Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Phone insurance?
  • z1ppy

Nope my bank account doesn’t offer it, and I don’t really want to change thanks..
    Thinking of a brand new phone but the accident cover isn’t cheap and the excess add’s up.
    Can anyone recommend anything? (especially if you’ve had to ‘successful’ claim)

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Are you on contract? Call mobile company? Add to contents insurance.

Cougar

Insure it yourself. Transfer £20 into another account via Direct Debit every month. By the time your contract is up you’ll be £500 in pocket if you’ve not made a claim.

Cougar

And,

Realistically, how likely are you to actually break it?

Do what everyone else does: take your lovely new fondleslab, designed by brilliant minds with years of experience, hewn from sapphire glass and aircraft-grade aluminium with unobtanium highlights polished with unicorn semen, and shove it in a five quid plastic Hello Kitty case off a market stall.

I’ve carried at least one mobile phone since 1999 and I don’t remember ever losing one to breakage (thought they’ve packed in sometimes, sure).

z1ppy

Insure it yourself

Maybe the best option, as for how realistically am I to break it… I’ve never actually broken a phone but have only ever bought one brand new (no contracts Frank) so have a pretty irreverent attitude towards them (aways keep my phone in my cycling shorts when riding). Keep thinking it would be sensible to insure a brand new one

gonzy
    Free Member

obviously youve not met my wife….she had a sony ericsson on contract. she didnt want insurance then ended up breaking the screen…it was a £40 repair to get a new one fitted…she then broke it at least 7 more times!! she then dropped it in the water at blackpool beach…but the contract had expired by that time and the phone was beyond repair due to the water damage
    i got her a samsung galaxy s4 on contract but insisted she got it insured…she broke the screen on that after about 6 months, EE charged her £26 excess for a new one, which she also broke a month later….another £25 down….then about 5 months later she dropped that one into a pan full of oil…but it didnt die straight away…it took another 3 months to die so bang went another £25
    now i’ve upgraded her to a samsung s6…7 months on and so far and its still in one piece

nealglover
    Free Member

I’m very likely to jinx it now, but I’ve carried a mobile phone every day since the early/mid 90’s and never broken one.
    I’ve also, thankfully, never insured one.

I’ve worked on building sites and various other jobs that are “tough” on phones.

I’ve also never really used a case (I’ve had a couple but binned them pretty quick)
    I just put it in my trouser pocket and get on with it.

My other half however, has smashed two iPhones in the last two months. She is insured.

depends if you are like me or her 🙂

z1ppy

gonzy, who provided the insurance? They sound keen..

gonzy
    Free Member

she is insured directly by EE. she’s been with them for over 12 years so she gets a bit of a deal, though the then value of the s6 they’ve increased it to about £10 per month…which considering how often she breaks her phones is pretty good
    im on O2 but their insurance cover is a bit pants (there are limits to the number of claims and the excess goes up after each claim) so i’m insured via carphone warehouse…i’ve been insured with them for over 6 years and have managed to get a good deal on the cover for my S6

i dont mind paying for the insurance as it gives me the peace of mind…and it would be sods law that i lose/break my phone the minute i stop insuring it

stevied
    Free Member

I added our mobiles onto the house insurance, cost about £3 extra on the policy/year.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Judging by the number of people I see with iPhones that have shattered screens, the majority of people cant afford insurance / repairs and just put up with it until their contract expires.
    It would drive me mad.

z1ppy

Bigyinn, that why I kinda think I should get some insurance (though I could afford a new screen.. I don’t live in a credit bubble)

bigyinn
    Free Member

protectyourbubble might be worth looking at.
    I broke the screen on my MotoG, replacement screen £23 and fitted by me. Cheaper than an insurance premium.

dannybgoode

I lost a phone for the first time in 22 years the other day and stupidly hadn’t added to cover.

Cost me £240 to sort out.

Easy enough to say insure it yourself but what happens if something happens after a couple of months?

mattyfez

Just look after it properly, yes accidents happen, but it seems to me most people treat expensive mobiles like nokia3310’s, not the sophisticated hand held PC’s that they actually are.

bensales
    Free Member

Accidental damage away from home cover on your house insurance. No reason why a mobile should be any different to anything else you own.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve never had insurance nor felt the need. Only time it would’ve been handy was when I accidentally bought a Sony Xperia with their crack-tastic screens. Inevitably the screen broke but I decided to get rid of the phone and everything has been fine since, touch wood.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Phone insurance?’ is closed to new replies.