Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Phone number porting – how long does it take?
  • phiiiiil

After putting my last phone through the washine machine (oops!) I sorted out a new one at the weekend, and the number ported to the new operator yesterday lunchtime-ish.

Now I can use data and make calls, but incoming calls just say “Number not recognised” and I can’t send or receive texts! It all makes it a bit pointless having a phone I can’t be contacted on…

Does it normally take a while with things moving over gradually? Or is it meant to just instantly all work and it’s all gone hideously wrong?

Alex

hmm sounds like you have a partial port where the number hasn’t come over. Porting is actually done by a clearing house between carriers, and it should take a max of 24 hours. I assume you’ve tried turning the phone on and off a few times?

stu_d
    Free Member

The way porting works at the moment is that for a given number range,the call is always routed to the same operator. When a customer port out, incoming calls have to be routed to the new operator. But give your new operator a call and they will do the chasing.

phiiiiil

Problem solved! Mid afternoon today it went mental with text messages from the new network and all is right again. No idea why it took so long, but it sorted itself out eventually!

Thanks all

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Phone number porting – how long does it take?’ is closed to new replies.