• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by AJ.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pike 351 and Pike 426 What's the difference?
  • GiantJaunt
    Free Member

This week I'll be going to look at a friends Pike 351 which was originally attached to a Pitch Pro. It's coil with 140mm max travel (adjustable) and I think it would suit my bike very nicely. I have noticed whilst shopping around for other Pikes that the 426 coil and other models also have 140mm U turn. Does anyone know how the 351 differs to the 426 and 454 for example cos I can't find out anywhere? Thanks.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

351 has no floodgate.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Cheers. I've never had floodgate on any of my forks. How vital do you think it is or would the 351's still be very good forks? What do you think would be a fair price to pay for them if they're in good condition? Thanks.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

£120 max

renton
    Free Member

for what its worth ive just picked a pitch pro up with these fitted and so far i am very impressed with them compared to my previous fox 36.

i would say they are worth more than £120 if they are in good nick.

more like 160-170

there is a new pair from an 2010 bike on ebay for 365!!

JimBowen
    Free Member

Fitted Pike 426 2009 on my Scott Ransom 2 months ago and all i can say is awesome. Made a massive difference to the ride, they are really reponsive. Paid £329 for them 😉

grumm
    Free Member

for what its worth ive just picked a pitch pro up with these fitted and so far i am very impressed with them compared to my previous fox 36.

Really? I went the other way and the 36s (vans) are miles better imo.

The Pikes were ok until this happened

Fixed them with nail varnish and cleaned the seals out and they seem ok now but nowhere near as good as the Fox.

Neil-S
    Free Member

I beleive the 426 fork has a steel steerer – the 351 one is ally.

I've been running a 351 for a year on my SC Blur LT, I'm pretty happy with it 🙂

I wouldn't use the floodgate even if I had it.

It's stiffer than my old fork (Fox Van 32R) but the damping is nowhere near as good as the Fox. They're also not as good as the Fox at handling small bumps.

Neil.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

i would say they are worth more than £120 if they are in good nick.

more like 160-170

there is a new pair from an 2010 bike on ebay for 365!!

I sold the ones off my Pitch for £195 posted, in VGC, and had people scrambling over them. £120 is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too cheap.

renton
    Free Member

maybe it was the different bike they were on but i felt my fox 36 were very heavy and just seemed to blow through there travel.

could of been set wrong ??(didnt have bike long enough to fiddle with it really

pp is right about the money thing though 120 is toooooo cheap

grumm
    Free Member

maybe it was the different bike they were on but i felt my fox 36 were very heavy and just seemed to blow through there travel.

The 36 vans are almost exactly the same weight as the coil Pikes according to the specs. Sounds like they were set up wrong to me.

I would have thought somewhere not far off £200 would be more like it btw if they are in good condition.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thanks for your input everyone. I was thinking nearer £200 personally but wasn't sure about the 351 spec. My mate say's he's selling the wheel too so I might get that aswell cos my current one isn't compatible.

The fork will be replacing the Recon 335 that came with my Trance X5. This fork seems OK but just feels a bit short on the downhill bits and apparently Pikes are plusher, stiffer and stronger. They are also heavier but that's not too bad.

mralexbenn
    Free Member

I have 351 Pikes which have been upgraded to the floodgate internals because some K**b Head sold me them with a hair line crack inside and they never worked.

Would have to say small bump performance is not great and they are a bit heavy but really eat up bigger stuff as that's more what they are for. I wined them down to 120mm and they handle loads better on my 456 now

AJ
    Free Member

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pike 351 and Pike 426 What's the difference?’ is closed to new replies.