Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Pike 426 Leaking Oil from U-turn dial when stored upside down. Normal or not?
  • Potdog
    Free Member

Got a new bike recently with 426’s fitted. Its a model that’s a couple of years old, but brand new bike if you see what I mean.

If I store the bike upside down for any length of time beyond about 1 hour, it starts to leak oil from the u-turn “dial” on the top of the left fork leg.

The bike shop is trying to convince me that this is normal for this fork and that it does it on his 426’s too. I’m not convinced to be honest and it’s a right pain when we uplift on the bus.

Anyone got any experience of these forks, specifically whether you had the problem with them too?

Cheers.

jamiew84
    Free Member

Got a old pair of rs revalations that leak if upside down for more than a few hours. My fox 32 80’s and 100’s also do but take a day or two to drop oil

metalheart
    Free Member

Had a similar problem with 454’s.
    The seals are crap on Rock Shox
    TFT is the answer…

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Normal on these forks if stored upside down.

Potdog
    Free Member

That’s gonna be a right pain in the ass then. Especially on the twice weekly Teide trip. I’ll have to top the oil up every few weeks at this rate. Will have to devise a secure way of standing the bike up in the under floor storage.

stumpy01

My Reba’s used to do this.

I spoke to TFT about it & they reckon the original seal is too small & they re-fit with a slightly bigger one.

I serviced them myself though and they stopped doing it. Been fine since.

liquid1000
    Free Member

Yes and be careful as once so much has leaked your damper will stop working as mine did!

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

The o-ring that rockshox supply is slightly too small – if you contact TFTuned they can send you a new pack of o-rings, including a non-standard one for the u-turn dial. You can tear them down and replace the lot! Which is a good thing to do occasionally anyway.
    LoCo tuning can probably supply the same…

stumpy01

liquid1000 – Member
    Yes and be careful as once so much has leaked your damper will stop working as mine did!

The U-Turn dial is on the spring side, not the damper side. Oil in the u-turn side is ‘just’ for lubrication I think.

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah – mine used to do this, but from the damper side (ie the compression knob) not the U-Turn side. This is common, but I’m not sure if it is on the other side.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Fixed mine with the TFT o-ring

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Pike 426 Leaking Oil from U-turn dial when stored upside down. Normal or not?’ is closed to new replies.