Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Petzl headtorch maybe knackered- what's good?
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

I’ve got a Petzl Myo XP which has started playing up- flickers when you turn it on and almost instantly the red battery warning light shows, even with brand new batteries.
    There was a little bit of white-ish gunk in the battery compartment, I’ve cleaned it out with vinegar and now it looks spotless but hasn’t made a difference. So 2 questions:
    Is it knackered?
    If it is what would be a good replacement? This is my second Myo XP and now I’d be a little wary of getting another.

tomd
    Free Member

I tell you what to avoid – black diamond. I got one last month and unfortunately it came in a nice box so I (foolishly) didn’t handle it before buying. It is a plasticy, overpriced piece of junk. Absolutely no sealing of any kind, at all. It oozes all the quality you’d expect from the head torches you get in a motorway services for £3.99 with a tank of fuel. Awful.

This:

http://www.nevisport.com/pr/8097/cosmo-headtorch

There is a full range of them with different lumen outputs, all crap in their own way.

I wish I’d just planned a bit ahead and got an Alpkit one.

Spin
    Free Member

Most Myos fail because where the wire enters the light unit is not reinforced in any way so the constant flexing eventually creates a loose connection. I’m on no3 as a warranty replacement and have retired it to casual use.

Alpkit vipers are excellent.

tomd
    Free Member

Edit: I have a 12 year old black diamond head torch from the early days of LED torches and it lacks a bit of power but is very well made and sealed. They have gone downhill massively.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Most Myos fail because where the wire enters the light unit is not reinforced in any way so the constant flexing eventually creates a loose connection.

I think that’s what did for my first one but different symptoms for this one. It’s over 5 years old I think so little hope of warranty I expect.

I was looking at Alpkit but the lantern I got from them got a crack in the plastic pretty quickly, which makes me think twice a bit.

Oh and I’d also ideally get something that takes AAs rather than AAAs because that’s what other stuff uses.

Cougar

I’m a fan of Led Lenser myself. Superb after-sales support too, they replaced a faulty one that was a few years old with a brand new top-of-the-range unit, no questions asked. Didn’t even need proof of purchase.

irc

Happy with the Alpkit Viper at £14.

Central Cree bulb has 3 brightness setting and flashing. Claims 100 lumen. Plenty bright for night walking anyway.

A long press switches to the two small outer outer bulbs for dim close up work in tents or bothys.

Can’t see the need for anything more expensive for walking. Cycling or running at night? Maybe go brighter.

Viper

BadlyWiredDog

Depends a little on what you’re using it for. I like the Silva Ninox 2, which is compact, bright enough for anything short of off-road running on rough stuff and is proper waterproof rated to IPX7, though the battery box is a bit fiddly.

I once had a chat with Leo Houlding, Berghaus sponsored climber about headtorches, and his take was that they’re so unreliable generally that he takes three or four with him on big trips simply because he knows they’re going to crap out on him at some point.

Alpkit hard to beat for a budget buy.

jools182
    Free Member

Oh dear

I just bought a Black Diamond after looking at online reviews

this one

molgrips
    Free Member

Started a thread yesterday about my bargain bin Chinese bike light. Comes with a headtorch strap and might be the best light available for £20. Needs a spibelt for carrying a battery tho.

tomd
    Free Member

Jools – if it were me I’d send it back and get an Alpkit one.

Cougar

Got a link for that, Mr Grips?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Just ordered an Alpkit Viper. Cheers all!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Alpkit Viper arrived today. First impressions are good- feels solid, looks bright enough (shining it round the flat, anyway.) Little bit agricultural-looking compared to my old Petzl, but then it’s about £50 cheaper, and that was a few years ago!

CHB

Fenix is my first choice for LED torches.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Bit late but a lot sea anglers I know are using Led Lensers of varying types, & they get some proper abuse. On & off all the time & soaked in sea water & stinking bait. I use a Petzl Tikka which I have no need to replace yet, not blindingly bright but ok for stationary use.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Petzl headtorch maybe knackered- what's good?’ is closed to new replies.