Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Pike Air shaft upgrade made no difference. forks aren't extending to 0% sag
  • graearea
    Free Member

Ok, so I followed the MBR Youtube vid to upgrade my 650b air shaft to a 160mm from the current 150mm. but it doesn’t seem to have made any difference. it’s driving me up the wall. If I look at the sag gauge, with 70psi, the sag is sat at 7% for the 160mm gauge (which is about 10mm) and 2%ish for the 150mm gauge. if I pull the fork to extend it, it feels like it’s sat against the bump stop. admittedly I don’t know what it sat at before I did the air shaft. also I’m absolutely sure the air shaft is about 1cm longer than the one I took out. I’ve disassembled it once already and checked if the neg air slot is full but it looks fine. any ideas?

dirtydog
    Free Member

You shouldn’t be able to pull the fork to extend it.

Im betting you’ve reattached the lowers and pumped them up whilst the fork was compressed, if you have you will have created a vacuum in the lower legs.

If this is the case they can be fixed by sliding a cable tie down each dust/oil seal, this will allow air into the lowers, you can also do the same by undoing the foot nuts and releasing the lowers and allowing air in that way, however forks MUST be at full extension when performing said task.

graearea
    Free Member

I’ll give that a crack. thanks

hainman
    Free Member

My 26″ pikes done the same after a while when I done an upgrade on air shaft,I let all air out and pumped back up to full pressure let air out and set my sag,it started to sit in the sag again with no weight on the bike and I pulled up on the forks and it went to full travel,I was warned not to do the zip tie trick as it didn’t really work.I was told its either an air vacuum or grease on the wee air port on the shaft which stops the air properly

graearea
    Free Member

well I popped the bolts on the bottom and there was definitely some air imbalance.not sure it’s made a massive difference tho. so do people’s 160s show the 0% mark on the sag when unweighted?

gkeeffe

The video is wrong. Make sure the fork is fully extended before you tighten up the bolts. Let out any trapped air to maximise travel

gkeeffe

The video is wrong. Make sure the fork is fully extended before you tighten up the bolts. Let out any trapped air to maximise travel

hainman
    Free Member

I made the mistake of following the video and “trying” to compress my forks when reassembling them,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Pike Air shaft upgrade made no difference. forks aren't extending to 0% sag’ is closed to new replies.