Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Photoshoot for an 8 year olds birthday party?
  • MoreCashThanDash

LittleMissMC has been invited to a friends birthday party which involves a photoshoot – apparently involving taking along a few different party dresses, they get to keep the photos etc.

My immediate reaction was it was a bit weird for that age, she’s not into make up and beauty yet, and if we can delay the inevitable pre-teen angst that all that will create all the better.

Am I just being overprotective?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jesus. As if that shit needs encouraged.

sc-xc

As if that shit needs TO BE encouarged.

Let’s not let get sloppy.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What Al said.
    WTF is special about a kid being 8 years old FFS?

(Medical problems/life expectancy from birth issues excluded)

Will they have a photoshoot every year?

johndoh
    Free Member

Just go with it. Our girls’ 6th birthday party last weekend – making teddy bears but then on to hair crimping/straightening with jewels and nail varnish. The kids loved it. Not so much the teachers the next day at school 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Kind of my attitude as well. Glad it’s not just me.

aracer
    Free Member

Sometimes I’m really glad I have boys.

Edric64
    Free Member

Probably ok unless Gary Glitter is the photographer

hels
    Free Member

That is so creepy it sends shivers down my spine.

Drac

Am I just being overprotective?

Yes. Kids love to dress up. My 2 have always loved putting outfits on, if they go anywhere for a meal they’ll put a favourite outfit on. They’ve done that since about 3 years of age.

scaled
    Free Member

Stop being such a diva 😉

mogrim

Go with it, sounds fun.

loddrik
    Free Member

My 5 year old is completely obsessed with make up and preening. She hasn’t got it from us so. It must be an instinct thing. She seems to permanently have eye shadow mascara and lipstick on around the house. We don’t let her wear it outside but it’s crazy that she’s so into it and is such a girly girl. By contrast my 9 year old thi ks it’s disgusting and wouldn’t be seen dead in a dress or makeup.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Wierd, really wierd, but the kids will probably love it so doesn’t really matter much what we think.

mogrim

Wierd, really wierd,

Really? I’m guessing you don’t have daughters. Mine have certainly done stuff like this.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Nope 2 boys but go to girls parties. the dressing up isn’t the wierd bit (the eldest currently permanently resides inside an Elsa from Frozen dress), more the photoshoot.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I’m all for being the modern dad… but at some point us gents have to stand aside and let Mum take full control.

This is one of those moments.

shermer75
    Free Member

I don’t like it but unfortunately we are currently living in a hyper-alert climate. The photoshoot might be perfectly innocent but what is weird is that the people organising it aren’t more aware that it would raise concern.

aracer
    Free Member

She’s just come up with the idea of make up etc. from nowhere out of instinct? 😯 🙄

Presumably she has no other influences on her apart from you.

DezB
    Free Member

Of course it’s innocent.
    Paedo: Hey, I want pics of 8 year old girls, how can I do this without anyone noticing? I know I’ll set up a Party Arrangement and advertise to everyone that I’m taking pics of little girls. They’ll never suspect a thing.

edlong
    Free Member

My daughter went to one a few months ago, similar age. Neither we nor she were overly excited at the prospect, she’s a bit of a tomboy with little interest in makeup etc. That said, they all had a good time and the make up etc. wasn’t overdone – the photos were actually quite nice.

Wouldn’t be my choice (or my daughter’s) but I wouldn’t describe it as weird or creepy either, based on our experience.

Drac

Oh my God someone taking photos at a kids party.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Don’t get me wrong, the charlie chester alarm isn’t ringing, just think it’s a bit odd.

cubist
    Free Member

Make ups got to be better than bloody face paints. Trying to stop my son looking like Darth Maul for school the next day without actually removing his actual face in the process is a nightmare…

GrahamS

Seems like a nice idea for a party to me.

brakes
    Free Member

you’re too old for party dresses GrahamS

GrahamS

Maybe, but I look pretty good in my kilt, which is practically the same thing.

Drac

It is the same thing.

iolo
    Free Member

So let’s get this straight. Your kid gets to go to a party? Gets to play dressing up? Gets some nice photos taken and given so you can hang her pictures on the wall in pretty dresses? You don’t have to pay?
    I’m struggling to find the problem here.
    If you’re not happy for whatever reason, either tell the party organiser (parent of birthday kid) you don’t want it or keep your kid away. The other option would be to say thanks and frame the photos.

irelanst
    Free Member

My girl did something similar last year for her 8th birthday, she wanted a ‘top model party’ so we built a red carpet runway in the garden, friends in the trade did hair and makeup we hired loads of dresses and I took the photos and printed them out for them to take home, all the kids loved it and most of the mums! If you think it’s ‘weird’ then I think it says more about you than them.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Photoshoot for an 8 year olds birthday party?’ is closed to new replies.