Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pike or Lyrik?
  • bnkz
    Free Member

Need some opinions of whether to go for 150mm Pikes or 160mm Lyirks. Bronson C build and doing enduro/trial riding.
    Cheers in advance

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pike at that length for me

joebristol

I’ve had neither but have a Yari with the same chassis as the Lyrik. The fork is rock solid in terms of stiffness, but the Pike isn’t too far behind.

As I understand it the air spring is different though – the Lyrik has a bigger negative spring I think (unless this changes for 2017 boost only Rockshox forms) so it’s more keen to get moving at the start of the travel.

I think the decision comes down to do you mind the bit of extra weight of the Lyrik over the pike? If you don’t then it’s Lyrik all the way. That would be my choice out of the two.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Pike, and bike forum would probably get you better answers…

nickjb
    Free Member

Pike for me. Very capable fork at a reasonable weight

poah
    Free Member

Manitou mattoc with IRT

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ll differ then.

Lyrik.

I found my 2015 Pike to be a bit stiffer than my 2013 Revs and not much difference in performance. After the hyperbole of the release and glowing reviews I was underwhelmed.

The new Lyrik is the fork the Pike lauded as being. Stiffer, plusher, more controlled. Given the relatively small internal changes the results are significant.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

You can extend the Pike to 160mm with a different air shaft (27.5).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Running a 160mm on my Bronson cc, with luftkappe. Definitely feels as good as the lyrik I had on my capra.

chakaping
    Free Member

Assuming you’re looking at the latest model of each fork, it really comes down to whether you’ll be ploughing into rocks much of the time.

Basically, where’s it gonna be ridden?

chiefgrooveguru

The new Lyrik is the fork the Pike lauded as being. Stiffer, plusher, more controlled. Given the relatively small internal changes the results are significant.

I recall reading that a 170mm Lyrik is about as stiff as a 150mm Pike, which is far from a massive difference. I think the bigger difference is in the air spring, with the Lyrik having more negative volume.

The 2018 Pike has the same air spring as the Lyrik (and the damper has always been the same) so it purely comes down to chassis stiffness/strength differences in the newest version.

The 2013-2017 Pike does feel a lot nicer and behave better with a Luftkappe to improve the air spring by increasing negative and decreasing positive volumes.

chakaping
    Free Member

I recall reading that a 170mm Lyrik is about as stiff as a 150mm Pike, which is far from a massive difference.

Was this in a German magazine lab test or something like that? Doesn’t chime with my experience of riding the forks at those lengths TBH. Lyrik felt noticeably stiffer.

chiefgrooveguru

Was this in a German magazine lab test or something like that?

I think it was a quote from SRAM when the new Lyrik was launched. How can you compare though? 20mm more travel will significantly change the feel of the fork and the geometry on the same bike.

Northwind

If it’s the new models then either is good, if it’s older then the Lyrik is better imo because of the negative spring

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pike or Lyrik?’ is closed to new replies.