• This topic has 31 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Euro.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Photographers of STW – How can I take higher res pictures with my Nikon D5100?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I need to take some high resolution pictures of my studio for publication in a large format book.

I’ve followed the instructions in this link…

Shooting Menu – Image Size – Large … but my pictures are only around 500kb in size. That still is too small for the end user.

Is there something else I can try?

Failing that is there anyone in Fife that you could recommend to take them for me.

Drac

What format of image is it using?

RAW will give you higher quality.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2rjrr6y7pU[/video]

grahamt1980

can you not shoot raw on that? 500kb is tiny for a dslr.
    The raw image would be an unprocessed image direct from the sensor so should be around the size of the sensor.

davosaurusrex

I know bugger all about photography but have the same camera and as default it uses Normal resolution. In one of the sub menus you need to set it to Fine which about doubles the res IIRC

jaymoid

That’s a 16MP camera – 500kb files?!

What are the image dimensions of the images it’s producing? Should be 4928 x 3264

2nd the recommendation for RAW as well.

I’m not a Nikon use but would be tempted to reset the camera to default settings, then make sure you’re on the biggest image size and RAW.

frogstomp

Sounds like you are shooting in JPEG format.. switch to RAW in the settings (will give you better quality too – JPEG is compressed).

5thElefant
    Free Member

File size is only vaguely related to resoltion. Your nikon will be producing 16mp images.

500kb is very small but if your studio happens to be all white it will compress the image down, which might explain it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

file size/quality up to max and resolution also.

RAW files are huge and a bit better quality but require manipulating to turn into a jpeg – ask them what they want.

grum
    Free Member

You could take multiple shots and stitch them together using something like hugin.

I’m biased but I’d get a proper photographer in to do it. 🙂

stumpy01

Can you post a pic of the display to show what settings you are on?
    Sounds like something is amiss, unless as 5elefant says you are taking a mainly single colour image.

My D80 on large picture size and fine compression takes images of about 5Mb. RAW is 12mb, I think.

Drac

500kb is very small but if your studio happens to be all white it will compress the image down, which might explain it.

To 500kb? I doubt it.

5thElefant
    Free Member

To 500kb? I doubt it.

Yeah, it does seem odd.

cp

Dont shoot raw if you don’t know what you’re doing or don’t have the software to convert and need to get this done without too much faff.

You should be getting much bigger than 500kb though. As has been mentioned, make sure you;re shooting at the highest resolution and highest quality jpeg setting (they are two separate things).

stoffel
    Free Member

Niokon’s own specs suggest that 500kb is the smallest filesize:

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d5100/spec.htm

JPEG Basic Samll: 0.5Mb

So either you’ve done something wrong,or the camera is fritzed.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Shoot in raw for the highest quality image and use the software that came with the camera to process out an 8bit tiff for print/publication. Just set the white balence with eye dropper or ‘auto’ if you are not comfortable doing this yourself then ask if you can supply just the raw files but then you are open to the printer/designers interpretation of what that shot should look like.
    I think nikon captureNX or whatever it’s called is now free to download?

stoffel
    Free Member

CaptureNX is not that great really. Lightroom or Aperture are better. Butitsoundslike the op should leavesuch things to a ‘professional’. It will cost a lot of money mind, as they are highly skilled, trained and talented people. 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

But it’s free and will process out to tiff, it will be better than an out of camera jpeg.

stoffel
    Free Member

True, but then, the ‘processing’ process is best left to trained, skilled professional, no? I man, if an amateur does it, who knows what catastrophe could occur?

skids
    Free Member

MENU > Shooting Menu > Image Size > LARGE

MrSmith
    Free Member

True, but then, the ‘processing’ process is best left to trained, skilled professional, no? I man, if an amateur does it, who knows what catastrophe could occur?

Depends, I wouldn’t let a printer/designer anywhere near my raw files, they usually make a right pigs ear of things 😆
    Maybe supply a raw and a guide jpeg, that way they can process a high quality tiff out but match the colour to what the OP thinks the room should look like (if he can master the colour balance tool in the software)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Wow, thanks for the replies guys.

Sorry for the delay.

Under Image Size – I have the Large option.

Under Image Quality it is currently set at JPEG Normal.

There are several options

NEF (RAW) + JPEG fine
    NEF (RAW) + JPEG normal
    NEF (RAW) + JPEG basic
    NEF (RAW)
    JPEG fine
    JPEG normal
    JPEG basic

I only need to take the pictures, upload them to Picasa and forward the link to the photo editor. Anything more technical will be beyond me.

Which option should I select?

cp

JPEG fine

cp

I am amazed though at Image Size Large and JPEG normal you are only getting 500kb files. Are these 500kb files straight from the camera or are they 500kb after you have uploaded or exported through Picasa?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Uploading to picasa will reduce the quality.

cp

not if you select ‘upload original’ hence my question of where is the file size from…

grum
    Free Member

You want ‘fine’ rather than ‘normal’ surely?

stumpy01

Yep…fine compression, rather than normal.

I’d be shooting Large file size, with fine compression and not bothering with RAW for your requirements.

But, as said….500kb is very small. I’d be expecting nearer 5Mb for those settings….

Drac

JPEG Fine means it’s easily useable and will give a pretty good quality but as it’s for printing I’d use NEF (RAW) and JPEG Fine it will give best of both. A decent printers will use RAW as it give the best quality, they’re not difficult files to use at all and you still have the bonus of the JPEG for quick and easy use. Certainly a talented artist will be able to get fantastic results with a decent software as their eye for colours and light will be spot on.

ampthill

I shoot RAW all the time but as Picasa will only take jpg and shoot jpg

The main thing is to open the jpg and view it 1:1 (100%)

If it looks detailed your good to go

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I just noticed a setting on Picasa which gives the option of ‘original size’ or ‘best for web sharing’. I’d been using the latter, now I’ve switched to the original size they are taking much longer to load. I’m hoping it’s because the image size is bigger.

I think we’e cracked it.

EDIT latest image is ~ 7500kb

Drac

Picasa can use RAW.

https://support.google.com/picasa/answer/15625?hl=en-GB

Seem to be getting sorted McMoonter.

Euro
    Free Member

NEF RAW for best results.

Don’t use JEPG for anything you want produced to a professional standard. .Tif/.eps format for print and PNG for web for best results.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Photographers of STW – How can I take higher res pictures with my Nikon D5100?’ is closed to new replies.