Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Photochromic sunnies?
  • FOG

Having lost yet another pair of sunglasses I was wondering about buying some photochromic ones like the Endura ones to save fiddling with lenses when the weather changes. Do they work well enough and what’s the best [not too expensive] brand?

mysterymove
    Free Member

I have two pairs and yes they work very well – both Oakleys though so not cheap…

neninja
    Free Member

Oakley’s are probably the best but there are other decent options.

I’ve been really pleased with my Tifosi Dolomite Fototec glasses. They seem to be as good optically as anything else I’ve worn and the Fototec seems to work.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    njee20
    Free Member

I’ve recently got some of the ‘Clear Black Iridium’ Oakley photochromic lenses for my Jawbones and they’re really rather excellent. Certainly makes the yellow lenses redundant and can’t see I’ll use the normal Black Iridiums much either.

mintimperial

I’ve got prescription sunnies with a Transitions coating on them and they’re flipping ace. Great for everything from night riding to a blazing UK summer’s day. They change pretty fast too, so riding from out in the open into shade under the trees isn’t really a problem either. I wouldn’t want to use them on snow in full sunshine though, they’re not quite dark enough for that. Not cheap though…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Agreed, I have a pair of Oakley Flak Jacket XLJs in the Persimmon/Black Iridium flavour and they are utterly supeb.

For a budget, try Ryders. Awful name, but good budget sunnies, IMO.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

njee20 – where did you get your lenses from? I can’t seem track any down for my Jawbones.
    Ta

njee20
    Free Member

njee20 – where did you get your lenses from?

Ordered via the LBS (about a month ago), but agree they don’t seem to be on the Oakley website anymore which is odd.

I was in 2 minds about whether to get them for my Jawbones or my Radars, went with Jawbones as there was no availability on Radars and even Oakley couldn’t tell me when they may be getting some, perhaps because they’re not doing them separately at the moment…

fuzzhead
    Free Member

thanks – it is odd that they aren’t on the Oakley website, and some shops are showing them as “discontinued”. Weird. I’ll try going thru the LBS.
    Do they really go clear under low light/darkness?

trickydisco
    Free Member
    fuzzhead
    Free Member

thanks trickydisco – that’s pretty clear!

njee20
    Free Member

Do they really go clear under low light/darkness?

Yep, I’ve been wearing them for night riding, would say they’re totally clear. The Specialized ones never used to go quite as clear, the Oakleys are far better there.

It’s more the opposite end of the spectrum they’re a bit lacking, they don’t go that dark. Probably still use the Black Iridiums for very sunny days, or just my Radars!

johnhe

I have a Spesh pair which have excellent lenses, but I don’t find the frame that comfortable. But they’re great for going from dark to light. I then bought a £30ish pair of Endura’s hoping to replace my Spesh ones (which are dopey yellow). The Endura ones are really disappointing – I think I’d prefer to swap lenses.

16stonepig
    Free Member

I used to have Specialized ones and absolutely loved them. I’ve actually been through 3 pairs (keep losing/breaking them) and now, maddeningly, I can’t find them anywhere.

soundninjauk

Got some Oakley photocromic Split Jackets,(exactly the same as trickydisco’s pair except not prescription), and they’re ace. They start of completely clear and I never actually notice the change when I’m out and about riding. But yeah, not exactly uber cheap.

clubber
    Free Member

I had the Oakley VR50 transitions:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/oakley-transitions-experiences-particularly-the-infraredvr50-version

I now have the clear/black iridium ones which are similar but go a bit lighter and a bit darker

http://www.sunglasses-shop.co.uk/oakley-lenses/jawbone/clear-black-iridium-photochromic-vented-16-991/31747.aspx
    with money off if you go via quidco.

Paceman
    Free Member

The Spesh adaptalite ones are great, mine have lasted years but I don’t think you can get them anymore??

nicko74

Another vote for Spesh adaptalite here – I wear mine for biking, skiing, dogsledding and the like and it still surprises me just how dark they go when it’s properly bright. And I’ve completely bought into the marketing spiel about how the photochromatic element is within the lens material, not on the surface (and hence doesn’t rub off). I went from being a long-time Oakley advocate to not wanting to go back on the basis of my Spesh Divides.

There are a few stores still selling what looks like remnant inventory – Google is your friend.

Houns

I have clear/black iridium for my Racing Jackets and have Ruby/VR50 for my Radars

Both are great hth

njee20
    Free Member

and now, maddeningly, I can’t find them anywhere.

As above, they’ve been discontinued.

I had several pairs of the Spesh ones, they weren’t bad, longevity was crap though IMO! The Arcs were the best, but they weren’t very comfortable and were Oakley money. The Oakley range of transition is far better than either the Spesh road or MTB lenses too.

thepurist

The Endura ones are a bit limited in their range – they go from ‘a bit dark’ to ‘a bit darker’. They’re OK but I think others have got a bigger range of tint – MrsP’s prescription specs from Optilabs are way more reactive than my Enduras. FWIW I wouldn’t buy them again when it comes to replace these.

fontmoss
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem like there are any radar path clear/black vented glasses?
    Not that I have 200 quid to drop on sunnies anyway

timmys

The clear to black Oakley are bloody fantastic, no need to ever change lenses from night riding to blazing sun. I had to get my Jawbones ones from the States (eBay) but it sounds from the above as though they might be available separately in the UK now.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Photochromic sunnies?’ is closed to new replies.