Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Photoshop – learning process….
  • How do you do it?

I’ve watched a few videos on some basic tasks, but most of it just goes over my head.

This isn’t helped by the fact that tutorials always seem to reference actions by using ‘shift’ and ‘Ctrl’ keys with some other combination of keys, rather than an intuitive menu.

There’s not a cat in hell’s chance I’ll remember more than a couple of these seemingly random tasks.

So, what’s an easy learning process?

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

http://www.photoshoptutorials.ws/

http://mashable.com/2010/04/11/youtube-photoshop-tutorials/

As with most things in life. 99% practice.

Sign up for the mailing list on the top url and try to get yourself to keep up with the tuts.

Oh, and I still have a laminated cheat sheet somewhere but, all of those ctrl / shift + x soon become second nature.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Practice is everything, do a tutorial as often as you can. Learn every tool in the menu then once your more a diet worry about customising your workspace etc. Often I find people can take a while to get used to layers but it just starts to become second nature and ‘auto select’ is useful. Start using the pen tool to make paths to cut out images, often I see people new to the programme using the wand and getting frustrated at the jagged edges. You will soon get quick with the pen.

irelanst
    Free Member

I found the “classroom in a book” series very good. Most of the commands are similar from version to version so you don’t need the latest issue.

Klunk
    Free Member

though old school last century photoshop knowing some of the basics and a bit of cg theory always helps Kai’s Power Tips & tricks

munkyboy
    Free Member

There is lots of shortcuts but you don’t need them. Everything is an icon or in the pulldown menus. Just mess around and you will learn it.

It is not your fault as it really is not that intuitive.

kayak23

I find the best way to learn is to mess about doing silly things, picking up specific tutorials on the way. It’s too much to sit down and try to remember what does what all in one.

Come up with some fun little projects to do and usually, along the way you will come across problems for which you can search for YouTube tutorials. That way you end up directly applying what you’re learning, and in a fun way.

I did some basic photoshop in a photography course and had some fun planning, shooting and shopping my images…

It’s pretty overwhelming at first, but take small steps and you’ll start getting used to things and begin to open up the huge possibilities…

MrSmith
    Free Member

This isn’t helped by the fact that tutorials always seem to reference actions by using ‘shift’ and ‘Ctrl’ keys with some other combination of keys, rather than an intuitive menu.

Because an “intuitive menu” is slow and a system of shortcuts (all user customised by the user) is far quicker than scrolling around looking for “create clipping mask” when alt shift-G does the same thing in an instant.
    I use a wacom pen which is essential for any brushwork/pathing and with customisable hot keys for shortcuts can work a lot quicker than using a mouse/menu system

When I started I found the Visual QuickStart Guide by peachpit press very handy but now just look at an online video if theres a particular technique I want to use, but the best way to learn is by using the software and having tasks/work to do as that’s the best way to make it all sink in. You can watch 100’s of video tutorials but only working on images will make you proficient.
    Also you never really stop learning as everyone does things in a different way and when I see other retouchers work I usually learn something.

Start using the pen tool to make paths to cut out images, often I see people new to the programme using the wand and getting frustrated at the jagged edges. You will soon get quick with the pen.

And then start learning to use ‘refine edge’ for soft edge masking.

ajantom

+1 for just cocking around. Decide on what you want to make/draw, try it, get it wrong, try again, etc. until you’re happy. Move on to next.
    All software is a matter of practice.

I had a load of kids disinterested in learning 3D modelling software until I pointed out it was basically Minecraft, and they could make anything. Cue lots of lunchtime fiddling and 6mths later they’re making stuff that I can’t!

*edit* as MrSmith says above every PS user will have a slightly different way of doing things. Many jobs can be come at from a variety of angles, sometimes with identical results. Because PS has been developed and updated over so many years it can seem a bit labyrinthine, but that can work to your advantage sometimes.

jimjam
    Free Member

ayak23 – Member

I find the best way to learn is to mess about doing silly things, picking up specific tutorials on the way. It’s too much to sit down and try to remember what does what all in one.

Come up with some fun little projects to do and usually, along the way you will come across problems for which you can search for YouTube tutorials. That way you end up directly applying what you’re learning, and in a fun way.

That’s how I learned. If you’re struggling with PS just wait till you try After Effects or Maya.

binners

As everyone has said, just play around with it. It’s the only way to learn. You don’t use 90% of it anyway. On account of all the filters and stuff being largely pointless, and a bit rubbish. When I see obviously used filters, It’s normally a sign of someone who’s run out of ideas. Beveled text anyone?

You need to set out with a clear idea in your mind about what you want to achieve, then work your way around it, and ignore all the other stuff. Try stuff, get it wrong, try again. You have ‘how the he’ll have I just done that’ style happy accidents too.

I disagree that it’s not intuitive. I think very easy to work stuff out . As is all CS software.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I disagree that it’s not intuitive. I think very easy to work stuff out . As is all CS software.

if i can pick it up then it can’t be that difficult.
    i think it was one of the simon barnes (SFBarnes/Simon Barnes) who started a thread a couple of years ago saying it was just about the worst bit of software invented for usability and it was wrong and he was right in his thinking on how to make it better 😆
    it’s not perfect but as somebody who uses it every day to make money with it’s become more refined with every version. i wish it still had stamp down instead of merge in the layers palette though and the tiny preview window for looking at lens flare previews is annoying.

binners

When it comes to using stuff like the pen tool, it’s easier to start off in illustrater, as there’s less distractions, and it’s simpler.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Photoshop – learning process….’ is closed to new replies.