Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Photo taking etiquette at race meets etc
  • spacemonkey

One of my friends is an amateur photographer who's keen to get some outdoor shots into his portfolio. I mentioned MTBing because you can get some great shots, although it could take loads of poor/average/"don't do it credit to the moment" shots to get them.

Hence I figure a race meet might be a good opportunity to get some images of both riders and scenery. So, is there any etiquette surrounding this? Could he just rock up and start snapping or is there a more official process?

He lives in the south east, so an event in the area would be preferred.

Cheers
    SM

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just pitch up & be sensible.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Any doubts call/email the organiser & ask.
    There may well be a pro event photographer trying to earn a living & might not take kindly to someone just turning up & taking pics, but if they know he's there & what he's doing I doubt there'd be a problem.
    Also might be an idea to make sure he's insured, just incase the worst happens.

spacemonkey

Good points – hadn't thought about the insurance. Tarp.

digiphotoneil
    Free Member

Depends on the ride, but if its a public event in public space he has every right to make some pictures. You could email the race organisers, but they probably have more important things to care about.

Politeness and common sense do apply in spades however, don't get in the way of the race or marhsalls or a hired event photographer. If you are bugging someone, let them alone. Don't be a distraction or a hazard. Help out if someone needs help (within race rules) and be open and friendly, chat to people, marshalls and spectators.

I think the Brighton Big Dog is coming up soon.

njee20
    Free Member

Help out if someone needs help (within race rules)

So that's no help at all then, assuming you mean racers 🙂

Brighton Big Dog is in 3 weeks, there's also 2 Southern XC races and the national marathaon champs, all in the South East in the next 6 weeks or so.

woodsman
    Free Member

I was going to suggest the Big Dog 14th Aug – a Sat.

nbt

I've done a couple of events recently (see here for one of them: http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/htn-pictures-thread ) and what has been said above is pretty much how I behaved – turn up, be cnie, help out, don't get in the way. If you're an amateur and not looking to make money don't worry about insurance, you will probably be covered on household legal cover anyway. If you're a pro you should have public liability insurance in any case

goldenwonder
    Free Member

don't worry about insurance, you will probably be covered on household legal cover anyway.

Probably one of the worst bits of advise I've ever heard!!!!

elliptic
    Free Member

make sure he's insured, just in case the worst happens

😯

Ummm… so… there I was taking some photos of the racers going by when I tripped over my camera bag and my flash accidentally went off and a passing 747 mistook it for the runway lights and crash-landed on the beer tent in the race arena which startled some passing nuns who dropped their basket of cute fluffy kittens into a fast-flowing river…?

nbt

Do you understand insurance? you weigh up the risk of something happening versus the likelihood, and the potential consequences. Most home insurance policies carry legal cover. You are not doing photography professionally, just as a hobby, so why get professional cover?

Edit: I see from your link you;re a pro, you should have cover anyway

Looking at it the other way, you are more likely to fall off you r bike and seriously injure yourself while riding, rendering yourself unable to work and thus losing your house and wife. Are you insured for that? 🙄

spacemonkey

Nice one chaps – I'll check out the calendars and have a look at BBD.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

& might not take kindly to someone just turning up & taking pics

too bad!

chakaping
    Free Member

Of all the hobbies I might want to get insurance for, photography would come pretty low down the list.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I'm not too sure.
    It's not uncommon for photographers to put themselves in pretty stupid locations (like the racing line) in an attempt to get a good photo, or do daft things like fire flashes into peoples faces on night sections, but if you're not one of those you have little to worry about 🙂

Alphabet

You wouldn't bother with insurance if you were just turning up to cheer the riders on so why bother just because you're taking a few snaps (no matter what equipment you're using)?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just rock up and take photos. No need to have any more insurance than if you were just walking in the area. Dn't be a moron, stay out of the way and don't distract people and all will be fine.

hels
    Free Member

Speak to the event organiser in all cases.

It depends on the level of event, but they may be issuing Press Passes. If the event is on private land* they can decide who has access and who doesn't but of course this is nearly impossible to police. If you ask nicely and give them your details all is well.

Any organiser who knows what they are doing will have made sure the participants have given their permission to be photographed (or their parents if they are under 18) and that they are able to use these pics.

And yes stay behind the tape and do as you are told ! We had to do a re-run at iXS Cup as some photographer guy got right in the landing zone, disobeying the marshals etc. Luckily the rider wasn't hurt.

(we run kids races for under 16s, and the last thing I want is some random turing up and taking pictures. I have a friendly chat with all photographers I see while out on the course and get their names and a card if they have them, and ask for copies of the best ones)

*all Forestry Commission land – where most MTB events take place in Scotland

spacemonkey

Sounds pretty much like common sense – something we should have a grasp of in MTBing terms at least. And I know Chris well enough to know he'll be fine when on the loose.

WillH

Photography is a hobby of mine and I wanted to get some experience of shooting action shots, so I went along to a local DH practise day. I asked the guy organising it if it was ok to take some pics, he said yep fine, just stay off the course (i.e. stay off the lines the guys are riding in case they crash into you). I asked they riders if they were ok with it, particularly the flash going off. They said yeah, no worries, so off I toddled.

It was a very useful day out for me, I learned a few things and saw some excellent riding. Afterwards I asked the riders about the flash, they said they never even saw me. I sent the organiser copies of the pics (well, the decent ones, anyway), he was stoked.

marsdenman
    Free Member

All the 'common sense' bases covered above.

One other, little, thought -offering complimentary use of images to the organisers, for example, is normally well received – helps them promote their event, just ask that they credit you with taking the shot.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Your welcome to come to the Big Bike Bash. Not your typical bike race though 😉

spacemonkey

Your welcome to come to the Big Bike Bash. Not your typical bike race though

Thanks, but the good lady is expecting 1st Sep, so I'd best be in the vicinity. Also, it's not me who'll be taking the snaps – it's my friend Chris.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Your welcome to come to the Big Bike Bash. Not your typical bike race though

Does the official photographer mind? 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

I've worked as the official photographer and now as a less official photographer. As an official photographer I didn't like when people didn't repect what I was doing, that's to say standing directly in front of me!! I take time to view and often ride the circuits before a shoot so I know the best, IMO, places to shoot from and the best way to move around the circuit. So not just a case of arriving whipping out the camera and racking off a couple of hundred shots. I also accepted that the circuit is an open public space and the public had a right to be wherever. The only spot I expected and would even demand was directly infront of the podium. Everywhere else was open, I knew that popular spaces would be heavily occupied so I always have a plan B. Generally I'm well known and people make space for me, 😆 , which is nice!

Not so sure about the insurance. As an official photographer I was covered by the Federation insurance and allowed into the circuits, as a less official photographer I would advise that you stay off the circuit.

Be careful of the riders… The genuine athletes and winners are all very nice, the Sunday riders out for a bit of fun are very nice, the "all the gear and no ideas" are a pain in the ar5e and will give you abuse for preventing them from winning if you get within 5m of the racing line and force them to take evasive action, losing valuable seconds…

If you're in a low position, watch out for the snotters!!! I think that's some form of cycling complement!!

Flash in a well lit area isn't generally a problem, be careful if it's a bit dark.

By all means tell the organiser what you're doing, I don't, again more often than not they already know me.

Private land I don't know as all races here are, I believe, on public space so not an issue.

And above all follow your common sense, not all that common, I know.

Enjoy.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Photo taking etiquette at race meets etc’ is closed to new replies.