Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Pikes 27.5 with 140mm travel do they exist ?? For Transition scout
  • jimr80
    Free Member

I’m looking to get some pikes for my new build,a Transition Scout. They recommend a 140mm front fork and i had seen that the full bikes come with 140mm version. I have tried a lot of the usually shops including ze German sites and have come up blank.
    I have looked on the Sram website which is a little confusing as to start off with they say that you can get 130,150 and 160mm in 27.5. But then as you scroll down to specs it mentions 27.5 x 140mm are an availabe option.
    sram link
    So has someone got better Google skills than me or do they not exist.
    Failing that what are guys with Scouts running up front, ie 150mm or Revelations or 34s.

fathomer

Not sure you can buy them at 140mm but you can certainly buy air springs to lower the travel. I’ve got mine at 130mm.

frogstomp

Details for which air spring you need and how to change it here

tomhoward

The kit to lower mine from 150 to 140 has just arrived. So yeah, definitely do-able.

benpinnick

140 is OE only, but fit a 26″ 150 air spring and you’re golden… Or just add a spacer / bumper under the air shaft would probably do it too….

deviant
    Free Member

140mm Revs in 26 variety are great on my HT and not so much travel for them to become ‘noodly’ or flexy like long travel Fox-32s used to get like.

I even ran a 150mm Rev on a 27.5 Trance last year will no probs….only went for larger diameter stanchions when I upped the travel to 160mm at the front…I used X-Fusion Sweeps which can be internally spaced down in 10mm increments for your needs, lovely fork too. Requires about 20psi less for my weight than the Revelation that was in there before, plush is often overused with suspension but in this case it’s all true.

X-Fusion stuff sits in its mid travel far more than previous Fox and Rockshox stuff I’ve used but has an uncanny knack of never getting overwhelmed or bottoming out either.

jimr80
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies chaps.
    I shall look at the 150mm travel Pikes and see if i can get the relevant air spring to reduce the travel. I probably ride them at 150mm for a while to see how that goes.

julzm
    Free Member

Pike 140mm definitely OE only. I have them on my 5010 and they are awesome. My OH just got TFTuned to reduce the travel on a set of FOX36. Excellent service and it wasn’t expensive.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If this is a 2015 frame I would recommend 150 these frames have a low BB.

darrenspink
    Free Member

I’ve run my scout on 150 pikes for 5 mths, used in a few enduro races and out on my local trails and centres and would not want to lower them. Im sure your come to the same conclusion.

jimr80
    Free Member

yes 2015 frame so will give 150mm a go first,
    So wheres the best deal to be had?

welshfarmer

Good deals on Rockshox stuff to be had from your local bike shop. SRAM have given them the abilty fo offer heavy discount to match the cheap forks from the continent and the on-line wholesalers. I had a set of 2016 boxed Pikes (with all ancillaries) a month ago from Drover Cycles in Hay for the same money as the German sites sell at, and only a few bob more than Chain Reaction were selling 2014 forks without the tokens, seals and pump.

Got to be worth a visit to your LBS and give them a chance.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Keep an eye on the conversion rate and look for codes on eu sites, rosebikes, bikediscount, alltricks etc. I got mine from chain reaction in the end after joining BC and got 10% off. But as above if your LBS can match the price go with them, unless they’re sh*t of course 😀

scruff
    Free Member

How are you Scout owners finding them? Cable runs, bearings, alignment, finish etc?

ahsat

I bought some 150 mm 27.5″ Pikes from the Germans (for my Spitfire), watch BBC news and guess when the euro will respond to Greece and press buy! Worked out £150 cheaper than buying in the UK back at the start of the year and the exchange rate has got even better since then. Note, PayPal exchange rate is naff, I got much better rate with my Nationwide credit card.

jimr80
    Free Member

I see that the Transition website says the fork should have an offset of 42mm.
    Do all 27.5 pikes come with an offset and do I need check they are 42mm or is that standard?

jeremyd42
    Free Member
    hamishthecat
    Free Member
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Pikes 27.5 with 140mm travel do they exist ?? For Transition scout’ is closed to new replies.