Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Phone GPS logging rides in Europe what do I need? (phone smarter than me)
  • ChrisE
    Free Member

First of all I know nothing about the subject below, please treat me gently!

I want to buy a phone that will log my position (by GPS), the only phone I have now is a work-phone so this will be a foray into the new world of paying for it. I want it to send my position to a website so that friends and family can view the site and see where I am. In the UK I will probably only use it for a small amount of browsing and reading a reasonable amount of emails. The main use will be for 3-4 weeks per year while on holiday in mainland Europe (mainly France/Italy/Germany) where there will be a small amount of calling but still the emails and most importantly the tracking-website thing.

What phone do I want, on what setup and is the GPS logging thing while in Europe going to cost me loads (in data charges)

Ta
    Chris

TheFlyingOx

The GPS bit won’t cost you, but I imagine that the data roaming will be a small fortune. Why not carry on with your work phone and buy a dedicated GPS bike computer?

ChrisE
    Free Member

I can’t take my work phone on hol otherwise I will be harrassed daily! Also I’m guessing a smart phone will be needed to send the live-GPS-data to the web. I have looked at phone website but think I’m too old!

help would be appreciated

C

motivforz
    Free Member

Android will do this.
    Google maps on my HTC Desire has a function called ‘latitude’. If you and somebody have a googlemail account, and you decide to share your information with them (you have to send them an invite/they have to ask permission), then they are able to view your position in google maps.
    Fairly simple to do, doesn’t require instructions, and google guides you through how to set it up.
    There may be other ways of doing what you want, but I’ve tried latitude and it works well. Only thing it lacks as far as i know is a recording ability, i.e. trace your route etc, it just shows current (or last known) position. Other apps can track your routes etc, I use one (cardiotrainer) for logging my mtb routes/runs etc, then checking them out on maps at a later date.

As is mentioned above, GPS doesn’t cost, its the connection and uploading of data on foreign networks.

motivforz
    Free Member

Just looked it up and google latitude would appear to record a ‘history’ if you ask it to, not sure if it tracks your routes exactly, but it will record where you have been, maybe just key locations etc.

TheFlyingOx

Any phone powered by Android will do what you’re after. There are loads of apps in the Android Market that do GPS logging, ride maps, all that jazz. I currently use MapMyRide, but Google’s own MyTracks is also very handy. MapMyRide links to facebook so I think you can be tracked live on that or maybe on the MapMyRide website? MyTracks just logs your position & speed by GPS and gives you a rundown of everything but no live tracking.

As far as the actual phone goes, your best bet would be to go and have a word in Carphone Whorehouse and see which network & tariff will be cheapest for you while abroad.

I’m currently on a Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 on O2. Initially thought it was a bit rubbish due to naff support from SE and O2, but I’m now running a homebrew (non-SE/O2) version of Android and it’s phenomenal. Bit old now though, and the new Sony Ericsson Play (Playstation phone) is due out soon.

ChrisE
    Free Member

I saw someone do it a few years ago (but that was a GPS linked to an ‘old’ phone) He gave his mates (us) a web address and we could log on and see his postion, his trail over the last days, his speed, altitude etc. I think the GPS recorded and the phone sent the data every hour (probably 60 waypoints per hour) as a text to the website. If not it was ‘magic’!! The website plotted it on Googlemaps or Google-earth or something.

I guess that would be the cost of 24 texts per day?

C

flamejob
    Free Member

if you know where you are going to be then an iphone and the MotionX GPS app (£2) will do the trick. i would recommend, however, that you buy an extra external battery and keep it plugged in, cause it drains power like a mo-fo. i am amazed how well it works, and you don’t have to pay for roaming charges because you can download the maps when you are in wifi areas.

bassspine
    Free Member

Alpinequest. Use the map creator to make off-line maps for where you are anywhere in the world. That on any android phone and Robert’s your mother’s brother

clubber
    Free Member

Everytrail pro will also allow download of open source maps so you can use it abroad free. Available on iPhone and android.

ChrisE
    Free Member

It’s not the putting maps on the phone that I need, it’s sending my position, speed, altitude etc to a website in real-time so that others can see it,

C

Drac
    ChrisE
    Free Member

Drac, that looks like the kind of thing. Do you know how much data usage (cost) it generates?

C

Drac

Do you know how much data usage (cost) it generates?

I don’t know as never used it abroad, can’t be much as it’s just txt based so probably a few kilobytes. I was up in the hills today and even with a non 3G connection it could send the details easily.

colinmac
    Free Member

I’m going to say that Runkeeper Live can do this too… http://Www.runkeeper.com although the live component has a cost but it does exactly what you need.

I run it on an iPhone but there is an Android version too.

IA

You can turn on live tracking with sports tracker on symbian too – potentially a cheap option, as symbian phones with GPS start about £70. Replaceable batteries too, which is handy if it’s running all day.

Orange san francisco (android) also worth a look.

As others say, data costs are the thing. But get a sim free phone (the OSF is easily unlocked for free, sim free cheap nokias are, well, cheap) and use a local sim with cheaper data.

cookeaa

my symbian nokia with sportstracker does the job saves gps data to the phone, you can choose your own map source web, phone or none at all in which case I think it will simply log without any need for data uploads or downloads… you can export to many file formats too so overlaying the trip on google maps when you get home is possible.. it’s a supprisingly powerful tool. doqnloaded endomondeo too but never used it as sports tracker has been really good. phone was free with £20 contract so pretty much a bargain.

colinmac
    Free Member

RunKeeper LIVE allows you to stream your GPS tracked activities on RunKeeper.com, allowing others the ability to watch how you’re doing in real-time. Whether you’re running a race, or just out for a morning run, your friends and loved ones will be able to see where you are and know how you’re doing the entire time, giving them peace of mind or the ability to cheer you on from anywhere in the world.

Sounds like exactly what you asked for. So an iPhone or any android phone. You could be clever and use local country PAYG sims or just use a provider from here with the most competitive roaming charges…

ChrisE
    Free Member

Ta

spooky_b329

Saw on the news recently, you can get smartphones with two sim slots so you can have a UK sim and a foreign sim for cheap data. Problem is, they don’t sell them in the UK as the operators prefer to keep you. Could be worth researching where they are available and possibly buying one towards the start of your trip.

Someone has already mentioned, GPS is a real drain and unless you have regular charging opportunities you are going to struggle with battery life.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Phone GPS logging rides in Europe what do I need? (phone smarter than me)’ is closed to new replies.