Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pike compression/lockout stopped working
  • grumm
    Free Member

Just done the 'nail varnish fix' on my Pikes – seems to have worked ok but on putting them back together the compression/lockout no longer seems to be working. What is the likely cause of this?

All I did was take off the uppers, varnish/sand them, clean out the seals and inside of the lowers, then put them back together and put some 15wt oil back in both lowers. Have I done something daft here?

Ta.

They're the coil U turn Pikes that came on my Pitch btw.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Mine have just started doing this too. Sorry, no answers yet! I'm going to open them up next week and try to fix it though. I guess one of the seals is knack'd. If nobody gets back to you I'll let you know what I find.

You could phone TF's as well, they were spectacularly helpful with me in the past.

trailmonkey

Oil level ? Needs to be pretty precise iirc

Rockplough
    Free Member

Lack of compression/lockout usually means insufficient oil in the motion control unit. You could easily check this without dismantling the forks by emptying it and refilling.

Neil-S
    Free Member

The compression and lockout functions rely on the damping oil (inside the RH stanchion).

If you've got neither then this suggests a low oil level. The seal on the rebound assembly is known to fail and piss oil into the lower leg, causing the symptoms you describe and a false bottom out caused by a hydraulic lock.

I've just been given a replacement rebound assembly under warranty, doddle to fit 🙂

Hope this helps!

Neil.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Just sussed what's caused mine then. Oil leaking out the top of the fork when it's upside down. Seal on rebound assembly must have gone.

grumm
    Free Member

Thanks folks – oil level should be ok as I added 15mls to each leg as per the service instructions.

Hmm – just undid the bottom bolt on the right hand leg and then did it up again and it seems to be working. 🙂

I'm wondering if the first time I tightened it the compression lever was already on? Could that explain it somehow?

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Mate's had a similar problem methinks, after reading this. He hasn't been able to get out on his bike for 6 months or so and when he did, the forks would not go down very far, almost as if they were locked out (although they would go down around 30mm).

His bike is not even a year old and hasn't had much use so it's a weird one. Anyone got any tips?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

His bike is not even a year old and hasn't had much use so it's a weird one. Anyone got any tips?

Sounds like the dreaded RS oil leak again. It involvs stripping the fork, but if it's that new, it's a warranty job

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pike compression/lockout stopped working’ is closed to new replies.