Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Pig roasts, yay or nay?
  • bradley
    Free Member

Along with my fiancée, mum and dad, I run a pig roast business. But what do you guys think about pig roasts?? Yay or nay, and if nay, why not? All views welcome, be it religious, animal rights or whatever. And, have you ever attended a pig roast and thought ‘that could’ve been done better…?’

jam-bo

Mmmmm, pig

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s cooked pig. What’s not to love?

Moses

Yay, if someone else is paying.
    I do like a big bit of dead pig.

bradley
    Free Member

Yeah Moses I’d feel the same…haha 😉

I don’t know Jamie, I don’t like cooked pig, but some people don’t like the whole ‘pig roast’ idea, and seeing as i’m totally taking it over next year, (i’m only 19 btw) I like to ask these sort of questions.

Jamie
    Free Member

Hang on….what? You don’t like cooked pig, but run a pig roast company?

Hmm…it’s like having a skinny chef. I just don’t trust it 😉

crikey
    Free Member

Although the piggy is in the middle, so to speak, you need to cater for those who don’t do meat too, and make it as exciting and as central.

I’m not a veggie but my kids are and it’s a bit tricky to attend any kind of roasted amnimule thing as a result.

bradley
    Free Member

J – I don’t like cooked pig simply because I’ve cooked so many. You know?

We do cater for those who don’t eat meat, garlic mushrooms are supplied at every event but what else could I do for veggies????

jam-bo

but what else could I do for veggies????

Don’t compromise. Pig or nothing.

hilldodger
    Free Member

baked spuds, veggie kebabs, roast corn cobs and amusingly shaped root vegetables should keep the meat dodgers happy 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

Yay for me so long as they taste good.

Jamie
    Free Member

We do cater for those who don’t eat meat, garlic mushrooms are supplied at every event but what else could I do for veggies????

Are we getting paid for this consumer survey?

…but try checking out the competition:

http://www.rolypolypigroast.co.uk/vegetarian-menu

http://www.bigroast.com/hog-roasts-options/vegetarian-hog-roast/

http://www.thepiggysquire.co.uk/vegetarian-catering.lasso?-session=pig_sess:D56B6DB60a1c4143DBWTV3FA897A

and this thread has some good stuff/links on it:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3123622&highlight=vegetarian+hog+roast

Kuco

Love a good pork roll with crispy crackling and apple sauce 🙂

Sod the veggies they can pick at the side salad 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Not invite them?
    Pig roast, isn’t that just some kind of fancy barbeque?

bradley
    Free Member

It wasn’t as such a consumer survey Jamie just questions of what you guys like/don’t like about pig roasts lol.

You can kinda tell that the veg options on ‘bigroasts’ website are frozen >.<.

The guy who runs piggysquire makes just shy of a six figure salary from pig-roasts…you wouldn’t think it.

bradley
    Free Member

Yeah with a £3,000 gas BBQ.

donsimon
    Free Member

I guess it’s an event thing and significantly more than just roasting a pig, no?
    I could see something at a cycling event like a 24/12 where there are loads of supporters milling around.

Yeah with a £3,000 gas BBQ.

Aaah! Not even a proper BBQ. 😥

bradley
    Free Member

It’s whatever you make it out to be Simon 🙂

It is a proper BBQ, just a damn big one. 100 jacket potatoes, 30 whole chickens, 2 small lamb?

transapp
    Free Member

Only problem with a pig roast is that there’s not enough of them!

Oh, and bad crackling, always a let down!

yunki
    Free Member

Only problem with a pig roast is that there’s not enough of them!

I think this sums it up nicely for me.. (although the local agricultural suppliers has a permanent hog roast stall outside their store, so I can’t complain)

some mates hired the kit and roasted a pig in their back garden one weekend and had a big party.. I woke up some time the following day in a sleeping bag with the stripped bare and gently cooling carcass..

deluded
    Free Member

My wife has a friend in Petersfield that does hog roasts. He roasts it over charcoal in a contraption that he’s made, which he tows to the venue – a big enclosed metal trailer essentially.

Lovely in a bap with mustard sauce and a pint of cider nomnomnom.

Jamie
    Free Member

some mates hired the kit and roasted a pig in their back garden one weekend and had a big party.. I woke up some time the following day in a sleeping bag with the stripped bare and gently cooling carcass..

When’s the wedding?

loum
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kdXayLlOs10[/video]

Crackling?

sparkyrhino

suckling piglet, cooked over a fire pit on a goan beach ahh the memorys,getting a rush of blood thinking about it,twitch twitch 😯

bigblackshed

If done right…….. Mmmmmmmm……….

Although you don’t see them very often. If going down the veggie / BBQ route then it has to be good quality. Not an after thought.

* I’ll have fire up the Weber tomorrow to slow roast the leg of pork that’s in the fridge. Nom nom nom.

PrinceJohn

What a mistake to read this thread, I am now starving & salivating… time for a bacon sandwich…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I was once bet that i couldn’t eat certain parts of the roast pig at such an event…

The ears were rather nice if a little chewy.
    The tail was lovely
    the trotters similar but finicky

the snout however is definitely for the purist only… 😳

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve attended quite a few 3DayEvents (neddies) and they love a bit of meat they do. I do too as it happens (not that I eat a great deal of meat these days)

Have you tried the local Horsey crowd? Could be a go’er.

As for Pig Roasts, well, yes please.

rob2
    Free Member

We had a pig roast at my wedding (no euphemism intended!)

Lovely it was.

What made it was really good fresh bread. Nothing worse than rubbish bread.

skywalker
    Free Member

Spit roast pig is some of the best meat I’ve ever had

rob2
    Free Member

😆

grievoustim
    Free Member

How about venturing into the world of authentic slow cooked texas BBQ?

Ribs, brisket sandwiches etc etc

schnullelieber
    Free Member

What made it was really good fresh bread. Nothing worse than rubbish bread.

+1

Onzadog
    Free Member

Friend has a bar mitzvah coming up soon. There’s a market you could break into. Massive social gatherings I believe.

bigjim

My top tips would be, don’t cut the meat/crackling off and then keep it in a pot with a lid on, as it all goes soggy and watery.

Also, make sure all the bristles are off before cooking, a few are tolerable but crackling that looks like a brush isn’t the nicest.

Don’t drown the pork in gallons of apple sauce if you are making the rolls for people, its not supposed to be a pudding.

Most importantly, make sure you are buying outdoor reared high welfare British pigs, and let everyone know that.

mt
    Free Member

the bread comments above are so right. If you are using a quality pig for roasting nothing will let it down more than rubbish supermarket (chorleywood process) bread. Get a quality bread supplier and you’ll have a winner, you could even make it yourself it’s easy.
    I love the sound of crackling in the morning.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

my post uni plan was to start a hog roast co.

if the current company doesn’t quite work out, i might investigate again…

totalshell

fill the plate with cheap salad.. them pig fings is expensive!

creaser
    Free Member

Where abouts are you was wanting a hog roast for my birthday party

Bunnyhop

Most importantly, make sure you are buying outdoor reared high welfare British pigs, and let everyone know that.

Agree with getting the best quality fresh bread too.
    Homemade apple sauce, hot pork and a squidgy fresh bap, oh my!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Pig roasts, yay or nay?’ is closed to new replies.