Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • PF30 to something decent conversion options?
  • kermit
    Free Member

Evening all,

I’ve got a 2015 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Evo 650b. This has a PF30 BB. This, of course, is utterly loathsome!

I’m looking at replacing the BB for the third time in just under 900 miles, as the dreaded creaking has set in again! In comparison, the Shimano threaded BB on my Cove is up to 566 miles on this bike, and did God only knows how many on my old frame, all without complaint.

I understand that there is such a thing as a conversion which allows for the fitting of Octalink threaded BBs into a PF30 frame, but googling chucks up all sorts of differing options at widely different prices.

Any suggestions of what to go for? I’m assuming I can keep using the existing cranks? Assuming so, then budget of up to £100 or so for the conversion.

Poopscoop

Are the cranks 30mm spindle?

kermit
    Free Member

The Specialized specs say this –> “Custom SRAM S-1250, 7050 alloy arms, 10-speed AM double, PF30 spindle”.

Does that mean it’s 30mm?

sharkattack
    garage-dweller

Sharkattack +1 I have the reducer version that allows you to run a 24mm axle HT2 but if you don’t have the right nice Shimano crank lying around then you want the 30mm spindle one for the crank that came with the bike.

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Praxas works perfectly, not a single creak and never had to touch it.

sefton
    Free Member

also interested in this. new Specialized fuse PF30 only lasted about 100miles.

how do I get the cups and bearings out ? big hammer?

rone

I’m not getting any problems on about 4 bikes with pf30.

Put a Rotor, Hope or CK in.

Several thousands of miles on each.

They really aren’t that bad.

rone

Sorry, Praxis is great now I’ve read properly.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m looking for an adaptor to allow me to use threaded BBs and standard cranks.

Currently the silver FSA sleeve is top option, though I’m aware it may not want to come out again.

Anything else to consider?

Tracey

As above the Hope one although expensive works very well. However, corect me if im wrong, but the one above needs to be ordered with a S at the end of the code other wise you end up with too wide a bottom bracket for the cranks, like I did. We have only fitted these to our new frame builds, not had to replace a SRAM one yet and the oldest has been in four years

You also need a fitting tool

adsh
    Free Member

I used the sram reducer cups on my Whyte to allow me to fit a CK BSA BB.

First set started to move so cleaned, degrease and fitted second set which also started to creak and move.

I changed to a Wheels Manafacturing PF30 that threads in the middle. Very good and being ceramic spins forever.

The sram reducer cups may have worked better with Loctite but I don’t like using that in a carbon bb.

sefton
    Free Member
    davros

You need an unconventionally sized bb wrench for the wheels threaded unit. I found this out the hard way! But it’s easier to install than a standard press fit which you would either need to bodge or buy a tool for. Though making a press fit tool from a threaded rod is simple enough. Having used the wheels threaded and standard press fit I’d recommend either.

tool

kermit
    Free Member

Hmm…

The one I currently have creaking is a Wheels Manufacturing one which I’d payed extra for in the hope that it would get rid of the creaking!

I’m wondering now if I should take it back to the shop who fitted it before spending on something else? It really hasn’t done all that many miles at all.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I use Rotor on a couple bikes, thousands of miles and no creaking.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘PF30 to something decent conversion options?’ is closed to new replies.