Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Pics of your short travel FS trail bikes please !
  • KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Loving Shackeltons and frogstomps Phantoms. On the hunt for short-to-medium travel 29er FS and the phantom is on the shortlist. Tempted by a raw or black frame with CCDBi. What are they like for putting the miles in on?

wildc4rd
    Free Member

AnthemX1, changed to 10×1 since the pic.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

120mm/105mm – although it now has RS Sids on – which might not be an improvement.

Also got an old dw-flux in the next size down – which I might build back up for more XC at 100mm/100mm.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Also got an old dw-flux in the next size down – which I might build back up for more XC at 100mm/100mm.

How is any DW link Turner old?
    I still have an original Burner hanging on the wall which has hardly been used 😉

eshershore
    Free Member

my old Mythic Rampant

onewheelgood

Anthem X with 120mm front, 100mm rear

Metasequoia

since when did 140mm become short travel…..

Mole
    Free Member

Do fancy a banshee phantom built up as light as poss..any feedback from the two above?

frogstomp

Not got any big miles in on mine yet but it certainly pedals efficiently and climbs very well.

The frames are quite heavy (read:sturdy) and definitely pitched more towards AM/Enduro rather than XC the travel might suggest – will get you to the top of the mountain so you can make the most of the descent!

My medium frame built up to 30lbs with Fox 34s, XX1, Reverb and Flows (Chunky Monkey/Smorgasbord).

hairyscary

130/150mm and coming in at 37 1/2 lbs in this guise.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rG7yA1]IMAG0881[/url] by MattNSmith, on Flickr

Shackleton

Mole and Kingofbiscuits – Phantom opinions

I wrote about my initial experiences in this post here. Since then my opinions have only got better and it now has a CCDB inline, which has somehow transformed it even further. The Pinkbike, Bikemag and Vital reviews sum it up well too.

I originally bought the bike thinking it would suit 80% of the riding that I do, assuming that I might have to throttle back on the bigger or lumpier stuff. And the opposite is true, it suits over 95% of my riding; it flicks through the trees, pedals nicely over the moors, trucks through the rocks and eats the downs. I have come to the conclusion that well controlled short travel is better than long travel for all of my riding in the UK (Scotland, Lakes, etc) and didn’t want for more in the Alps or Colorado. No other bike I have ever ridden or owned comes close to its versatility, although I suspect this is probably a general trait with this breed of 29er (Phantom, Smuggler, Following, Segment) rather than specific to the Phantom.

I have no idea how much it weighs, it’s certainly not an XC race bike but neither is it a overbuilt monster. It feels solid while riding but is easy to lift onto the roof of the car and relaxing to pedal up a hill as the suspension is short and very pedaling friendly. Building one up too light would miss the point a bit too! If you have the cash carbon wheels may help but I can’t say I feel the need to lighten mine from its average trail bike build given what I put it through.

I do think (without wanting to sound like an arrogant **** nob) that it is a riders bike though. You have to be able to ride reasonably well, know how to work the trail and stay on top of the bike to get the most out of the bike. It doesn’t have the safety net of longer travel machines to be able to compensate for cack-handed riding, poor line choice or bad handling. On the other hand it always feels exciting and engaged without ever feeling overwhelmed and is easier to pedal between the fun stuff.

TL;DR: It’s awesome.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Here’s my 100mm full bouncer,Giant NRS

It’s just been retired & I’ve replaced it with a 2013 Anthem 100mm again,although I want to extend the forks to 120mm

zero-cool
    Free Member

I had a Kona Howler, 100mil out back and (depending on build) either 100mil Marz DJs or 150 Z1s on front. A lovely little hooligan bike. Cobbled together out of spare parts and an old frame I saw on SDH, rode it everywhere for about 4 years while the Dah bike was in bits (XC, DH, 36lbs!) My bro’s got it now and still thrashes it about. Would love it back and fit all the lighter stuff I have lying around onto it.

If they’d have made a longer version I’d still be using it.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Thanks frogstomp and Shackleton. Appreciate the feedback. I’ve read a lot of the reviews and the bike appeals. I’ve been virtually tyre kicking for some time now since selling my Yeti ASR5c and want something to compliment my Solaris.

I decided to sell the former as it wasn’t being ridden and I was riding exactly the same trails on the Solaris albeit more reserved on the downs when things got too choppy. Basically I’m used to shorter travel bikes and picking my way through rather than plowing. Hence why a lot of the bigger travel 29ers are perhaps overkill for the majority of riding I do and difficult to justify a purchase.

I suppose the weight does concern me a little although I won’t know how I feel about that until I ride one. Perhaps based on paying too much attention to numbers, having a silly light bike previously and the fact I’ve just been riding the Solaris for the last 18 months. To be fair I think a lot of bikes in this category are of a similar weight anyway.

shredder
    Free Member

Not mine but I want it ….Rocky 790 MSL BC Edition

richardthird

AnthemX 1×10. 100mm, sporting a CM 2.4 for less dusty conditions.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

How is any DW link Turner old?

09 model so skinnier tubes, 1/18th headtube.

I pushed the shock and put in those push bushings and needle bearing shock bushings and the suspension action is so smooth. The newer one has a non-pushed shock, etc and it is much less refined, although still refined…

ajantom

since when did 140mm become short travel…..

Well they are adjustable between 100 and 140 😉

Shackleton

Basically I’m used to shorter travel bikes and picking my way through rather than plowing.

The phantom isn’t a picking sort of bike, nor is it a comfier hard tail. It is a full blown tough trail bike designed for the kind of stuff that smaller wheeled 150-160mm bikes do and works best when ridden in that style. The advantage it has its that it is much more efficient to pedal than these longer travel bikes. Disadvantage is you don’t have the get out of trouble free card of extra travel.

Saccades
    Free Member

Should be 100/90mm, drilled for a reverb and 140mm fork added – 27.5lb for a 15 year old, discontinued design is pretty good.

roverpig

Shacleton, have you got any other pictures of that bike 🙂

Shackleton

Don’t have too many other poics of it to be honest. These are probably the only others that are up on the web.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/psnZYZ]401 bike[/url] by 10000 rivets, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pqkybo]Strand[/url] by 10000 rivets, on Flickr

DaveRambo

Yeti ASR

scotroutes

On one of the increasingly rare occasions it’s been ridden

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rPEWDH]DSC_0094[/url] by ScotRoutes, on Flickr

cloudnine
    Free Member

roverpig

Thanks Shackleton. I must admit I’m not a fan of that mint green, but it does seem to look better out in the wild than in publicity shots and it obviously rides well, which should be all that matters really.

Doug
    Free Member

Bregante

Mine on yesterdays ride.

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

What is short travel these days?

Whyte T130 with 130mm at each end –

singletrackmind

Doug . Reckon you might need to go up a frame size ?

Kit
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/n9EmbV]Yeti ASR5[/url] by Kit Carruthers, on Flickr

jonnyrockymountain

Absolutely loving my 2015 650b Anthem set up with 120mm sids and coming in at 24lbs

mamadirt
    Free Member

Short travel – check
    Light – hmmmm 😕
    Pleasing to the eye (aka explosion in a paint factory) – 😛

Now back singlespeed and a shedload more fun!

localhero94
    Free Member

Another Spearfish – 100/80mm
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/rxYQG1]untitled shoot-028.jpg[/url]

robowns
    Free Member

Shackleton,

I think your Phantom is ace, however those cranks and bash really look out of place on an expensive bike.

ifra
    Free Member

Shackleton

Shackleton,

I think your Phantom is ace, however those cranks and bash really look out of place on an expensive bike.

What do you mean? Those cranks are vintage XT (c2005 I think).

Really I’m inclined to agree but there is nothing physically wrong with them. I’m also still on a fully functioning 9 speed drive train so can’t really justify changing them on either basis. Once enough of it dies I will change to something more in keeping with the rest of the bike. I have a 2009 black/silver SLX set if that would be better……..?

Bash I could change but don’t like black and every other colour clashes or looks even cheaper…….. 😕 Suggestions?

sleigh62
    Free Member

125mm front, 120mm rear … plenty for me and my capabilities … surprisingly clean too!

eshershore
    Free Member

this was my second Mythic (banshee) Rampant setup as a play bike with pivotal (bmx) seatpost/saddle and Fast Trak tires, perfect for dirt jumping and our pump track

the first Rampant, setup for DH vacation to Winterberg with padded saddle and knobbly tires

older brother with a little more travel, the Wildcard

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Pics of your short travel FS trail bikes please !’ is closed to new replies.