Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Pikes stuck at around 5% sag. help
  • danjthomas
    Free Member

They were stuck at 20% but I pulled the to 10% which worked at the weekend. I just serviced the lowers and noticed that the air side shaft couldn’t be pulled out far without ducking baback in.. not sure if this is normal or not bubut on completion of the service at 100 + psi I can’t get full travel. Confirmed buy a ruler and the 150mm marking on the stancion.

I could sent it back to Evans on Warrenth but I want to ride this Sunday. Is this an easy fix?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Probably the same problem as many others have had, a blocked negative air chamber port.

danjthomas
    Free Member

Quick fix or a job for the pros?

KonaTC
    Simon

If they’re like my solo air Revelations then there will be a negative air schraeder valve inside the left hand lower leg.
    Let the pressure out of the main air valve at the top then unscrew the bolt on the LH lower and peak inside, there will be a valve, let the pressure out and re-inflate the main valve.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rs-solo-air-fork-issues

dirtydog
    Free Member

When you reassembled after the lower leg service did you do it with the upper stantions fully extended or only partly extended if it where the latter then you may have created a vacuum in the lowers when you reinflated them?

With forks fully extended push a cable tie down the side of the dust/oil seal this will allow the pressure in the lowers to equalise.

If the above doesn’t work then its a warrany issue.

See this thread

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rockshox-pike-problem-please-help-before-they-go-in-the-bin

danjthomas
    Free Member

No hidden valve on the pikes. Where is the hole that will be blocked? Where do I access it from?

danjthomas
    Free Member

Cheers dirty dog.
    I had the forks full compressed when I bolted the lowes back on. I followed the mbe video. Should I try taking off the bolt and re tightening it at full travel?

dirtydog
    Free Member

Thats your problen then, yes undo bolts and allow air into lower legs (you might have to give them a tap to release them and allow air in) then with stanchions fully extended tighten up lowers.

Job done!

Ps you can do the same by pushing a cable tie down the dust/oil seals this releases the oil seal enough to allow air in, probably best not to make a habbit of it though as it may, although unlikely, damage the seals.

danjthomas
    Free Member

Either waway the cable tie trick failed. The air spring ducks into to stanion when all air is realeased. Is this a sign of the port being blocked. How do I get to the port

danjthomas
    Free Member

IIn fact, I can’t even get the bolt to reach through to meet the thread when the air chamber is empty

dirtydog
    Free Member

Should be done with Forks fully inflated, don’t release any air out of the air spring.

danjthomas
    Free Member

But that goes against every instruction I’ve read, from sram and others!

dirtydog
    Free Member

Ok if its easier…with fork fully assembled, fully inflate, then whilst fork is fully extended push a cable tie down side of dust/oil seal, repeat for each leg, if that doesn’t work then its a warranty job.

Haven’t read instructions but have successfully serviced a few Rockshox forks amongst others.

danjthomas
    Free Member

That actually worked.., than you.. hopefully it will stay at that on the next ride.

creamegg
    Free Member

Same happened to me when I followed the MBR video. I now assemble with air in the chamber and spring fully extended.

No hidden valve on the pikes. Where is the hole that will be blocked? Where do I access it from?

Theres a groove on the inside of the lowers (air spring side) which can sometimes get blocked with grease. Its only about 5mm long so quite easy not to notice it

danjthomas
    Free Member

Creme egg. Where do o access the groove from? Removing the metal ring clip and pulling out the plunger? Is it on the plunger?

RickDraper
    Free Member

Yes to get access to the air transfer port you need to remove the air shaft assembly from the bottom of the leg.

dirtydog
    Free Member

@danjthomas

For what it’s worth I don’t think it’s a problem with the port, I think it’s just that you reattatched the lowers whilst the forks where compressed.

I’ve not seen that video but if that’s how they’re telling you to do then its wrong, all air forks, to the best of my knowledge, should be reassembled with forks fully extended otherwise you will cause a vacuum in the lowers when they are extended, glad it’s sorted anyway.

danjthomas
    Free Member

Thanks all.

danjthomas
    Free Member

does this look right? 150mm

dirtydog
    Free Member

Yes, picture shows zero sag with bike unweighted.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Pikes stuck at around 5% sag. help’ is closed to new replies.