Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pike 454 air leak – diagnosis.
  • vincienup
    Free Member

Resurrecting forks for a build and when they were last used (apart from generally being ready for a lowers service and oil etc) they had developed an air leak such that a normally sagged fork, wound down to 110 to earn the descent with would not actually extend when wound back out – unless you shook it and then it’d be obviously under-pressurised. No rough feeling and no stanchion damage.

Based on the SRAM tech stuff, I’m thinking this is the o-rings on the air piston – although i’ve never investigated/tried the heavier oil to see if it improves briefly trick.

Any other ideas? Or does my diagnosis sound about right?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sounds like O-ring seals, only way to tell would be to service really.

vincienup
    Free Member

what i figured. Just getting ready to order parts and crack them open, I wondered if the o rings sounded sensible.

Ta! 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

had something similar with some dual air revs, 1st service didn’t fix it as 1 O-ring was just not seated right. There isn’t much else to them really.

vincienup
    Free Member

I was intending to go with the seals and oil Refresh kit from TF anyway, is the full “Reba/Rev/Pike Air U-Turn Service Kit” necessary as an addition to get teh air piston o rings?

I’m guessing that the answer is “no, but it’s a good idea…” 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

no idea really on the kits, I did it at the LBS on a quiet afternoon with the big box of O-rings…

Speak to TF/LOCO direct for the best info.

vincienup
    Free Member

Lol. Ta, Mike…

allthegear
    Free Member

Aren’t Pikes coil, not air???

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pikes have been air or coil over time

paver456
    Free Member

mine were fine after seal change, losing pressure etc
    i used these on my 426 pike air forks and rebas

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rock-Shox-Reba-Race-O-rings-Seals-Crush-Washer-kit-/181175059850?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2a2ee0058a

had 2 sets and they were perfect, all the seals are present + bottom gasket ring

ruffride
    Free Member

Sumtimes the valve needs changing try that first take one off an innetube an swap it see it that works of not then stop them down

LoCo
    Free Member

Check the inside of the uturn air tube for scores as well as this can cause air transfer even with me air seals fitted

vincienup
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’ll let you know howit goes…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pike 454 air leak – diagnosis.’ is closed to new replies.