Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Phobia – how to deal with one?
  • cinnamon_girl

OK, feel very ashamed to admit this but am having a bit of a problem that has become a phobia. I am determined to deal with it but how?

Any suggestions/links would be gratefully received.

Thank you so much!

jedi

whats the phobia

tails
    Free Member

just touch it to start with, you can put it in your mouth later 😉

cinnamon_girl

I feel very silly and ashamed so, Tony, can I not say?

tails – that's enough from you!

Smee
    Free Member

Confront it head on…

nonk
    Free Member

you have to get amongst it in my view.
    what ever it is face it like a woman.

or this aproach may scar you for life. 😕

cinnamon_girl

I've tried and it has resulted in a very high heart rate and pretty much a panic attack.

BlackDog
    Free Member

Take it slowly, think about it, look at it, touch it. Depends what it is though. But don' listen to anyone who says 'rationalise it' – its not that simple.

KT1973
    Free Member

tails – Member
    just touch it to start with, you can put it in your mouth later

Surely she's not gonna eat a spider

neilnevill
    Free Member

Surely the first step is being able to talk about it?

grantway
    Free Member

Hypnosis

taka
    Free Member

im terrified of needles i can touch and mess with them all i want i can even prick my skin but the minute some fker comes towards me trying to give me an injection or blood sample i panic and go mad i went to go see a shrink although they got it in their heads i couldnt go in the same room as a needle? im also shit scared of big spiders and snakes

walla24
    Free Member

[edit] n/a to claustrophobia [/edit]

sharki
    Free Member

What have you got to gain by doing it? peer pressure, pride, personal gratification…

Is it really that important?

If it's bike related ask Jedi.
    If it's man related ask Aleigh.
    If it's shortcake related ask Anna.
    If it's putting things in tight places ask Oldfart(ex postie)

cinnamon_girl

OK, it's claustrophobia and has happened in dense woodland when I've been on my own, which is frequently. Also I had occasion to be in a high security building and that was really bad …

I've tried to MTFU and confront it, perhaps I need to try a bit harder? This is all new to me but the signs have been there for a while.

iDave
    Free Member

whats the worst that could happen
    how feasible is that worst case scenario
    if worst case scenario doesn't happen, how good will you feel

(it's not sfb is it?)

GJP
    Free Member

Exposure Therapy 😆

Seriously, if you are not aware of it already it may be worth a Google – rely's on a program of steadily escalating tasks or challenges.

bananaworld
    Free Member

I had a desperate fear of spiders (and creepy and crawly things) until a few years ago when I had to remove one with my bare hands in order to be 'gallant'.

It was terrifying but 'cured' it: I can now handle them like hamsters.

Perhaps exposure is the way…?

sharki
    Free Member

surround yourself in mirrors, it will give the illusion of being in a bigger space.

Ok this may prove fun on a bike..

HTH

tails
    Free Member

I'm fairly scared of flying especially when it stops taxiing and the engines go on. i just swear alot until the plane is level.

And check safety records 😳

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Professional help. Usually desensitisation is the way forward IIRC – but this is not my area of expertese.

So if yoiu are scared of spiders go into a room with one in – until you feel comfy – then go close to it, then touch it, then hold it At each stage you become desensitised to the spider

scaredypants

CG – everyone know that phobias are irrational, and therefore stupid by definition. yours is no dafter than anyone elses I imagine.

(in the end, I'd go for confronting it as near to head on as I could – but then I'm neither phobic nor qualified to advise)

have to say, though, good effort from tails 😀

bonj
    Free Member

sorry but there are only three valid phobias: closed spaces, open spaces, and spiders. There is too much of a proliferation of people using the terms "phobia" and "allergy" when what they actually mean is that they just don't like something, but to the point that they can't stand it, so they feel the need to use a stronger term.

ahem, sorry. 😉 only joking – rant over. go on, tell us what the phobia is of.

bananaworld
    Free Member

Ah, just seen your new posting: claustrophobia is one of my two remaining phobias. I live in mortal fear of being wrapped up in a carpet and thrown in the river… I sometimes start to panic when a jumper won't come off quickly enough!!!

I really wish I could advise some way for you to get over this…

cinnamon_girl

I have actually stopped riding in certain places but now have a problem with a particular area in Swinley. I feel so stupid.

tails
    Free Member

OK, it's claustrophobia and has happened in dense woodland when I've been on my own, which is frequently.

Scared of the woods haha! so am i a bit, but you gotta remember swinley ain't no blair witch project and trees are nice.

nonk
    Free Member

i would look for a support group for that (group hug)
    honestly though i would. i reckon there would be many ways to resolve it.
    depending on who you are.

tails
    Free Member

i got an idea might be sh*t but, how about trying to identify the flora and forna (trees to me and you) in this area of swinley thus taking your mind off the area.

nonk
    Free Member

loads of folk get that jumper thing banana.

neilnevill
    Free Member

unless it's really good single track avoid that area and forget it?

Seriously, are you wanting to tackle this phobia as it restricts you from doing stuf you want/need to do, or is it a @This is stupid, I must tackle it' feeling?

GJP
    Free Member

CG – Exposure Therapy sounds like a reasonable approach.

Basic idea would be to cycle into the woods, not too far into the dense woodland but far enough so that the panicky feelings start. Then, stop, get off your bike, and just let the feelings wash through you until they subside, then cycle back out though the woods. Keep repeating going further and further into the woods each time.

I think that is the basic idea and I believe the key is not removing yourself from the "phobic context" until the anxiety has subsided.

Karinofnine

Hi C_G. I've just started reading Dr David Burns' The Feeling Good Handbook. It covers phobias, along with a host of other 'difficulties'. I got it from Amazon, not very expensive. Maybe worth a try?

sharki
    Free Member

So you don't fancy a haloween ride then CG, deep dark woods, rustling leaves, ghostly stories and if that's not enough, i'll be there.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

C_G ygm

bonj
    Free Member

Apologies if this sounds a bit facetious but what would be the effect if you always carried a photo of an open space with you when you went into the woods and looked at it whenever you felt a bit claustrophobic.
    I'm not saying it will help but maybe why it wouldn't help would help explain to people who have no concept of what it's like to understand the condition.

I sometimes start to panic when a jumper won't come off quickly enough!!!

always start by holding it at the bottom not at the neck. it may end up inside out but it's a lot easier and quicker.

cinnamon_girl

Lots of replies, thank you. I don't want to run away from this, those who know me understand that I'm pretty strong-willed, so it has to be dealt with.

It may well be worth me actually walking these woodlands rather than riding, more chance of observing the "exits". Stupid thing is that I invariably have a map and gps with me but seem to lose all sense of logic.

As regards buildings, hmm a difficult one.

Karin – I will check out that link, thank you.

sharki – don't do night riding, sorry!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What grantway said – hypnosis.

Or to be more precise, relaxation and visualisation exercises. Go to a hypnotherapist and also get appropriate relaxation CDs. I reckon that it should be a piece of cake to overcome with the correct relaxation techniques. IMHO

Russell96

Take some pruning shears/trail saw out with you and cut back a bit of the denser stuff, prove who's boss.

bananaworld
    Free Member

The Labyrinth, by any chance? That place gives me the willies a bit. Whenever I've stopped in there (usually lost…) it's been…

Well, to be honest I'm not sure walking in there would be my idea of a good time – I prefer to get out as quickly as possible!

Having said that, it's certainly worth a look whilst the snow is lying around – it makes even the darkest woods so much brighter.

sharki
    Free Member

I can see the labyrinth could be seen as little closed in, but also seems a popular place so you'd never be alone in there.

FWIW, twas the only bit of the forest that really put a smile on my face, o other than the good company.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Phobia – how to deal with one?’ is closed to new replies.