Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Photography Q – Lens upgrade, worth it?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Anybody want a Sigma 17-70? Seriously.

A bit hasty there, ignore me. 🙂

heihei

I'd agree with the comment about cropping to achieve the required image. For biking photos I want to share, I spend quite a bit of time cropping and manipulating the image to get the effect I'm after. The critical points then become making sure it's in focus (easier said than done) and the shutter speed is fast enough to avoid unwanted blurring.
    I've a Nikon D90 which I use an 18-200mm lens, and add a 10.5mm fisheye when I want that effect. I've also started taking the big flashgun out with me too. Whilst that lot is quite heavy, I can ditch my tool kit on group rides so it's not too bad!

bomberman
    Free Member

PP – if your selling the 17-70, email me with a price as i'm on the lookout for one. Can i just add that buying a cheap canon 18-55 IS would be not much use because you can't use IS to stop action (which im guessing you'll want for MTB shots). IS only prevents camera shake with still subjects. Maybe the problem could be that the sigma 17-70 only has an f2.8 at 17mm? so when you zoom in to 70mm you're not getting enough light into the lens to stop the action? What with winter coming up and maybe being under trees and forests where its dark i would be looking at something with a mid zoom and a constant 2.8, and maybe an off camera flash as well.

Ewan
    Free Member

I've got a 17-70mm 2.8 I must say that i've never found a problem with it's sharpness. It's within a gnatts whisker of being as sharp as my 70-200 F4L and my 50mm prime. Certainly once you've stopped down to 5.6 there is nothing in it…

That being said, that particular sigma model is a bit notorius for being of variable quality. I made sure I tested it in the shop before handing over the readys. Doesn't help you tho I guess!

manitou
    Free Member

If I could afford it I would buy some 2.8 or better lenses for my camera. I take low light music venues (pubs/clubs) and would love to have some faster lenses.
    a sample of my stuff
    simon mcbride @ charlotte street blues

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

You can buy my Siggy 24-70mm for a couple of hundred quid, been thinking about buying something posh like a 24-105L for a while

Nice example, sharp and in good nick with constant f2.8 throughout the range

JxL
    Free Member

Personally I would never buy a superzoom as 18-200mm, also its only for 1.6x sensors? If you have any plans in the future to upgrade to full frame, would stick to EF lenses.

If you want sharpness, stick to prime lenses, maybe L range if you get a full frame body and a lot of spare cash 🙂

tlr

Now Peter is sorted, and we are on a bit of a lens love-in, has any body got (or know of) a Canon 100-400 thats for sale?

I've been looking for a while and haven't found one.

Cheers

pacemaker
    Free Member

I have a 100-400 and to be totally honest, it isnt worth the money, i would now buy a sigma 120-400 as it is as sharp as the Canon but about half the price, the only thing is my Canon 1.4 converter wouldn't work on it.

I also have the 70-200 2.8L IS and that is an outstanding lens in every sense!

bomberman
    Free Member
Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Photography Q – Lens upgrade, worth it?’ is closed to new replies.