Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Photographers – what was that bleeding racket?
  • BigJohn

I was listening to a press conference today on the radio. The machine-gun like racket from the cameramen was just about all I could hear. Not in itself a problem, as live press conferences are the most futile things on the radio as you usually have to guess what the question was that the foreign football manager is answering so incoherently.

I could understand it in the days of 35mm and motor drives, but why are the members of Her Majesty's Press Corps so bloody noisy?

coffeeking
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What I don't get is………

Why do digital cameras have a shutter? (or is it just the mirror people refer to when talking about shutter failiure on digital cameras being arround 100,000 actuations?)

If so, why isnt the viewfinder just an LCD and remove the last of the moving parts?

Trimix
    Free Member

It is on some modern cameras.

coffeeking
    Free Member

TINAS- It's the SL bit of the SLR, photogs want to see what their camera will see through its lens, not through a tiny low res screen on the back. Without the shutter and mirror setup you need a second lens for the viewfinder and you wont see the same results as the sensor sees.

In DSLRs the shutter is a rolling physical shutter, the bit that makes all the noise is the mirror moving out of the way. It's the shutter that fails normally, but its not too expensive to replace. Some use electronic shutters in "live view" mode, which has its place.

Part of the problem is that when the sensor is exposed it heats up, creating noise. the larger the sensor and lens assembly, the more heat produced. If you were to use an elec shutter only, you'd find that the sensor would need more coolinga nd would be more likely to produce noise (AFAIK).

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Why do digital cameras have a shutter? (or is it just the mirror people refer to when talking about shutter failiure on digital cameras being arround 100,000 actuations?)

I imagine it's to reduce the noise, and they wouldn't do it if the difference were not significant

If so, why isnt the viewfinder just an LCD and remove the last of the moving parts?

All the EVFs I've seen have been rubbish in resolution compared to the actual light coming through the lens – and also they drink battery power compared to the passive optical light path. I never turn my DSLR off, and the battery typically lasts about a week =~ 1000 photos

coffeeking
    Free Member

Agreed, even with chimping my canon lasts about 600 shots and remains on most of the time. My compact manages about 50 shots before it keels over with a battery pack with twice the capacity :s

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Photographers – what was that bleeding racket?’ is closed to new replies.