Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pillar Seatposts – How do they work
  • Netdonkey

I have an old Peugeot roadbike that I am building up. It came with a pillar seatpost but no saddle. I am confused as to how a saddle would be mounted.

Anyone help?

wwaswas

you don’t use a saddle.

they were hard as nails in the old days.

(the other alternative is that they had saddles that incorporated a way of clamping it to the post, which if iirc from my younger years was probably the case)

MrTall
    Free Member

Attachment in on the saddle and clamps on.

Halfords still use them i think on some of their very budget bikes so they may sell the saddles seperately if you need one.

New seatpost may be a far easier option unless you are trying to keep it as original as possible?

trail_rat
    Free Member

your lbs will sell a widget to go under saddle

very common on kids bikes as the teeth get shreaded easy

nickjb
    Free Member

One of these:

…or a new post

Netdonkey

Ahh, that makes sense. off to see if the widget thing is in the bag of bolts and stuff, iff not off to the bike shop.

Thanks

ND

campfreddie
    Free Member

i reckon someone like hope or USE should bring this concept back and introduce a ‘mix & match’ seatpost system where you can choose from alloy, ti or carbon posts of various thicknesses all with a universal top and then you can choose from various top brackets with different degrees of layback and material (ie. weight).

when you go from bike to bike, you can swap just the part you need rather than invest in a complete post.

just my 2p’s worth

brant
    Free Member

i reckon someone like hope or USE should bring this concept back and introduce a ‘mix & match’ seatpost system where you can choose from alloy, ti or carbon posts of various thicknesses all with a universal top and then you can choose from various top brackets with different degrees of layback and material (ie. weight).

when you go from bike to bike, you can swap just the part you need rather than invest in a complete post.

just my 2p’s worth

hmm…

I’m off to Taiwan this evening. Sat in a departure lounge at Manchester Airport right now.

Hmmm

BigJohn

That’s what I’ve got on my commuter and it works. Heavy, but it works.

campfreddie
    Free Member

brant, just remember it was my idea… if you end up doing that, i think i deserve one as a royalty!

brant
    Free Member

brant, just remember it was my idea… if you end up doing that, i think i deserve one as a royalty!

I think so too. Now in Amsterdam departure lounge 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

Pound land had seats and clamps that would fit that when I was in there on Saturday

giantalkali
    Free Member

I think so too. Now in Amsterdam departure lounge

In that case you’ll have heard their announcement that begins ‘atenchi ausch-toe-beef’ I didn’t understand, but I heard it enough times…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pillar Seatposts – How do they work’ is closed to new replies.