Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Photo shoot – in or around North Wales – where?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

OK, so trying to plan a photoshoot for this Saturday with Laurence CE (http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurence-ce/sets/72157625389698843/), but problem is we can’t think of where to go.

He is in Mold, and I’m in Colwyn Bay, so North Wales or nearby ideally.

We’ve shot a lot of stuff; remote XC, generic DH, dirtjumps, wooden stunts etc etc, and trying to think of somewhere a bit different.

Shoot will either be for big or small bike (or both). Ideally, in a picturesque location (can be the best trail but not too great if it’s next to a Tescos).

Thought of Lee Quarry, not been before and it looks quite fun, but it’s a bit of a trek (2hours from me).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Ta, Duane 🙂

sambob
    Free Member

Peak District, particularly the Dark Peak is 2 hours from North Wales, some very nice landscapes, in a monochrome Dark Peak only sort of way.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

llanberris slate quarry?

oglyndwr
    Free Member

Berwyns, great views, loads of singletrack, pretty quiet. Not too far

project
    Free Member

The Verandah below llangwfan forest, lots of deep really slippy mud last sunday, great views though, moel arthur nearby, as is penycloddiu.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ogwen Valley, Devil’s Kitchen. When it’s all boiling up and proper primeval….

Duane; Kevevs is yer mayn. He’s an artist, and I understand you know him, so he’d be a good person to ask actually. He knows about aesthetics and stuff. He and SueW know loads of beautiful places in that area. They’d be the ones I’d be consulting for possible locations.

chiefP
    Free Member

Duane have a read of this from DavidM, could be worth a go next to Ogwen.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/hardest-trail-you-have-ever-ridden/page/3

Ffynnon Llugwy Reservoir is in the picture in case you were wondering.

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Blaenau Ffestiniog

Ride up to the stwlan dam, above the hydro power station for some dramatic scenery and some James Bond vibes.
    Dirt did a superb photo shoot here a few Years ago.
    Also ceck out Cwmorthin near by above Tan y Grisiau, See if you can ride down some of the old Inclines !! Also you can then go up to Rhosydd abandoned barracks village and even go underground ( but take care )

located mid point between Coed y Brenin and Betws

jedi

pembroke coast?

Ambrose

Is this for a bike shoot or otherwise? As suggested above, Vivian (or other quarries) is a very atmospheric place, especially if accessed via Matilda / higher. Rhosydd/ Cwmorthin are equally photogenic, in my mind bleaker. The semi abandoned Japanese Garden on the access track up from Tan-y Grisiau is a whole world of possibilities.

The riverside path from Pont Aberglaslyn towards Beddgelert is another possibilty. Lots of moving and still water, lots of interest too- mountains, river, steam.

Sea cliffs/ cave at Tonfennau, just north of Tywyn always please.

Loads more ideas too, can you be a bit more specific?

Duane…
    Free Member

Cheers all.

Well, a bike shoot, as in, I’ll be on a bike, riding it.

See here for previous examples (some are of me);
    http://laurence-ce.pinkbike.com/album/UK-2011/

So really looking for trails with decent features on too.

Fairly settled on Lee Quarry I think. Now to decide which bike to take…

devs
    Free Member

Goes from north Wales to Lee Quarry to take nice pics?? *shakes head*

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Might be worth heading to Nant Gwrtheyrn; with a bit of creative freeriding, there should be another POD around there somewhere:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvRXlkJHJBg[/video]

.duncan
    Free Member

I’d only go Lee quarry if you wanted loads of fun cycling as well as ok photos.. the trails themselves looks quite cool but other than that its mundane.. some cheeky freeride around nant g would be far more interesting IMO

Kevevs
    Free Member

what beicmynydd said I reckon. The old Wrysgan and Cwmorthin slate mining area above Tan-y-grisiau, Blaenau is pretty visual and different. It’s not rad gnarly jumpy but you can get about on a bike, and if it’s a photoshoot, it’s just whatever makes the shot eh? all the old abandoned buildings and mining machinery with all the massive mounds of slate waste would be a totally different setting, lot of history. Nice n grey n horrible and wintry and WELSH 🙂 Lee Quarry looks more of a laugh tho’ tbh.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Photo shoot – in or around North Wales – where?’ is closed to new replies.