Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Photoists – Gorillapods – any good?
  • organic355
    Free Member

I hope so, as just ordered a gorillapod focus (the heavy rated SLR one) and ballhead for my SLR to assist with some macro Photography, along with my new (old) lense amd macro tube supplied Free by Samuri. (thanks again).

Will eventually get a full tripod, but fancied one of these wrap around types to start. Will also be useful for filming karate stuff in Class and securing camera up high somewhere.

crazy-legs

That reminds me, I’ve got a GorillaPod for sale.

It’s for sale cos I no longer use it, not cos it’s rubbish! They’re very good, very versatile.

plumber
    Free Member

for the SLR bigger ones they are great until the joints get slack then you need to buy another one.

Takes about 2 years for this to happen in my experience

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve got a chinese copy job from ebay. It works fine but i’ve not had anything as heavy as a SLR on it.

5thElefant
    Free Member

It’s for sale cos I no longer use it, not cos it’s rubbish! They’re very good, very versatile.

Mine languishes in a cupboard…

I can’t find a use for it either.

cmjdavies
    Free Member

My cheap(er) ebay one fell to bits really quickly, all the knuckles cracked. I bought a proper one and it’s been much better. I hang an SLR with heavy lenses off trees.

If you are doing macro you’ll probably want something on rails rather than a ball head though as you’ll want to be able to move the camera forwards or backwards tiny amounts to get the focus right

AlexSimon

I use an SLR one for small cameras and flashes – great for that.

My SLR and decent lens was way way too heavy for it to be useful though. Just about doable if you use a timer, so that the wobbling has time to stop 🙂

scotroutes

As above – they’re OK until the balls wear and then they’re useless.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ve got a chinese copy job from ebay. It works fine but i’ve not had anything as heavy as a SLR on it.

Mine broke, so I bought a proper one.

Great to use, but fiddley to set-up because there is so much adjustment. I strap mine onto my small SLR pack or will use it when very ‘mobile’, but take my proper tripod to anywhere I’m more static.

I use the SLR and compact versions and like both, particularly if I’m on my own.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

My SLR and decent lens was way way too heavy for it to be useful though. Just about doable if you use a timer, so that the wobbling has time to stop

There is that. Not used anything bigger than a Nikon D90 with Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 – I now have a D300 so it’ll be interesting to see how that works. I imagine a big zoom could cause problems too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Photoists – Gorillapods – any good?’ is closed to new replies.