Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Photography blog update: The Vulnerability of Self
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

For those interested:

The Vulnerability of Self

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I really enjoyed reading that, thanks geetee. Great pics. I never really thought too much about my moderate shyness being a factor behind the lens – but reading that you’ve made me appreciate how it affects the portraits I take. I note your portraits are at some distance/3/4 portraits – is this for unified compositional value or do you think some subjects warrant a close-up/imposing frame if their personality suggests such?

geetee1972
    Free Member

That’s a really interesting and insightful question and it’s not escaped my notice either. Even more interesting is that I wasn’t previously aware that this is my default/unconscious preference until just recently and it’s something I’ve been thinking about.

The answer I’ve come up with so far (and this would actually make a really good blog post so thanks for bringing it up) is twofold.

First I think that my strong preference is for something that shows the person; the whole person and that person in some sort of context. I think that posture and the way a person holds themselves is a big part of conveying who they are. It’s not quite ‘environmental portraiture’ although that is something that really does interest me, but it’s not far off. I also think that with close in head shots, it’s too easy for the emphasis to shift from ‘the person’ to the lighting, the glamour the technical aspects etc.

The second reason is much more personal and relates to the vulnerability of self.

I suspect I have a problem with intimacy; I connect but not too closely. That’s perhaps too personal to ellaborate on but it is something that is the product of my childhood (which I reference in the blog) and something that a close family member, who is a very eminent and published psychologist, has also commented on.

I’ll do a follow up blog post. Drop me an email either through here or the site and I will let you know when it’s up.
    Thankyou – that was a startling comment with real insight.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Interesting stuff GT.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Thanks Al – nice of you to comment.

cynic-al
    Free Member

NP. I like pics, your analysis of them and your candour.

I’d like to do portraits like that but am too shy to ask!

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’d like to do portraits like that but am too shy to ask!

I can understand that. But I’ve seen your level of engagement in debate on this site and I’m convinced that that kind of engagement is indicative of someone who has the ability to also engage strangers in the street and take these kind of photographs. Just needs a bit of practise and initial bravery.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

GT, thx for linking that. Great site and photos.

Euro
    Free Member

Interesting stuff. Your demons must be fit, what with all that exercise 😛

yunki
    Free Member

Quite an insight into your perceptions of the subjects..
    I found it interesting that from looking at the images my perceptions contrasted quite strongly

geetee1972
    Free Member

I found it interesting that from looking at the images my perceptions contrasted quite strongly

Do share. I’d be genuinely interested to hear your thoughts.

Interesting stuff. Your demons must be fit, what with all that exercise

True but as I’ve got older I’ve found that your demons never really go away and they have a different impact on your life at different points in your life. You need to keep exercising them. Well I do. Other people might be different. It’s not wholly unlike being an alcoholic I imagine.

nickc

Thanks GT interesting read, loved the backgrounds and your thoughts about your subjects which is often missed from portraiture.

I’ve bookmarked your site

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Photography blog update: The Vulnerability of Self’ is closed to new replies.