Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Phillips Park Prestwich
  • strawman
    Free Member

Great ride out to Phillips Park from Heywood, about 7 miles there, 2 hours playing out on the purpose built loops, and of course another 7 miles back. Got a right sore arse as I’m just getting back into It after a break of 8 years when what I mostly did was smoke too much herb n’stuff. Glad that’s over, much happier being out on bike riding the post ride serotonin buzz.

wynne
    Free Member

Good stuff. Keep at it.
    I went there a few months back. It’s a real gem and shows what great things can be done within a relatively confined space with a bit of imagination and a willing local council.

ulysse
    Free Member

I’m doing Phillips park fairly regularly to waste an hour when I can’t be bothered driving over to Lee Quarry, some good off piste and it’s a nice ride down in to town by the banks of the Irwell

strawman
    Free Member

It was great to be playing out again.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

you should enter Hit the North then. it’s a race, but not really a race, in/around Phillips Park. just a good laugh mostly.

binners

Look out for the regular monday Night Pub Rides from there too

Harry_the_Spider

I went there a few months back. It’s a real gem and shows what great things can be done within a relatively confined space with a bit of imagination and a willing local council.

The council have effectively washed their hands of it. They got funding to build it back in 2012 but have nothing to maintain it. A local private business are meant to be taking over maintenance but in the last 4 years I haven’t seen any evidence of work.

Given the opportunity I suspect than Bury Council would gladly plough it back into the land.

tthew

you should enter Hit the North then. it’s a race, but not really a race, in/around Phillips Park. just a good laugh mostly.

That is a good call, but you’ll need to be quick. Jason put a message on Facebook that entries are closing today, and you can’t get in on the day.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thats a great image binners 😀

Harry_the_Spider

Shame he spent it wrong. Only 1xL 😀

2xL is the one by the velodrome.

RustySpanner

That’s where my cycling clothes must come from.
    They’ve all got 2XL on the label.

Harry_the_Spider

Rusty! Glad you popped up. I’ve sent you a mail.

RustySpanner

Cheers Andy.

Will get back to you as soon as I’ve heard from ‘er indoors.

Might have one working knee between us.
    🙂

johnw1984
    Free Member

Known about it for ages, but only recently had a look. Love the place!

It’s only 25 minutes away in the car and my missus helped organise a Women’s beginner skills day there last week.

It was a really good day and I got to borrow a fat bike 🙂

gonzy
    Free Member

The council have effectively washed their hands of it. They got funding to build it back in 2012 but have nothing to maintain it. A local private business are meant to be taking over maintenance but in the last 4 years I haven’t seen any evidence of work.

Given the opportunity I suspect than Bury Council would gladly plough it back into the land.

so very often the case when private companies are brought in to do work for them by local authorities…they either overcharge or dont do the job/properly

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve heard whisperings that council funding isn’t far off for new trails and fresh maintenance. I think there are improvements on the way.

ulysse
    Free Member

Aint they both spelt with 1 “L”?

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve heard whisperings that council funding isn’t far off for new trails and fresh maintenance. I think there are improvements on the way.

I hope that you are right, but my dealings with the parks department would suggest that they haven’t got a pot to piss in.

johnw1984
    Free Member

I hope it all comes together too Harry, it’s a little gem of a place. With a little money and work, it could be really good.

Harry_the_Spider

If you are thinking that the money is coming from a private firm currently linked with the place I wouldn’t hold your breath.

strawman
    Free Member

That’s a great idea, Hit the North. If I’m available I’ll have that and get onto it pronto. Like the poster too, whether it’s 2 l’s or 1

strawman
    Free Member

Aaaaagh! I’m at a Christening on the 25th. Next year definitely. I’m going again next Tuesday if I have been a good boy and done all my chores though.

craig24
    Free Member

Whatever happened to the plans for the shop / cafe? I notice the signs on the building each time I ride up heart rate hill.

Harry_the_Spider

There’s no public money and there’s no private money.

Who would want to invest in a park that has minimal maintenance and hasn’t even got a toilet? That is my local park. We don’t go with the kids incase they need the loo.

Visitor numbers are miniscule and when I go on my bike I don’t feel the urge to buy a brew and a bun.

IIRC there isn’t a single park in Bury with a functioning toilet. We take our kids to parks in Manchester or Rochdale (although I understand that the café and toilets at Queen’s Park have no gone).

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Phillips Park Prestwich’ is closed to new replies.