Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 220 total)
  • Photo of a bike thief?
  • uplink
    Free Member

Well OK he might not be the one that lifted it but this is my bike that was stolen on June 24th
    The guy in the window is the one that was riding it
    My daughter snapped this on her lunch break today

it has different forks,wheels & saddle & he's added a kids saddle on the top tube & some crud catchers but – without a doubt – it's mine

I hope he's a creature of habit 😉

andrewh
    Free Member

Make a note of your frame number and go armed with a very big lock…

grumm
    Free Member

Isn't that possibly libelous or something?

uplink
    Free Member

I don't have the frame number but when I reported it stolen I listed every single component

uplink
    Free Member

Isn't that possibly libelous or something

don't care

grumm
    Free Member

Well that guy might have bought the bike in good faith.

uplink
    Free Member

still don't care

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Well that guy might have bought the bike in good faith.

still stolen and therefore not his

however you need to give him back the "extra's"

DT78
    Free Member

Personally if I were you I would just chalk it up to experience. However they got hold of your bike make sure they can't again. From looking at it in the picture the bike doesn't look like an expensive one it really wouldn't be worth the potential trouble with the police. (if they are a thieving scrot they will undoubtabely use the police to their advantage).

EDIT – and yes I have had a bike nicked in the past. I now have kyrptonite locks/ground anchors and a motion alarm – and M&S insurance….

epicyclo

If you gently massage a bike thief with a baseball bat they are often amenable to returning "borrowed" items.

kick his ed in! then ride over him!

timraven

Hmmm, seems a spurious connection with that many parts changed. If you really need to pursue this I would ask questions before the baseball bat massage.

Frankers
    Free Member

grumm – Member

Isn't that possibly libelous or something?

uplink – Member

don't care

I'm with the man who "don't care"

Too many people in this country are far too concerned with so called human rights………like you grumm

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

'it has different forks,wheels & saddle & he's added a kids saddle on the top tube & some crud catchers but – without a doubt – it's mine'

What timraven said. You'd look a proper numpty if you twa**ed him with your spare Bombers & the frame numbers were different. I mean it's not exactly unique is it?

uplink
    Free Member

Believe me, that bike is mine

I rode it pretty much every day since 2nd June 2002 until it was stolen on 24th June this year
    It has many parts on it that were handed down from other bikes & I can even recall the scratches & marks on them
    Other things like the full length cables along the top tube & the 1/2 XT, 1/2 Deore rear mech & the Bontrager stem give it away

No it wasn't expensive – my wife bought me it for my birthday from Halfords as a way to recuperate from illness & it got me back into bikes again so I'm not inclined to just let it go

I can't make it down there today but tomorrow I'll be waiting & if he turns up I think I'll just ride it away & then tell the police what I've done

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It has to be said, I'm with Uplink on this one. If you're that sure, have it back mate, sod it.

mikertroid
    Free Member

DT,

how much does the insurance cost.

Just getting my life sorted after all my mtb gear was nicked. Don't want to repeat in a hurry.

higgo
    Free Member

I'm with Uplink on this one. If you're that sure, have it back mate, sod it.

Me too.

bassspine
    Free Member

I feel almost sorry for the poor bloke who spent his last few quid on a bike to carry his kid to school on. Bought it in good faith from a second hand shop so he could start riding again after a long illness so he could spend with his son after his wife died.

Its all black and white here isn't it.

I got MY bike back by having a quiet word with the security bods at the spot where I saw MY bike parked. No need for violence. In the end, the second hand shop (AKA 'the stolen bike shop') got busted. The student lost his money. My bike was never the same again…

Kramer
    Free Member

uplink, I can't make out the details of all these parts on the picture you've posted, how can you be so sure?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I feel almost sorry for the poor bloke who spent his last few quid on a bike to carry his kid to school on. Bought it in good faith from a second hand shop so he could start riding again after a long illness so he could spend with his son after his wife died.

Oh give it up. I can almost hear the violins playing now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

doesnt make it any better …buying stolen goods is as bad as stealing them …

Id kill for the chance to see my rig in a situation like that ….

i have sooo many happy memorys on that bike and they will not be added to anymore 🙁

Im with the who **** cares crowd. Just make sure you give them a chance to explain if they didnt steal it they will be happy for the copshop to come

uplink
    Free Member

Its all black and white here isn't it.

Indeed, it's mine & I'll have it back

If he did have some sad story as you painted above, I would probably let him take it back but, failing that, him [& his kid] will shortly be walking everywhere

allthepies
    Free Member

As you said, he's probably a creature of habit so get yerself down to the sarnie shop at lunchtimes and reclaim!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Uplink, man, I love your attitude. Please let us know how this all finishes!

uplink
    Free Member

uplink, I can't make out the details of all these parts on the picture you've posted, how can you be so sure?

The photo is higher res than fotopic links to
    My daughter instantly recognised it too

grumm
    Free Member

Too many people in this country are far too concerned with so called human rights………like you grumm

Well if I'd bought a bike in good faith I wouldn't be too impressed about someone posting pictures of me on the net calling me a bike thief. It might have gone through many owners or a second hand shop by now.

What purpose does this thread actually serve apart from getting a few people all riled up with their Daily Mail 'justice' fantasies?

uplink
    Free Member

What purpose does this thread actually serve apart from getting a few people all riled up with their Daily Mail 'justice' fantasies?

since when has any thread needed a purpose?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

apart from getting a few people all riled up with their Daily Mail 'justice' fantasies?

Seriously, I don't see anyone who's riled up fella. Uplink is being very calm, collected and matter-of-fact about it all really. It's his bike, and he's going to try and get it back. A very simple POV. 🙂

Rockhopper
    Free Member

How do you propose to possitivly identify it and prove that its yours if you don't have the frame number?

I photographed mu bikes from all different angles including pics of distinguishing marks as well as frame numbers etc then uploaded them to Photobucket so i have a permanemt record that i can access from anywhere with an internet connection.

ski
    Free Member

Uplink – You have one sharp Daughter there, has she got a job mapped out in CID?

my wife bought me it for my birthday from Halfords as a way to recuperate from illness

Well in that case, I hope you get it back as it obviously means a lot to you, good luck finding it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

How do you propose to possitivly identify it and prove that its yours if you don't have the frame number?

You've not read the thread properly, have you? 😉

grumm
    Free Member

Seriously, I don't see anyone who's riled up fella.

kick his ed in! then ride over him!

If you gently massage a bike thief with a baseball bat they are often amenable to returning "borrowed" items.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It's not locked. Ride off with your bike. It's yours.

Stoner
    Free Member

as Rockhoppper says, it makes life much easier if you can prove prior ownership.

Following a link from our friendly Bristol copper who posts on here, I spent a very useful half hour photographing all 8 of our bikes and uploading pictures, distinguishing character notes and frame numbers to this site:

http://www.immobilise.com/

I hope I never need to use it, but if the time comes that I do, Im going to be relieved it's there when I need it most. Id recommend you all do the same.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If its his bike, regardless of how the current "owner" came by it, its still been obtained illegally and therefore not his.
    I'd be there waiting armed with several f'off locks and then call the police when he turns up. Ideally if you have evidence of your previous ownership i.e. receipts, pictures etc bring them along too. Police more likely to believe you then.
    Don't take the law into your own hands, as the last thing you want to do is be done for assault or similar!
    Even now, if i saw a bike of mine that had been stolen, i'd be after it back.
    Some of the attitudes on here do take the biscuit though, oh let him have it, poor love. NO ITS F*CKING STOLEN.
    Im damn sure if you'd had a £2k bike nicked and you subsequently saw it in the street, you'd be all for taking it back, not thinking about the poor victim circumstances! Get real! Bloody liberal do gooders, makes my p!ss boil.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Grumm, have you had an irony bypass recently? 😉

I don't think they were serious you know……..

uplink
    Free Member

It's not locked. Ride off with your bike. It's yours

Exactly

grumm
    Free Member

I never said I wouldn't try and get it back if it was mine – I just wouldn't have posted a thread calling someone a bike thief who may have had **** all to do with it.

hilldodger
    Free Member

uplink – Member

Indeed, it's mine & I'll have it back

Don't you mean some of it's mine ??

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 220 total)

The topic ‘Photo of a bike thief?’ is closed to new replies.