• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pike-alations – wish me luck.
  • oliverd1981
    Free Member

So I’m swapping the lowers and internals from my Pike 454s with my U-turn Revelations to I end up with some Maxle/Uturn forks for my old sub 5 and some 100mm QR forks for my GF’s bike.

I have the various oils and the recommended frosty beverage* – what can go wrong?

(* May actually be a big mug of coffee)

PJM1974
    Free Member

Good luck!

I hope the stanctions on the Revelations are long enough but otherwise I can’t envisage any problems. A lot of Rockshox forks are “parts bin” concoctions cobbled together in a similar manner.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Well, they’re working. The revs had slightly shorter stanchions, so I I just made sure the longer rebound rod went in the longer forks.

So what’s the outcome? I have my maxle back, and I have U-Turn on a bike that actually needs it (the sub 5 is uber slackwith 140mm of travel, not ideal for twisty climbs.

My GF’s bike is about 500g lighter, I had to crank a bit of extra negative air in to reduce the travel, even with a hommade 20mm travel reducing spacer fitted.

But I’m happy 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

what can go wrong?

2 different length forks and the lowers will hit the crown, maybe???

Why not just fit the Pikes as they are and have done with it???

I can’t see the point in this exercise, TBH

That said, let us know how you get on, there’s nothing wrong with the odd pointless exercise!! 🙂

martinxyz
    Free Member

So so jealous. Say something nice to the poor lad! If you had done this, you`d be shouting about it!

GW
    Free Member

it will work fine but you will end up with an overall 10mm difference in Axle to crown length.

got a couple of sets of pikes and revs and was going to make a PIVelation…
    just got a 20mm reba instead

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Actually I started with 2 forks that were 20mm different axle to crown and are now the same (fully extended). Both bikes were way too slack (an old hardrock and the aforementioned sub5). I liked the way the Orange handles downghill but it sucked on the climbs, hence wanting the U-Turn, but there’s no way my GF needs a 20mm thru axle…

I was surprised quite how much 5WT I ended up using.

tazzymtb

having made all sorts of frankenfork combos including 29er U turn revelations it’s easy and remarkably good fun

GW
    Free Member

Actually I started with 2 forks that were 20mm different axle to crown and are now the same (fully extended).

Fair doos but I was talking about both at the same travel (100mm for me)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pike-alations – wish me luck.’ is closed to new replies.