out of my price range :o( and has a similar top tube size as my focus.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

In answer to KINGTUT's question, i am no expert with frames i hear steel gives you a better ride these days but i doubt ill be able to tell also there are a few bits on my frame i dont like e.g v brake knobs on the rear, and im bored with it looks wise so fancy a change.

I've had several steel bikes and several Alu bikes, I have now formed the opinion that 'steel is real' is bullshit, yes it's cheaper and easier to fix but it's heavy by comparison unless you want to fall for the con that is Reynolds 853 (I have).

Call me cynical but don't be blinkered into considering a steel frame only.

Ti29er
    Free Member

If you are 5ft 9 or above, why not have a look at the 456's bigger brother, the 29er?
    Join the revolution!
    I realise you'll need different wheels and forks so this adds to the overall cost.

cinnamon_girl

I have found the opposite to KINGTUT. Had a Rock Lobster 853 for two years and found it very comfy for 35 mile cross country rides (whimpers about how skinny and fit I was then!).

There's no comparison to my aluminium hardtail from which the components were swapped over – I felt completely beaten up after long rides.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I have found the opposite to KINGTUT. Had a Rock Lobster 853 for two years and found it very comfy for 35 mile cross country rides (whimpers about how skinny and fit I was then!).

There's no comparison to my aluminium hardtail from which the components were swapped over – I felt completely beaten up after long rides.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying all steel frames are bad and alu are great, for instance I had a Cannondale Alu HT which was very uncomfortable in the rough and I've had a Cotic Soul which was very comfortable, but heres the thing how much is a Cotic Soul nowadays, £470, that's a lot of money when a frame like the alu scandal is just as comfortable at under half the price.

Yer pays yer money and makes yer choice.

tinsy
    Free Member

JIM, snap up the Ti Pipdream now…..

donsimon
    Free Member

Fair enough but about 3 months ago I sent them 2 emails (No reply after a week…) asking about stock and got a reply several weeks later. I immediately replied with a question about prices, colours etc and have heard sod all since then.

If they deign to contact me again I'll probably buy one but I'm certainly not going to bother my arse trying to contact someone who clearly has better things to do than deal with customers.

I'm also still waiting to hear from Si at brodie bikes ref a Cruzado Ti frame for a HT build which I asked for a month ago and which I'll be building next month (Don't bother yourself now Si, I've sized up something else cheers) and On-One didn't bother replying to my question about a problem ordering/paying over the web for a SS build which I wanted last month but again – it's ok now as I ended up buying something from someone else.

(Oh, I wanted the SS build to try the On-One geometry before buying a 456 Ti for the afore-mentioned Ti HT so thats probably 2 bike builds lost – good work on the emails fellas!)

And you haven't got the message yet???? 🙄

On-one were a bit slow replying to me, 3 weeks in total, slow enough that I bought elsewhere.
    Pipedream were the opposite and they got my business, but I suppose all companies will have positive and negative feedback….

😉 (for above comment incase you think I'm being serious)

Country_Gent
    Free Member

See Jim,

I wasn't talking complete crap!

hora
    Free Member

To an extent I agree with you don simon. The stripped-back way of working helps keep down costs and the 'get-satisfaction' function of on-one gave fast-replies. The email system though. It did take CRC-style time responses sometimes.

topangarider
    Free Member

Slight hijack – KINGTUT- if you've still got thos SMICA barends, I'll take them. Email in profile

Sorry!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I'd say the Pipedream isn't only a short travel (~100mm) frame, I used 130mm revelations on mine and it handled just fine. I hardly ever bothered with the U turn to wind them down after the initial experiments.

Stu @ Pipedream was a bit slow on the old replies, but got there eventually when prompted.

northerndan
    Free Member

Hi all – i registered specifically to reply to this post as i felt so positive about the Sirius….dont want to be a sick-afan but the pipedream frame is a fantastic buy (631 – weight geometry handling) and although 6months ago i got almost instant replies to my emails (even on Sundays). I couldn't recommend the frame enough for UK trails, XC and singletrack.

100-115mm fork length is great using rebas u-turn! Enjoy.

Baldysquirt

I didn't say it was 100mm only either – I use mine a hell of a lot at 130mm and it's great fun. However, it is well suited to a 100mm fork if that's what you've got to put on it.

jim_1980
    Free Member

Fantastic looking bike Northen Dan. Thanks for posting much appreciated.
    I think im either going to go for the Sirius or the Breath.

IvanDobski ive also emailed Pipedream, they have an offer on at the mo £225 for a 631 steel Sirius as well as £199 for the normal version so asked them is this the new model or just a one off special and ive also asked them about the new line of frames and if they have any info on prices and also this 50% off you mentione…..and breathe!

Once i hear back ill post on here for you all to see….or not to see if i get nothing :o)
    Thanks again to everyone who has posted. Keep posting, the more info and pics the better for me.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I was told the 631s have all gone but you might hear different! If you do get anything back from them I'd love to know what they say…

It wasn't 50% off unfortunately, you could pre-order for a 50% deposit with the remaining 50% payable when Pipedream get the frames.

jim_1980
    Free Member

got a swift reply from Stuart at Pipedream:

We have new frames arriving in about 1 month's time. They are in fact made from Reynolds 725 tubing which is similar to 631. There will be 2 models – 1 with regular dropouts and 1 with sliding dropouts. Price will be £250 but if you pre-order by making a small deposit then the price will be £225.

At the moment we have none of the standard frames in stock and unfortunately I cannot tell you when they will be back in stock.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Pipedream Sirius, Sanderson Breath or OnOne Inbred 456?’ is closed to new replies.