Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Pics of Inbred "chain suck" solutions, please.
  • toxicsoks
    Free Member

Have a red 853 Inbred frame and am getting fed up with the pseudo chain suck.I want an effective, CHEAP, solution to the problem so, therefore, a new, modified chainstay is a non -starter. Considering taking a hammer and a bit of wood to it but, since I'm cackhanded, would rather try an anti-chainsuck device…………….bought or improvised.
    Any pics of novel solutions?
    Ta.

Saccades
    Free Member

???

pseudo chain suck? Chain suck is due to your drivechain, lube and local mud. The Frame shape only effects how bad the damage can be. I never got chainsuck on my regular inbred and the above 456 didn't either before it was converted to alfine.

There are those that have used a ball pin hammer and a lump or wood to make an indent in the chainstay which reduces the damage caused, I think peterproddy has a picture of it.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

This sums up the argument, that I don't want to kick off again. I just want to see a few solutions, ta. 🙄
    I still don't get the lube bit but, hey ho. BTW, new, steel,front chain rings, new chain, new cassette and had the LBS check out the chainline (OK) when the ****' thing still did it.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I know its not much use but I sold my 456 Summer Season because of chainsuck that appeared to be incurable.

OK I KNOW frames don't cause it but they sure as heck suffer.

Anyhow, a 456ti solved it along with a new Shimano LX chainset and a new chain. Truvativ chainset and old chain stayed off as it may have been the problem and I wasn't risking it on the ti frame.

No chainsuck since so its either the frame or the LX chainset & chain.

knottie8
    Free Member

cable ties along the chain stay behind the chain set (loads of them) work for me. The chain scuffs the ties not your frame then.
    http://onepictureeveryday.fotoblog.co.uk/p63623860.html
    looking down from above the front mech.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

SS

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There is only one real solution if you want to use normal gears:
    Modify the chainstay.

I did it the expensive, but best way. And it works – 100%.
    I had the chainset off a couple of weeks ago and I've got literally two tiny chips in the paint in nearly 2 years (and lots of miles and many chainrings) since it was done. Before, at the very first sign of chainsuck, the chain would jam tight in the gap. The first time it happened I was coasting down hill, so had no pressure at all on the pedals, and I had to remove the chainset to get the chain out. I realise this is an expensive solution, but I love my 853 and I want to keep it!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3055/2676540579_292544f784_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/2677341740_ee39d935eb_b.jpg

The space where my finger is was 2mm before I had the new chainstay. This is the key, more chainring clearance. I reckon I've lost maybe 2mm of tyre room, tops. It's just a straighter stay, slightly flattened. I'd imagine it would actually be cheaper to fit at the factory, but it looks boring and old-school, no fancy bends……… If you catch my drift…… 8)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3273/2677334328_465dc8beb3_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3245/2677338908_5cbfc3ea82_b.jpg

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh, and for Saccades above, this is the 'before' pic. I just couldn't stop it happening without a new chinring every 2 rides.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3291/2516042190_28d43f8d21_b.jpg

This was how much metal was holding the back end on after that last ride. There's a 2-3ft drop off I ususally do at the end of that particular ride (Off a big roundabout onto a road..!) for some reason I didn't bother with it that night…! 😯

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2294/2516043856_1198285544_b.jpg

billybob
    Free Member

back in the day you used to be able to buy anti chain suck devices which were basically 2 plates of bolted together across your chainstays & the lower one was shaped to roughly match your chainrings.

I have never suffered from chainsuck so never tried them.

coatesy
    Free Member

Chainsuck used to be a regular occurence on most bikes many years back, and a whole host of companies were producing anti-chainsuck plates, most of which were pretty ineffective.The only one I found to work 100% was fitted to my Pace frames, and consisted of a hard plastic block that was slotted and bolted solidly to the chainstay.It was adjusted so that the chainrings wore a set of grooves into it, thus leaving absolutely minimal room for the chain to get jammed, and was mounted low enough to knock the chain off the rings before it caught properly.The parts may still be available, and some good diy or a framebuilder should be able to sort something similar.

oldfart

just think yerself lucky it wasn't a £1500 Ti frame !!!!!

clydebuilt
    Free Member

No pictures but I had exactly the same problem with my standard Inbred, which was completely cured by the "hitting the chainstay with a hammer" method. Don't worry about being clumsy, no particular precision required, just take it easy, you don't need to hit hard to effect the necessary changes. And for those who bang on that it's nothing to do with the frame, the drive train involved has been used on two frames before and one frame after with no problems.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Square taper chainset and a slightly longer BB … worked for me

You can still get the anti-chainsuck plate things, I'm sure I've seen them somewhere online but can't remember offhand, never used one so don't know how effective they are.

A good solution, as it's a known problem, would be if On One were to manufacture anti-chainsuck plates onto their frames like the old Bontragers, and I think Kleins(?), used to have?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Square taper chainset and a slightly longer BB … worked for me

Yeah, it will do. I thought about that, but the chainline is poor anyway as it is……

Frankers
    Free Member

I loved my 853 inbred but the bike was becoming unrideable in the winter which is when I really wanted to use it. So I sold the frame and bought a Soul, still get a little chainsuck in thick mud if I don't lube the chain but no where near the problems I had with the Inbred which is a shame as I loved the ride quality.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Correct me if I am wrong (I don't suffer from chain stuck) but I understand chain stuck to be when the chain jumps and gets jammed between the chain rings and the frame (chain stay).

If this is the case can you not just get some handlebar tape, inner tube or a chain stay protector and put it on around the chain stay where it meets the bottom bracket thus making the gap small enough that the chain won't get jammed in there??

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I used to get chainsuck all the time on my Soul. Changed my lube and only in the most attrocious conditions does it rarely occur. I use Purple Extreme in summer and Finishline Wet lube in the winter – in winter I brush the chain and re-lube after everyride – takes 10mins max.

I also have an innertube round the chainstay all the way to the bottom bracket with a few frame protection patches underneath all held together with some strategically placed zip ties. At least when it happens it doesn't cause too much damage – but as I said it now rarely happens.

StirlingCrispin

Ditto to Kojaklollipop's reply.

I was plagued by chainsuck on a new Sanderson. Fitted a new bottom bracket – 2mm longer than the last – and the problem was cured.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Toxicsoks – What lube you using?

DT78
    Free Member

I'd be interested in this as well, been suffering it from new on my duster, and I've swapped the whole drivetrain out for new components and still get it every 5th or 6th time I change down to the granny.

I'm strongly tempted to go 1×9 as I pretty much don't use the granny due to the high chance of jamming the chain

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i took off my outer chainring and fitted a bashguard. There is now lots of space for the chain if it rides round on the chainring. I also bought a new chainring, which seems to have worked.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

My Evil has very little clearance inside the chainset, almost zero with a 36T middle ring. I had chronic chainsuck for a while that was really getting in the way of enjoying a ride.

OTOH, the 36T was also leading to me using the Granny more than usual and I was finding that it would suck when I changed down. On stripping the granny off I found some thickening of the material at the base of the troughs between the teeth and intuited that this was working to grab the chain inbetween the fishplates and suck it up.

I fitted a steel granny ring and that's been all she wrote since then.

billyboy
    Free Member

I've had no problems with two 18" 456's (Ti and DN6) set up with 113 squ taper bb/Middleburn crank and an Xt Hollowtech2 crank respectively.

But we did have chainsuck problems on a 456 14" frame I built up for my girlfriend. It was an all new quality transmission so none of the usual causes applied. I seem to have cured it by putting a longer bb on….113 to 115.

billyboy
    Free Member

Is it just smaller 456 frame sizes (14 and 16) doing this?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Toxicsoks – What lube you using?
    Finish Line XC

The frame is 20" (I is 6'2")

Run 36/24 with bashguard

The "suck" seems worse when you drop a couple of gears before a short, steep section and put down some power.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I'd try a different lube – as I understand it chain suck occurs as there is too much friction between the chain and chainrings leading to disengagement not happening at the right time.

Things like worn chainrings, mud, wrong lube, moisture etc all contribute to it. Putting on a bigger BB will not cure it only avoid damaging your frame.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Been there with the whole "remove chainset mid ride due to stuck chain" on my old 456. Simply bought a Blue Pig 😉

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Pics of Inbred "chain suck" solutions, please.’ is closed to new replies.