Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • phone rooting?
  • turbo1397
    Free Member

Just wondering if anyone has rooted there android phone and if they did it themselves or got it done? Needing to route my s3 as I need to get use of an app and can’t at the moment.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have rooted in the past, but since getting a decent phone (Nexus 4) found that it’s better not to.

For example most banking apps wont run on a rooted phone for security reasons.

Read plenty of rooting guides on the android forums specific to the mode you are using and the phone you are rooting before having a bash at it.
    It’s not that scary, just read lots of other peoples trials and failures first.

clubber
    Free Member

I did it myself. I did have some problems but solved them in the end. I wouldn’t suggest doing it if you’re not reasonably techy or have access to someone who is because I initially bricked mine…

That said, the S3 is more popular than my phone (S3 mini) which may mean that there are better rooting tools and guides out there than I had.

The Natwest and Smile apps work fine on it FWIW.

What’s the app you want to use BTW?

turbo1397
    Free Member

I dont think I could do it myself as im not that techy minded.. the app I want to use is called ‘carhome ultra’. I want to use it with my pioneer avh-8500 media receiver in my car. But as it stands I cant get full functionality of the phone..

clubber
    Free Member

Had a quick look at that app and it doesn’t mention needing root access. What functionality is it you’re after? Most of what I saw the could be done with other apps anyway.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Rooted my old HTC desire and have it an amazing new zest when it got infuriating on froyo and was only a few months from contract end so not to worried about failure. Took a while to do the reading and get my head around it. worth it though.
    Rooted my n4 just because I was bored one evening. Then unrooted it a few months later as I was happy on the stock ROM.

Get on xda developers. Go to the s3 forum. A popular and powerful phone line that will have loads of devs playing. There will probably be ‘one click root tools’….. these can be bad to the untrained though as it’s easy to not understand and do something silly.

turbo1397
    Free Member

@clubber.. yeh it doesnt mention needing to root, ive got the pioneer app radio but not as useful.. carhome ultra has got all the functions i want to use. Basically mirrors your phone and all the functionality. A lot of the new h/units coming out today are boasting a function called ‘mirrorlink’, its bluetooth orienteted but its having teething problems. Ive hardwired my phone into the h/unit using an mhl cable and hdmi. but unfortunately my s3 needs rooted..:(

Cougar

Look for the guide on androidforums.com

Read carefully, take your time. Back up what you can first. And, no offence intended, but watch your typing if there’s any command line stuff.

It’s usually quite difficult to permanently brick an android device. You’d have to do something it specifically states “WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT DO THIS” in foot high letters of fire.

epicyclo

Having spent 30 years in Oz, the title to this thread was an irresistible draw. 🙂

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I rooted my Galaxy Note. Followed some instructions on an android forum and had no problems. If you root, I can recommend SDMaid as one of the most useful apps out there

fd3chris
    Free Member

You will end up using a program called Odin to root the phone and the associated files for your handset. It is quite simple and will take you less than half an hour.

crankboy
    Free Member

Crankygirl rooted for me. An HTC phone no issues and seems to have cleared some glitches that had developed with the stock.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info.. ive had a look at a few sites for info but i think its a bit above my tech know how- will have to try and find someone who can root it for me.. 😕

neilnevill
    Free Member

turbo1397
    Free Member

yeh.. the guys over at xda developers pointed me in the direction of this. looks fairly easy following that!

neilnevill
    Free Member

Not surprised, I found it as the only link in the ‘root’ section of the s3 forum on xda!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘phone rooting?’ is closed to new replies.