• This topic has 55 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by -m-.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)
  • Pinder v Fox (again, briefly)
  • jimmy

Read through the other thread, but what was the original problem? Some guy called Pinder’s dropout failed? Or he had a design for new dropout which Fox pinched?

Any linky?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Dunno much about it, but I gather the dropout failed, or something, and he sustained horrible injuries as a result of a crash.

Stoner
    Free Member

are you sure you’ve read the other thread (fred certainly hasnt)? read the linked articles.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/julesandjames/home/disk_and_quick_release/index.html
    http://spoomplim.blogspot.com/

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

His front wheel ejected under braking. The case rested around was this his fault for not doing it up properly or was it foxs fault for using the downward facing dropout and QRs which is a known design flaw

Stoner
    Free Member

which is a known design flaw

which is an alledged design flaw. It has never been proven that the vertical drop out design has resulted in a forced wheel ejection.

jimmy

Thanks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stoner – it has clearly been shown. Hence most for manufacturers moving away from this design.

jimmy

Hence 15mm thru axles?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The issue is not so much the dropout as the precessional forces unscrewing the QR. The downward facing dropoout turns a failure into a potentially catastrophic failure

pk-ripper
    Free Member

Stoner – it has clearly been shown

Where? I still maintain that it has flaws, but at the same time in 99% of cases I’m certain user error will be the contributory factor.

aP
    Free Member

No – 15mm is about shimano/fox establishing a new separate standard from everyone else.

Stoner
    Free Member

TJ – it has never been proven that the drop out design in this case or any other (vertical) contributed to a forced wheel ejection. There’s plenty wrong with the design, but the defence suggested that less-apparent forces were substantial enough to prevent forced wheel ejection even though at FIRST GLANCE the dropout orientation is flawed in common sense.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stoner – read James Annans stuff and sheldon brown and Kinetics ben – as well as others. The precessional forces are easily shown to be there and so is the force that ejects a wheel.

?So the forces that produce the effect are clearly experimentally and theoretically proven IMO of course

Stoner
    Free Member

TJ – you’re deliberately mis-reading what Ive written.

Ill repeat: the case was brought against Fox in respect of the design of the drop out being flawed because of its orientation. That the precessional forces exist was never contested. It has still not been found by a judge (nor evidenced by the two technical witnesses in court, James Annan’s theoretical work or Ben’s experiments) that the braking action can develop sufficient forces to pull the wheel out BY VIRTUE OF THE VERTICAL DROPOUT design.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Oh, right, ok.

But is this not the only case where someone has sustained such serious injuries? Has this ‘design flaw’ led to lots of other crashes?

Sorry, I’m just not up on all this, as quite frankly, I don’t really find it very interesting.

The techy stuff, I mean; don’t mean any disrespect to the poor young man who was paralysed.

brant
    Free Member

His front wheel ejected under braking.

Did it?

I know he, his bike, half his forks and his front wheel were found at various points going down The Gap, but I’m not sure if it “ejected under braking”.

Perhaps the QR failed under a torsional load, and the wheel fell out?

pk-ripper
    Free Member

TJ, again, I draw you to my point in the other thread. There is a mass of real world data to draw from on this one – how many people have been using forks of an identical design, with discs, perfectly successfully for an extended period of time? I’d say a hell of a lot.

No-one is contesting that the forces exist, that’s a mechanical fact. But, it’s the extent of those forces being sufficient to cause the wheel to remove itself from the forks as they are presently designed that is the fact under contention. I don’t believe, that without contributory negligence on the users part that they are. I’ll happily be proved wrong, but at present I’m not aware of any evidence to do so.

Stoner
    Free Member

Russ’ evidence was that the wheel came out when he braked as a reflex to hearing a strange noise from his front wheel (believed to be the rubbing of the tyre on the inside of the left lower leg), the rubbing suggesting that the QR had worked loose. The allegded design flaw was that should a QR become loose, the orientation of the dorp out made forced wheel ejection possible under braking. A forward facing drop out would theoretically prevent it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stoner – I believe differently – I believe that the forces produced have easily been shown to be enough to eject a wheel. However solid proof is hard to come by on this sort of thing. James Annans work shows the magnitude of the forces – easily enough to rip the wheel out. disputed by others and there appears to be no unbiased views.

IWH
    Free Member

I still don’t understand why ultimately he didn’t go after the manufacturer of the QR if that’s what they are maintaining actually caused the accident.

While (as previously stated) I do feel sorry for Russ I’d have to say the 10’s of thousands (at least!) of other sets in constant use has got to go some way to showing that the setup, while (potentially) flawed isn’t as dangerous as some would like us to believe.

I guess the sad thing is that now we’ll never really know unless we get somebody from Fox very, very drunk 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

TJ what you believe is still not proof of cause of failure. All the theoretical evidence presented in court (pretty much along the lines of Annans work etc) was compelling, but fell down on lack of evidential proof. Similarly, the defense could not calculate the resultant forace at the drop out either but made an equally compelling theoretical assertion as to the size of the frictional force acting against the resultant force in the direction of the dropout. This impasse leaves the proof wanting for either side not to mention the out of court settlement also robbing us of an unbiased interepretation of the evidence by a judge.

So I maintain, it’s wrong to say it’s a known design flaw.

Stoner
    Free Member

IWH – Pinder’s team claimed that precessional forces loosened the QR, although I agree some element of the accident could be attributed solely to the QR function. BUT, the claim against Fox related to the assertion that notwithstanding the cause of a loose QR, a vertical drop out permitted a forced ejection of the wheel under braking, where a properly tested design would have come up with a forward facing drop out to negate the risk of forced ejection. That design element was solely in the hands of Fox as QR orientation has no impact on IS mounts/OLN standards etc.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Fair enough stoner. I believe it has been proven. That does not mean it has been proven to everyones satisfaction. Balance of probabilities / beyond all reasonable doubt???.

Try an experiment – turn your bike upside down and slacken the QR. Spin the wheel and apply the brake – and watch it jump right out of the dropouts.

IWA – Its the dropout design that means a QR failure is catastrophic ( assuming you accept the arguments about magnitude of forces)

Stoner
    Free Member

your experiment only proves that geometrically ejection is possible. That has never really been denied and I agree, at first glance geometrically that is the problem. It is the real life combination of forces that has been argued over and the defence maintained that when all forces are taken into account even if they are not able to each be isolated and measured, the resultant force is never sufficient to forcibly eject the wheel except under extreme non-real-life conditions (such as zero rider masss etc).

brant
    Free Member

Try an experiment – keep your bike the right way up and remove the QR. Lift the wheel off the ground and shake the bike around. The wheel will fall out.

nickc

Try an experiment – turn your bike upside down and slacken the QR. Spin the wheel and apply the brake – and watch it jump right out of the dropouts.

It may very well do that, but it’s an utterly pointless experiment. Do the same thing with the bike sitting on it’s wheels, and amazingly enough, nothing really happens at all. Don’t know about you, but it’s not often i find myself in the contrived position your experiment describes

Bimbler
    Free Member

I keep thinking these threads are about Sam Fox vs Lucy Pinder

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

NickC try it – you will be amazed the force with which the wheel comes out.

nickc

TJ, yes I know, I’ve tried your experiment myself ages ago when Annan started describing the phenomenon. It made me check my QRs. I can’t see how in the real world it describes anything like a circumstance one might find ones-self in.

No one is disagreeing that a loose QR and disc brakes can be a dangerous combination, but if it demonstrated anything, the court case demonstrated that it wasn’t as simple a case of a loose QR, as I posted on the bike thread, the independent technical witness summed it up eloquently when he said:

As to why Russ could have ridden many miles (and indeed the very trail of the accident at least 10 times) without the wheel coming out, the witness said that whilst the theoretical sequence could be defined it was only in a combination of many complex factors (many of which he believed were either not able to be identified yet, or if they are not adequately explained) acting in exactly the right manner that the very unfortunate sequence could occur in real life.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Bikes should be banned

sootyandjim
    Free Member

IWH – Perhaps the QR manufacturer doesn’t have as deep pockets as Fox or as large a market share and image to protect. Even though I believe user error was the cause Fox couldn’t really have risked a wrongful judgement and therefore an out of court settlement was always on the cards and no doubt Pinder was counting on this.

mrmo
    Free Member

nickc i mentioned this on the original thread, if the bike leaves the ground, drop off, rough ground, and you apply the front brake that would make it much easier for the wheel to come out.

What i can’t get my head round is how you don’t notice the QR is undone?

retro83
    Free Member

What i can’t get my head round is how you don’t notice the QR is undone?

If the information here is correct, vibration (or rather any motion between the interface and the bolt head) can loosen the QR. So maybe it was only loose for a few seconds, then he noticed the bike felt strange or heard a noise and instinctively pulled on the brake.

cheers_drive

I expecyed this thread to be a comparison between a classic page 3 girl of the 80’s to her modern contempory.
    You can imagine my disappointment…..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mrmo – braking over bumps cause a precessional force that unscrews the QR

Kit
    Free Member

Fox v Pinder? A much more interesting debate 😀

v

hora
    Free Member

OP, in a really nice way- couldnt you have posed this question on the Pinder v Fox thread? After all the subject was being discussed there? Just a crazy thought I’d like to throw in there.

andym
    Free Member

OP, in a really nice way- couldnt you have posed this question on the Pinder v Fox thread? After all the subject was being discussed there? Just a crazy thought I’d like to throw in there.

Seems like a reasonable thing to do, if you don’t want to derail the original thread. It wasn’t jimmy’s fault people took the opportunity to have the same argument all over again on this thread as well.

Stoner
    Free Member

TJ – just to re-emphasise the inadeqacy of your experiment, your construct describes a situation without wheel friction giving a retarding force under braking and without the normal force as a result of the rider mass. They are two of the three forces keeping the hub in the dropout (the other being QR clamping force). However, I do agree that if the wheel has left the ground AND the QR is loose, then in theory on application of the brake, there are NO forces keeping the hub in the dropout and there is then potential for the resultant force created by braking around the caliper to forcibly eject the wheel if the drop out vertical.

However, with a forward facing drop out, even in your construct, the wheel CANNOT be forcibly ejected – this puts the onus on the dropout orientation IMO rather than any other aspect of the accident.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stoner – I think we are arguing over minutiae.

From my understanding the forces even with the rider on the bike and the wheel on the ground are easily sufficient to eject the wheel. The leverage ratios and stuff easily will do it. I would do some experimenting but I only have discs on bikes with 20mm axles. James annan calculates a force od 1800N and cannondale give almost twice that figure for the force acting to push the wheel out of the dropout. Easily enough to lift the weight of the rider and bike. I can’t see any flaw in either set of calculations

As you say tho – the orientation of the droppouts is the crucial thing

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Pinder v Fox (again, briefly)’ is closed to new replies.