Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Photo sharing website – which?
  • timwillows
    Free Member

I am looking to set up a photo sharing area for my club. Quite happy for it to be open access for viewing, but would like to restrict posting to club members. Would like ability to tag, label and sort into albums. what are my options?
    Flickr seems to obvious choice, but could also try to build something on the club website (Ignite Gallery on Joomla?) also, there are a pile of Flickr competitors – whats good for this at the moment?
    Free is good, but could probably pay up to £60/year but its not going to work if each club member who wants to post has to pay for the privilege

scotroutes

Flickr

onandon
    Free Member

I signed up the Flickr after photobucket became knobs. However, I need to use a pc for links as they aren’t showing on the apple products I own. Fail.

CountZero

Flickr seem institutionally predisposed to making life as difficult as possible for users of iDevices, despite the great majority of photos being taken on them.
    You could almost imagine Flickr is owned by Google or Samsung.
    Hmmm, parent company is Yahoo, maybe that accounts for their inability to make things work properly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s Yahoo CZ….
    Works fine in web page mode on most devices though doesn’t it. For uploading and viewing is it much of a hassle?
    They have email upload so that might help for multiple users not needing to be on the same account.
    Failing that facebook actually probably has all that covered though FB account needed.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Our running club use Facebook, it’s the only thing I use Facebook for

tillydog
    Free Member

Have a look at Cluster, too.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Flickr seem institutionally predisposed to making life as difficult as possible for users of iDevices

I think Flickr still aspires to be the ‘photographers’ medium and as such, regards camera phones with a certain amount of disdain, despite as you point out, them being the most popular devices with which Flickr images are created.

Instagram has stolen the lead from Flickr preicesely because of this; they’ve made their platform much more user friendly for camera phones but as a consequence, it’s a less serious platform for sharing ‘fine art’ photography.

OP if your club is anything other than a photography club (which I guess it is), I would think that Facebook is probably the best option. You’ll likely get more from sharing photographs if you focus on that being about community and community building rather than just about sharing images. Facebook is very good for that.

There are lots of other photo sharind sites like 500pix, Instagram, Smugmug, Dropbox etc, but none really come close to providing a sense of community around a club or society; they’re all more focused on sharing images.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Instagram has stolen the lead from Flickr preicesely because of this; they’ve made their platform much more user friendly for camera phones but as a consequence, it’s a less serious platform for sharing ‘fine art’ photography.

Except they make it even harder to share images themselves just the post which for a lot of places doesn’t work. That and it is almost impossible to organise, collaborate or search unless you got your hashtags right on day 1

geetee1972
    Free Member

Except they make it even harder to share images themselves just the post which for a lot of places doesn’t work. That and it is almost impossible to organise, collaborate or search unless you got your hashtags right on day 1

This is very true.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Photo sharing website – which?’ is closed to new replies.