Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Piglet or Blue Pig?
  • drookitmunter
    Free Member

I’m replacing my 2005 Marin Rocky Ridge frame. I’ve narrowed it’s replacement down to either a Piglet or a Blue Pig as I need the 30.9 post for my uppy-downy.

I’ll be using my current 130mm Fox Vanilla R fork, but it’s 7 years old and I’m not sure how much longer the brake mounts are going to last so might replace it soon.

It’ll be my everyday bike for general riding – loads of Pentlands rides, GT, Inners, etc and the occasional bit of steep fast stuff – Arthurs Seat, less techy Munros like Mt Keen and such.

I have an Orange Five with 160mm 36’s so don’t need another beefy monster descender. The key is that it should be fun, fast and Spritely – like a hardtail should be.

I’ve read through a billion threads on here about the Blue Pig, but the Piglet is never really talked about. Seeing as I have no intention of buying a big fork for this bike (certainly never more than 140mm), or taking advantage of the bigger headset, would I be better off buying the Piglet over the Blue Pig?

I’m going to be running it 1×9 so the ICGS05 tabs on the Blue Pig are appealing over a BB mounted guide.

Blue Pig
    [list][*]Upgrade potential (big fork/headset)[/*]
    [*]Easier to sell?[/*]
    [*]ICGS05 tabs[/*][/list]

Piglet
    [list][*]Nicer colour (I love the green)[/*]
    [*]Better geo for 130mm fork?[/*][/list]

Any Piglet owners out there? Which makes more sense for my needs described above? Also, which size? Ragley say the 16″ is good for 5’5+, but they don’t say who the 14″ Piglet is good for! I’m 5’6.

fishcake
    Free Member

I have a 16″ Piglet (in Blue) I am 5’9″ and it is perfect size for me.

I really love the Piglet. It climbs really well and feels good on the descents too, Its so much fun.
    I also have a 160mm all mountain/freeride bike but know I can take the Piglet just about all the same places.

I personally think the Piglet frame looks better then the Pig, but that maybe just me.

Fishcake.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Oohh that looks lovely. I love that colour. I prefer the look of the Piglet too – more understated.

Hmm if you’re 5’9 and the 16″ is perfect I guess the 14″ would be better suited for me at 5’6?

I had a shot on my pals 16″ Blue Pig and it felt fine, but maybe the 14″ would feel even more fine.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve ridden both, though the Piglet only for 20 minutes or so, but enough to get a bit of an idea of how they feel. They’re not dissimilar, but the Piglet definitely feels a bit more ‘normal’ than the Pig in that it’s not as slack up front, though it’s still slacker than most hardtails. Both climb and descend nicely, but the Piglet’s a little more responsive and a little less carvey, I think. The Pig felt spot on with a 140mm Pike, the Piglet, I think, had a 120mm Fox on it.

Coincidentally, I also had a Rocky Ridge and like the lower, slacker front end on the Ragley and better climbing from the steeper seat angle, though it builds a little heavier.

Don’t know about sizing, but if it helps, I’m five nine and a half and fit a 16″ Ragley frame.

tracknicko
    Free Member

my pig’s ace. im 6ft3 and ride an 18.

generally found that they ride better on the small side with a big old post in

(bought a 20 briefly but HATED it)

so i’d maybe err on the small side if i was you…

sam42
    Free Member

I ride a 1st gen blue pig with the same vanilla 130 fork, great frame but if anything it could do with another 10-20mm up front, if I were buying now I’d be tempted by a piglet to suit the travel of the fork more…
    Anyone wanna offer me a cheap set of 150 floats…

drookitmunter
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses, very helpful!

I also spoke to a very nice chap at Hotlines who happens to ride a 16″ Blue Pig @5’9. His wife has a 14″ @5’4.

The only difference is the top tub length, but it is quite a big difference.

I’m going to pull the trigger on a 14″ Piglet – I imagine the shorter top tube will get my elbows-out and let me throw it all over the place 🙂

SammyC
    Free Member

I think that’s the right decision, I’ve got a 1st gen Pig and its fantastic but can be a bit of Pig (ha ha) on more flat XC routes. Its fine and all but doesn’t seem to really fly like you’d expect a HT too. If the route is more varied then its great.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

14″ Delicious Green Piglet ordered. Should be here tomorrow 🙂

Thanks again for the help

johnhe

I ride a Rocky Ridge, which I love. I can’t help but wonder whether the fuss about steel is for real, or just hype. I’d be keen to hear back from you once you’ve ridden your new bike for a week or two.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

I ride a Rocky Ridge, which I love. I can’t help but wonder whether the fuss about steel is for real, or just hype. I’d be keen to hear back from you once you’ve ridden your new bike for a week or two.

I love my Rocky Ridge to bits as well! I really love how it handles. Although that might just be because I’ve had it so long (7 years) and I’m so used to it.

My Ridge is a medium which, to be honest, has always been slightly too long for me. I’ve got a 50mm stem on it which helps, but I just fancy a change after trying my pals Blue Pig.

I don’t really get the ‘steel is real’ thing either. Saying that I’ve never had a steel bike so nothing to compare it to.

I’ve never found the Ridge overly harsh. In fact I really love the out-of-control, riding-the-fork feeling it gives you on rough descents. The back end bucking around and the threat of wiping out always near!

Got any pics of your one? What year is it?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

If anyone is interested, I’m selling a brand new, unused Piglet frame. Blue / 18″, with seatpost, clamp and saddle for £240 posted.

email in profile (sorry for the slightly wrong forum…)

johnhe

Here’s my Rocky Ridge . I think it’s an 09 one, but to be honest, I can’t remember. I also own a Santa Cruz Blur, but 90% of the time or more, I prefer to ride the Marin – just a fantastic bike. Beauty is obviously in the eye of the beholder, but in my eyes, this is about the nicest lookin hardtail out there. I obviously prefer the Cove Stiffee look to the skinny steel frame look.

johnhe

Here’s another.

drookitmunter
    Free Member

That’s lovely! What fork is that? They look like 36’s?

My Marin is a lot older than that. It’s the brown metallic colour. I’ll put a few photos up when I get home.

I agree completely about the ride. I spend most of my riding on it over my Fiva AM. I never, ever feel underbiked and tend to have way more fun on the Marin.

johnhe

The forks are 140mm Floats. I have a spare set of Talas forks in the garage, but love the way the rocky Ridge is so simple, so I’ve decided to keep the Floats. Plus it’s such a a great climber.

johnhe

Hey – hows the Piglet going?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Piglet or Blue Pig?’ is closed to new replies.