• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hora.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Pike RC or RCT3
  • fathomer

I know this has been done before, but……….

Anyone ridden both and can give a comparison? I’m trying to decide if the RCT3 is worth the extra cash, about £80 from what I’ve found, over the RC.

ashweee
    Free Member

From what was said in the recent thread on this the only difference between the two is the rct3 has got a “trail” mode whereas the rc’s are either open or locked out. I don’t think its worth the extra money for that mode so I bought a pair of rc’s from alltricks for an upcoming build.

sazter

As above, AFAIK that’s the only difference, I turn my RC’s halfway through the lockout for ‘trail’

wl
    Free Member

Very happy with my RCs. A mate who runs the posher ones says they’re slightly better, but mine are certainly good enough for me. Never been arsed about pre-sets and lockouts etc.

hora
    Free Member

CRC are shipping 2015 Fox 34 Talas CTDs for £429. They state 2014’s on the website but they sent me a 2015 one. Worth considering.

br
    Free Member

CRC are shipping 2015 Fox 34 Talas CTDs for £429. They state 2014’s on the website but they sent me a 2015 one. Worth considering.

Did you just sell a pair of Pikes (on the classifieds) to buy those?

hora
    Free Member

I thought they were ‘ok’ but tbh I wasn’t spanking one out everytime I rode on them. I’m keeping an eye out for the new 36’s to come down in price etc – then it’ll be a no-brainer.

fathomer

I’ll be buying Pikes, more than likely RC’s after this, though I don’t really like the gloss finish, but hey ho.

Thanks all 😀

julians
    Free Member

Ive just bought a set of rct3 pikes, and I have to say I’m very impressed with them, they’re very nearly as good as my coil sprung marzocchi 55 rc 3 ti that they are replacing.

Small bump sensitivity is excellent, they don’t seem to dive through their travel, damping seems well controlled, and they’re lightweight.

No complaints from me.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Sure I’ve seen RC specced with the matt finish, although maybe that’s the forthcoming retail version.

To be honest the gloss just looks like any other black Rochshox, and as I put a big gouge in mine within a couple of rides I’m glad I didn’t spend a fortune on a fancy paint job and an preset dial. The RC basically can do the same as the RCT3, just you have to remember where in the compression dial to set it.

I was impressed by the feel over small bumps and fast blast over piles of rocks and roots. So much that it made me fiddle about with my Lyriks on the bouncy bike to get them feeling the same (I’d not really played with the settings much). And yes they’re not divy.

cubemeup
    Free Member

Hora, cant see the Fox 36’s coming down in price bud
    the RCT3’s are a much fork to the RC, you have no Low or High speed compression the RC’s

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

the RCT3’s are a much fork to the RC, you have no Low or High speed compression the RC’s

Sorry that’s wrong. The RCT3’s don’t have high speed compression adjust and the RC’s have low speed compression adjust the same as the RCT3.

High speed is internally shimmed on both models.

Anyway, I’m going to get a Mattoc in old school Boxxer red to be different.

deviant
    Free Member

Got the RC myself, sent it away to TFtuned and had something done to the compression dial that seems to have given me loads of adjustment instead of just open or locked.
    Was less than £50 to do IIRC.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

In the year or so I’ve had my RCT3s I have not even touched the lever to change mode, always left fully open. Great forks. Assuming you get the same compression adjustment options I’d save the extra and buy the RC model.

deadkenny
    Free Member

As said, the compression adjustment is the same, just low speed compression. The difference is that the Pike RCT3 uses the bottom dial as easy presets for lock, climb and open and a small dial on top for the actual LS compression adjust. The RC just uses the one dial as LS compression adjusting between lock and open with something like 20 or so clicks between the two so plenty of adjustment. There will be minor internal differences to deal with the different dials, but other than that they’re essentially the same charger damper.

Oh and they both come with the bottomless tokens to adjust on the air shock

hora
    Free Member

Oh there will be people who buy/own lots of top end bikes, don’t ride em then get bored. I’ve bought many mint frames etc this way overtime. I even bought a brand NOS Blur4X that the lad had stored in his shed for years as he hadn’t got round to ever building it 😯

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Pike RC or RCT3’ is closed to new replies.