Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Pike or Revelation on Bird Zero 1
  • tillyfishes
    Free Member

Wondering of anyone has tried both forks on a Bird Zero 1. What are thoughts is the £100 upgrade worth it for a charger damper? Have heard of both issues on both forks and wondering which is easier to service?

Northwind

The Rev’s certainly easier to service- no sealed damper to bleed so it’s all standard tools, etc. I’ve not actually serviced the Pike yet, you do need an extra tool but it doesn’t look hard to do. Lower leg services are the same for both though and dead easy on both.

TBH I’d have the Revs personally , if they’re RCT3 revs which I assume they are considering the small price difference. But most people would choose the Pikes. I’m just not that bothered about the stiffness difference, on a hardtail especially, and I’m not as blown away by the Pike damper as most folks- I think my Blackbox revs are pretty much on the same level.

But I reckon my personal preference is the minority and Pikes might well be the right answer.

Superficial
    Free Member

Agree with Northwind about the damper but disagree about the stiffness. My Pikes are plenty stiffer than my 2012 Revs and much more confidence inspiring. Whether that translates to a difference in speed I don’t know, and will depend on rider weight, terrain, speed etc. The Pikes are still quite a bit heavier.

They are both similarly easy to service the air spring and lower legs. The damper service is trickier on the Pike but it’s not something you need to do often anyway.

eltonerino

In true STW style, ignoring half of the post and recommending what you own… The Sweeps are a great choice too. I’m more than happy with mine 🙂
    If they’re good enough for that £6.5K bike in fresh goods Friday…

br
    Free Member

only 100g difference, so I’d go for Pikes

grobin13
    Free Member

For what it’s worth I have just bought a Zero 1 with the Revs. The money you save covers the cost of the stealth dropper. First ride out was on the black at Hamsterley and I had more fun than on my SC Bronson (that had pikes)..

deadkenny
    Free Member

Pikes. Just really impressed by Pikes. The servicing aspect I’ll come to later, but they made me go and play with my Lyriks on the big bike realising they were never set up properly as the Pikes are just so good out of the box.

I’ve not fiddled with tokens in the Pikes. They feel great as they are.

tillyfishes
    Free Member

Cool thanks for the thoughts lools like revs are the best choice. Has anyone ever had problems with them have heard stories on forums of fotks locking out after lond descenys ect.

Northwind

FWIW the Pikes are noticably stiffer. Just, both forks are stiff enough that I don’t really care. TBH I need to go down to Fox 32s or my older QR Revs before I find a difference that I’d actually pay money for. But it’s totally ymmv.

benpinnick

How heavy are you?

br
    Free Member

Cool thanks for the thoughts lools like revs are the best choice.

Eh, looks like the vast majority said buy the Pikes?

warpcow
    Free Member

Um, 3 for and 3 against isn’t even a majority, let alone a vast one.

jamesfts
    Free Member

On a hardtail Revs are fine, you don’t have to match them up to rear sus and they’re plenty stiff enough. I’ve not heard anywhere near as many people having problems with them as the Pikes either.

If you haven’t got one then put the money saved towards a dropper, it’ll make more of a difference.

Superficial
    Free Member

Considering basically everyone who owns a mountain bike is using Pikes, I think there are very few reported issues with them. I’ve certainly not heard of anything major… at all?

russyh
    Free Member

I have Revs on my Bird Zero, really struggled to get them dialled. Was about to order a set of pikes this week, but had another fiddle and thy are pretty damn good now. Previously they had felt super harsh, but dropped the PSI a little 4 clicks on compression dampening and the fact they are now properly worn in. They feel great. If however I had my time of ordering the bike again. Well I would pick the Pikes. I loved the Pikes on my Orange Five. Perhaps its a placebo effect. But I also feel like I cheapened myself not buying them when i bought the bike!

tillyfishes
    Free Member

Im 62kg and thought that getting pike at 150 would make the head angle even slacker which see a good idea

eltonerino

And you can get an angleset for £50, so you can slacken an extra 1.5 degrees too.

br
    Free Member

It’d been handy to know you are only 62kg, Revs I’ll be more than fine.

chiefgrooveguru

Im 62kg and thought that getting pike at 150 would make the head angle even slacker which see a good idea

I wouldn’t get them for that reason, especially as you can get the Bird with whatever angle adjust headset you want. I haven’t ridden Revs but Pikes are really good. At 62kg and on a hardtail the increase in stiffness may not be noticeable but the damper is very good and they’re fairly tunable (although seem to be harder to dial in for lighter riders).

thegreatape
    Free Member

Have you rung them up and chatted to them about it? They were pretty helpful when I was choosing between Revs, Pikes and Sweeps.

tricky1984
    Free Member

I’d go for the x-fusions and see if you can spend the difference else where on the bike. I can’t remember the model names of them but im sure they have a burleyer model for their full sus bike, they put them on a zero if you ask them. That’s what I’m thinking about doing for mine anyway. Don’t think I’ll ever use anything from sram ever again, I’ve had issues with avid brakes and My pikes and they couldn’t careless. Pikes have a known fault with the bushings. But that’s my personal opinion you obviously will have your own opinion

benpinnick

At 62kg I would seriously consider the sweep fork. The Pikes are great, but the damping doesn’t work particularly well for lighter riders as the transition onto the high speed compression can feel very harsh. its really noticeable as you move off the pedal platform, meaning you can only really run it wide open if you’re light, defeating the point of having the platform options and LSC adjustment. Its fixable (of course) with a tune up and a lighter oil mix, but you’re spending even more money to get back the same kind of performance you’d get from a sweep anyway. We can do you a 150mm sweep if you want, but TBH I would opt for the angleset option (-1 or -1.5) and stick at 140 if you want a slacker HA -its a £50 upgrade that gives you all the cup options to mess about later, and a premium (£170) headset!

tillyfishes
    Free Member

Being young and still growing i feel that it want to buy kit which will let me run when i grow and get heavier. Im 5′ 11′ and was going for the large frame. So rulling put pikes dose one benifit from the adjustability of the rev or will sweeps provide enough damping. The adjustability of revs seems a nice idea but is it worth the extra money.

thegreatape
    Free Member

62kg? Do you anticipate your weight more than doubling? If not, then don’t worry about the Sweeps becoming unsuitable as you get heavier.

tillyfishes
    Free Member

Thinking the revs will work well especially as i will growjo.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Pike or Revelation on Bird Zero 1’ is closed to new replies.