Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Pike 454 Air U Turn Home Service – How easy and what do i need?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

have some pikes that i would love to get over to tft and be properly services/push’d but right now can’t afford to, however i would like to give them at the very least a strip down and clean.

anyone give me any advice whats i have in store if i have a go, any decent online guides (i have the official rockshox pdf somewhere i think) and best place to get spares from?

thanks

grievoustim
    Free Member

I used the rock shox guide – and got a full set of seals from a guy on eBay

Got the fluids from TFT

You will need circlip pliars – and appropriately sized spanners/ sockets (manual will tell you the sizes)

Watch yourself / protect your eyes – I had a “moment” when a bit of fork flew with some force up to the ceiling. I had emptied the fork of air but I think something was stuck (hence the need for a service) preventing all the air from being released properly

I took my time and now my forks work as well as ever – so all good

warpcow
    Free Member

What Tim said, but I followed the RS service manual. Just be sure to keep track of how everything came apart and wil go back together (the manual’s pics don’t always entirely match the actual fork contents).

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ve serviced Sektors, Revs and Rebas and agree with the above. I also bought some new crush washers for the lowers as I disliked the idea of my forks bleeding out after a service.

PJM1974
    Free Member

It’s relatively easy to do but you absolutely must get the right tools to do it – circlip inner and outer pliers are essential. You’ll also need the correct socket for the damping/spring assemblies in the fork crown. Don’t be tempted to use an adjustable spanner as you’ll round the aluminium bolts if you’re not careful.

You’ll need to be able to accurately measure how much oil you’re putting in the damping circuit too – too little and the lockout won’t work, too much and the fork will spike.

Other than that, you’ll find it pretty easy

Junkyard
    Free Member

what they say need circlip pliers and to measure carefully

not that hard assuming the air side locknut undoes easily and does not spin

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

thanks chaps. pretty sure i have circlip pliers but if not i’ll go buy some.

whereabouts are you getting seal packs/crush washers etc?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Pike 454 Air U Turn Home Service – How easy and what do i need?’ is closed to new replies.