Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Phones. 4, 4S or Galaxy S2
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

I need a new phone. Needs to do email efficiently, web access and a few apps. Best battery life and as robust as possible (yes I know neither of those last 2 are smartphone strengths).

Whatever, it needs to “just work”. not interested in technology that you have to faff with.

Probably 80%+ of the people I work with are on iphones, but the Vodafone contracts I’m being offered are £5 a month more expensive than for Android. I can get a iphone 4 or a galaxy S2 free on a higher tariff. 4S is expensive any which way.

I have absolutely no preferences of Apple v Android, used an iphone a few times, never seen a galaxy outside of a phoneshop. practically, i think an iphone is the user friendly option, but i can’t get over the price hikes simply for an apple logo.

I’ve been putting this off for a while, but I need to make a decision sooner rather than later though!

Thoughts?

Thanks…

stanley

S2 here.
    Nice big screen makes everything easier.
    Have it in a very discrete (and cheap) surround thing that only makes it a bit bigger. Have dropped it a couple of times without causing any damage.
    Quick, good camera, huge storage. Happy here.

Battery last all day. A few days if I’m not messing about with it!

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Have a look at what Tesco Mobile (o2) and TalkMobile (Vodafone) are offering tariff wise. I just picked up a S2 on TalkMobile as it was a better tariff than going direct with Vodafone.

Also go via a cashback site such as Quidco, I got £80 cashback on my contract.

Jamie
    Free Member

Probably 80%+ of the people I work with are on iphones

If this is the case, be aware that with iOS5 all text messages sent to another iPhone turn to iMessages and are free….bit like BBM for Blackberrys.

Bottom line is, they will all do what you want and it will come down to personal preference.

Cougar

Sounds like the iPhone would be the best for you. Are you tied to Voda particularly?

SBrock
    Free Member

my HTC desire contract has just finished, yes i took the plunge and went for a 4s……… The phone ha blown me away, superb battery life compared to Android devices, the camera is brilliant… Siri… it does actually work you know, i find it brilliant for putting things on my calendar, Siri isn’t like any other voice recognition on Android – this really does work.

got mine through uswitch….. on Orange £36 pm unlimited texts, 600 mins, 500mb and NO upfront cost

jeffl

If you want something robust then have a look at the Motorola Defy+

Bimbler
    Free Member

For what you want I’d go for the one with the big screen, ie the S2. I’ve got a Desire (same screen size as iPhone, albeit nowhere near as good) and find myself suffering screen envy. Alternatively cheap phone and tablet computer?

Jamie
    Free Member

Siri… it does actually work you know,

Isn’t it (she?) still crippled when it comes to useful stuff, like asking directions to places?

SBrock
    Free Member

If this is the case, be aware that with iOS5 all text messages sent to another iPhone turn to iMessages and are free….bit like BBM for Blackberrys.

all my family have iOS devices, FaceTime, pic messaging is great as they live all over the world!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Not especially tied to vodafone, just been with them for the last 16 years and they’ve never tried screwing me over, so see no reason to change.

Should also say, I want an 18 month contract, absolute max. never had a handset last longer than a year yet. Most of them get broken and repaired 3 or 4 times over 18 months.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

HTC Explorer, a bit down on processing power but smaller, does all you specify and rubberised surround

benslow
    Free Member

I’ve dropped my S2 countless times and it just bounces – its tough.

brakes
    Free Member

iphone – no faff
    android (S2) – can faff if you want to

otherwise I’m not sure if there’s much to choose between the two apart from price and brand image.

personally, I moved from iPhone to Samsung Galaxy Nexus because of the bigger screen and thinner phone – I mostly use the phone for email, browsing and games rather than texting and phoning. even being a bigger phone it feels better in your pocket than the iphone.

battery life is ok, but you can get a bigger battery I think which makes the phone a bit thicker – not sure if it’s the same on the S2.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

+1 fot the Motorola Defy – it’ll be loads cheaper than any of the above and you can drop it down the toilet till your heart’s content.

Aus
    Free Member

Motorola Defy … my needs sounded similar to yours. Works as well as the iphone 4 I had for what I need (email, googling) and much better as a phone. Tough, much cheaper, and smaller body with same size screen.

IA

I’d say iPhone…but then it’s not a simple choice when it comes to cost. Selling an SGS2 btw if that’s your choice, unlocked, get a (much) cheaper contract for it?

sadmadalan

Just got a Desire S on Voda – compared to the costs of an iPhone a lot cheaper. May not be as desirable, but does phone calls, texts, email and far too many apps! The costs of iPhone usage seems to be very high compared to similar powered Android handsets and the functionality if almost identical.

(For the Apple faithful out there, Siri was not developed by Apple but was an app that was due to be released on Android and Blackberry as well. Apple bought it and give the impression that it is fundamental to an iPhone – when all it is some software running on iOS!)

andrewni
    Free Member

i’ve a 4s and my wife’s got the s2. i prefer the galaxy as its got a bigger screen but the iphone camera is slightly better. we worked out over the term of the contract hers will be almost £500 cheaper

andrewni
    Free Member

Siri was not developed by Apple

it was not developed by anyone with an irish accent either – siri cant understand me unless i adopt my best attempt at an english accent!

Kato

Just replaced my broken iPhone 4 with a 4S and it’s no different really. Did think about getting a Galaxy Nexus, but was really disappointed with the build quality for a phone that’s supposed to be an Iphone competitor

Plus, I got £250 for a 2 year old iPhone 4 that wasn’t working on eBay. Don’t think any Android retains it’s value like that

Jamie
    Free Member

Plus, I got £250 for a 2 year old iPhone 4 that wasn’t working on eBay. Don’t think any Android retains it’s value like that

Really? I am in the market for a 32GB iPhone 4*, so have been checking eBay. Working ones seem to be going for £300-330, so you have done pretty well to get £250 for a knackered one.

*So if anyone has one for sale, give me a shout 😉

footflaps

My 4S has much worse battery life than my 4 (even with the supposed SW fix), would go for a 4 over a 4S.

MrsToast
    Free Member

I’ve got a Galaxy S which is lovely. Fast, responsive, tough (looks spotless despite being 2nd hand from t’husband, and getting rolled around in my handbag or bike pannier), and can go over four days before needing a recharge.

T’husband has an S2, which is slightly better in most respects except battery life.

I know a few people with iPhones who are very happy with them. However, iPhones are regarded as being a bit fragile! 😛

donsimon
    Free Member

I have an S2 and do like it, a friend of mine who happens to be a Field Trials Supervisor for Samsung, that while raving about the S2 in pre sales tests has an iPhone for personal use. Go figure…

Kato

Really? I am in the market for a 32GB iPhone 4*, so have been checking eBay. Working ones seem to be going for £300-330, so you have done pretty well to get £250 for a knackered on

Yup, best offer within about an hour of the auction starting. Couldn’t believe it!

barrowman
    Free Member

iPhone by a million miles, firstly you can use it with one hand, unlike the nice but rather large S2, with it’s impressively large, but long-term restrictive screen. If you want a small tablet on the other hand…

Secondly Android is awful for upgrades, sure your phone may come with whatever now, but you’ll be lucky if you ever get the upgrades from Samsung or your vendor.

At least you’ll be getting upgrades for a few years, with Apple avg Android upgrade cycle is about a year (if you are lucky), and finally resale, you won’t get anything near the price that you’ll get for an old iPhone. Something to factor into the “iPhone is more expensive” equation.

Quality of apps, user experience, usability, economy and scale of accessories, build quality etc all aside, which all still strongly favour the iPhone over anything else.

trail_rat
    Free Member

two companys that seem to make phones that outlast contracts ….

apple and nokia (but only their E series)

every other phone ive had has died before the contracts up …

my iphone still looks like new at 18 months old , not a scratch on it – ive not treated it any different to my others , most of my phones are/were binned due to poor software and glitches rather than being faulty…remember simbian ? is that still going ? – 2 windows mobile phones that were garbage and crashed mid phone call – kept bills down though, the nokia 6600 still looked like new and the e61 i still use after 4 years for my works mobile.

so it depends what you want out your phone really …. and im a turncoat that was initially against mac/ipods as i hated the itunes concept and the copy write protection they put on at the time and loved the iriver kit of old but as times gone on i no longer want to “modify and upgrade” i just want the damn thing to work 100% of the time which my apple products just seem to do !

trail_rat
    Free Member

but i have 2 flaws with my iphone actually now i think about it …

the central control/home button – if i have it in my coverall leg pockets and bend down to pick something up – voice control is activated (not siri) and sometimes i can call folk but usually its audible before it gets to that stage – it makes a biddity beep sound before doing owt …. i just put it in other pockets.

and the ringers quite quiet even at full ….

jools182
    Free Member

I’m considering the same 2 phones at the moment, and would want a max 18 month contract

I can find some good deals on the S2, but nothing on the 4s

Cougar

iPhone by a million miles, firstly you can use it with one hand,

This is a feature that new iPhone users find especially useful.

(sorry, I couldn’t resist 🙂 )

brakes
    Free Member

iPhone by a million miles, firstly you can use it with one hand,

you need to trade your hands in for some man hands

barrowman
    Free Member

you need to trade your hands in for some man hands

😀

Why the iPhone screen is the size it is…

S2= knocked off OS on a knocked-off phone. 👿

transporter13
    Free Member

4s user here

First apple product I’ve ever touched, let alone buy
    Coming from using nokias or Sony ericssons I decided I wanted a good phone when I renewed in October.

Had a play with every phone over the course of a month before hand and when it was released, I tried the 4s and it beat everything else hands down. It just works!
    The s2 screen is too colour saturated for me
    The iPhone screen is the most responsive
    Replying to texts etc whilst on the move helps a lot for me. I drive for a living and there’s no need to look at the phone to read texts etc as Siri does it for me
    I really DON’T like the fact that I can’t save iplayer programmes to my phone to watch away from home though
    I must say though, i can probably count on one hand the amount of times I’ve used my laptop since October because the phone does everything I need
    Overall, I’d say it’s worth it for the extra 5’er a month

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Phones. 4, 4S or Galaxy S2’ is closed to new replies.