Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Pikes to revs any difference? (axle content)
  • bigsam
    Free Member

So ive come to the conclusion that I need new forks (they have to be brand new as I need the full steerer length) and im liking the new revelations (in 150mm dual air), the only problem I can see is that the only ones I can afford have a 15mm axle, whereas my current pikes are 20mm( I have the relevnt hub adaptors etc).Will I notice much in the way of flex between the two? Im hoping that because the revs are a new chassis compared to the pikes they will already be stiffer and therefore a smaller axle wont make much difference.
    What are your thoughts?

rocketman
    Free Member

Have some Rev Teams with a 20mm axle and they are light for a reason. They flex backwards and forwards and bow outwards when landing heavily.

In terms of tuneability they are most excellent but I think the chassis is pushed to the max in 140/150 mm guise.

Allegedly there’s a lot of the flex is in the steerer and a 1.5″ is the way to go if you can.

Good luck

bigsam
    Free Member

cheers for the reply i shall bear that in mind

orena45

I went from 20mm Maxle 1 1/8 steerer coil Pikes to 15mm Maxle tapered Dual Air Revs a few months back and not noticed any difference in stiffness. To be fair, I’m not the type of person who would notice it anyway and I’m only 10.5st (bit more with me kit on!) but I do hammer the descents and am happy to get my wheels a few feet in the air, and the Revs are great.

The difference in weight is the most obvious thing…much easier to get the front end up when needed. Also the tuneability is good as well with the Dual Air.

MadPierre

I went from Pikes to Rev’s on two bikes but still with 20mm axles. Didn’t notice any stiffness differences. Did notice how much better black box damping felt over motion control….

DrP

I went from 20mm Maxle 1 1/8 steerer coil Pikes to 15mm Maxle tapered Dual Air Revs a few months back and not noticed any difference in stiffness. To be fair, I’m not the type of person who would notice it anyway and I’m only 10.5st (bit more with me kit on!) but I do hammer the descents and am happy to get my wheels a few feet in the air, and the Revs are great.

The difference in weight is the most obvious thing…much easier to get the front end up when needed. Also the tuneability is good as well with the Dual Air.
    Posted 25 minutes ago #
    Mad Pierre – Member

I went from Pikes to Rev’s on two bikes but still with 20mm axles. Didn’t notice any stiffness differences. Did notice how much better black box damping felt over motion control….
    Posted 18 minutes ago #

This!

DrP

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Depends what sort of riding but the weight saving and damping improvement is worth the small drop in stiffness.

the revs are a new chassis compared to the pikes they will already be stiffer

I went from a 454 air u-turn to RLT Ti (both 20mm though) and saved nearly 450g. This weight saving comes with a loss of stiffness, but it’s only when pushing hard, seems to be more fore/aft, flutter in bumps, under hard landings and heavy g-outs rather than when steering.

The dual flow rebound is a massive improvement though. Much better control at speed over fast repeated hits, no more packing down and sitting mid travel.

Superficial
    Free Member

As above, I went from some Pike 454s to 2012 Rev RCT3s and the difference in damping is easily noticeable, so the forks track much better over rough ground / repeated hits anyway. I’ve not noticed the Revs being any flexier – partly I’m sure because of the above. On the other hand, I’m sure the Pikes are stiffer – they’re a good pound heavier and most of that is in the chassis – so it’s a question as to whether the difference is noticeable to you. For me, I’d say it’s not. YMMV.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Pikes to revs any difference? (axle content)’ is closed to new replies.