Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Photo driving license
  • I thought that these we meant to last 10 years, just had a demand from DVLA to renew mine after just 3 years.
    What's going on?

langy
    Free Member

Isn't it that you can pay your fee for the number of years you choose, up to 10 years?

woody2000

it's 10 years unless you're over 70 or have a medical condition that limits the number of years you can hold a licence for. Or something.

There's an expiry date on the front – section 4b. What does that say?

Woody, it says 3 years after the issue date, 4 November 2009, I may be getting on a bit but bjesus nowhere near 70.

& they want £20 for the privilege. If I was a pessimist I would say just another way of getting more money out of us.

woody2000

Do you have a bus licence?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

yep, it's 10 years, you should phone DVLA. I've just recieved one aswell, but mine is 10 years old. However, it states clearly in the cover letter that it's every 10 years.

No, just cars & bikes

Just checked the wifes & her's expires after 4 years.
    When did photo jobbies first hit the streets, nowhere near 10 years ago

woody2000

Stumped then! Give 'em a call if you dare…..!

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'd call them. Still not bothered getting one myself, not sure why I'd bother paying for a new one when the old one is still valid and doesnt need renewing every X years.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Mines 4 years 'cos I'm diabetic. Doesn't cost me to renew though.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

What country do you live in?

Bottom of the Malvern Hills, just looking out of my office (shed) window straight along the south section ridge.
    Sod it, I'm off for a quickie round British Camp. Sure I'll feel happier then.

DickBarton

Mine is renewed every 3 years – due to Type 1 Diabetes

Pook

Teggs – When I passed I got a photo licence. That was over ten years ago.

Xan
    Free Member

Did you upgrade from a paper to a photo license. If so you might have only had 3 years left on that when you transfered it accross and will probably only honour what is on that. If you know what I mean lol

z1ppy

mine is up next year, and was a 10 year license, so your wrong about them "not being about for 10 years"

Xan
    Free Member

Photo have been about alot longer than 10 years. Been driving for 9.5 years and were about long before then.

1991 comes to mind.

uplink
    Free Member

Did you upgrade from a paper to a photo license. If so you might have only had 3 years left on that when you transfered it accross and will probably only honour what is on that. If you know what I mean lol

IIRC – the paper ones last until you're 70

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I upgraded from a paper to a photo licence 10 years ago on 03/11/99 according to the DVLA renewal letter I just got, which sounds about right. I made the swap almost as soon as the new photo licence came out, so I guess the photo licence started approx. 10 years ago!

Drac

There was some that for some reason I can't recall only had 5 years on them, we had a letter about it at work. Mine was for 10 years though when I sent it back to get the naughty boy marks taken off. Yup paper ones didn't expire until you were 70.

CountZero

I got mine when they were first being trialled, as my paper one was getting very tatty. It was for ten years, and I renewed it 08.11.08, so they've been around for nearly eleven years now.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Photo licences have been around for a while however when I passed my test in 1996 or 1997 it was still the old fashioned thick paper licence! Let's face it having picture bits TOO is just annoying! Only useful for people who don't have passports I guess.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Photo driving license’ is closed to new replies.