Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Petrolhead advise
  • Clong
    Free Member

Okay, another new car thread….

So, been looking to purchase new car to accomodate the expanding family and looked at the obvious choices of MPV, touran, Smax etc. I have resevations about vw, last 2 ive had gave me problems (94 golf, rust and developed a majopr vibration at 40-50mph. Lupo failed emissions 2 years in a row, unidentified fault). The S-max seem to expensive, £12k seems to get 06/07 car with 50k miles, titanium spec and there are not without their problems. Started looking at estates and they all appear much of a muchness.

However, came across a curve ball, Pug 308SW 1.6 HDI. Basically, 12 months old, 9k on the clock. £11,000. It comes with a lot of bells and whistles, the interior is well finished, certainly a big improvement over pugs ive had in the past. Quality and feel of the materials seems to be up there with the VW of the world. Not overly fussed with depreciation, it would appear to have lost a lost of value as it is. Talked to the dealer about why it going for 2k less than list and he stated that they bought the car 3 months ago and it just hasnt sold. They are pricing it to sell quickly, which seems genuine enough, I’m fairly car savvy to spot an obvious dog.

Driving wise, it just need to get me to where i want to go, cheaply & conmfortably. At a combined av of 58 mpg and its very comfy inside, it ticks those boxes too. The luggage space is a good size, it will take my bike, wheels off, in the boot without folding the seats down.

I’m slighty hesitant due to pug reputation, which is odd since the 2 ive had in the past didn’t given me much grief at all. So any thoughts?

footflaps

Nothing wrong with modern Peugeots – they are as reliable as anyone else. Driven quite a few (as SO used to work for them) and really like their cars.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Driven a 207 with the same engine and it was fine, very economical.

I’d ignore all the stuff about reputation. Its mostly nonsense.

catsplums
    Free Member
    MrNutt
    Free Member

I wouldn’t ever have another pug, bloody leaky rattly things

trail_rat
    Free Member

peugeots i like – but would only ever buy base models without electronics ……

not just because of a fear of them but pug electronics are attrocious – even on new uns …. engines and bodywork are solid though

* peuguot driver here ;d

rkk01
    Free Member

The S-max seem to expensive, £12k

Is that a dealer price? – if so they are taking the proverbial…

Looked at swapping ours earlier in the year. Early 2007 model, delaers were selling for £10-12k, but offering £5-6k.

Now, I have no probs (well I do, but…) with a dealer putting a grand or two between trade and forecourt, but there is supposedly a shortage of 2nd hand S Maxes around. Dealers are pushing up used prices due to low supply, but are fleecing those who want to change their car.

Look privately?

bigbloke
    Free Member

I have a 307 1.6 HDi (90bhp) bought it as an ex motability car 3 years old, had it for nearly 2 faultless years, i like it , as good a build quality as most modern cars. Returns over 60 mpg (fuel comp reckons 68.8mpg), service costs ok and looks good in my opinion.

All cars seem to have their haters and you only usually here of the bad ones on forums. If it feels right to you and your happy go for it, you will be the owner not us.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Indeed the dodgy speaker cables in the front of my “top model” peugeot are quite annoying… Fortunately the engine still goes, the rest of the car still functions as normal and has done since “birth” 150K miles ago!

stumpy01

Other half has got a 58 plate 308 – the 1.6 petrol.

She has just had the catalytic converter (& exhaust) replaced under warranty as the original disintegrated internally.
    It has never felt ‘great’ so I suspect it’s been on the way out since she bought it (when it was about 14 months old).

It’s an OK car, but nothing great.
    The 1.6 petrol is a bit sluggish in a car of that size, but again it’s OK.
    Main gripe with it is the clutch, which does nothing for 90% of it’s travel and then only starts biting at the top. Smooth changes are a nightmare, especially seeing as I only drive it infrequently.

richmtb

Peugeot haven’t made a decent car since the 306. They really are the most bland souless euroboxes now.

If you want something inoffensive and reliable that is a bit better to drive try a Mondeo plenty of room in the back for the kids too.

Also the title of this thread is a bit of a non-sequitor considering 1.6L diesels are being discussed 🙂

barbus
    Free Member

I have the exact car you are considering, You get what you pay for. Its not a VW or Audi but then again you will fork out another 2+K for an alternative ‘quality’ brand.
    My one is good, Not great just good. If it was a bike I would hate it, but its not its just a car and quality is lower than function and price on my car list these days.

To summarise if your a car person don’t buy it, you will hate it after a while. If you want to get from A to B in comfort at minimum cost you really cant go wrong.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d ignore all the stuff about reputation. Its mostly nonsense.

Not really as the electrics are terrible. I’ve owned a 307 xsi for over 5 years and whilst it’s great fun to drive I wouldn’t go near another puegeot.

* Engine management light on constantly/cat fault/anti pollution fault – need checked and it’s not an issue, just annoying
    * cd/radio stops loading cd’s randomly then won’t work for months then starts working again for no reason.
    * flip in wing mirrors don’t like the cold.
    * outside temperature sensor gone crazy
    * poor starting in cold weather – starts but not firing on all four
    * comms pack (indicators) failed several times meaning indicator instead of self cancelling indicates the other way after a turn. (quite handy if on occasions.

Having said all that we’ve not had any major issues in the time we’ve owned it, no breakdowns and no big costs. I just wouldn’t buy another.

hora
    Free Member

Its got 2yrs warranty left so I don’t see why not. Dashlight-Bingo shouldn’t bother you too much..

Although 11k can buy you ALOT of any car.

uplink
    Free Member

I had a 2.0 HDi 307SW and liked it a lot, I wasn’t paying the bills though
    Turbo, ECU and some other pollution warning thing I can’t remember – massive costs to repair/replace

have you considered looking at a Toyota Corolla Verso?

Clobber
    Free Member

I had an s-max for a fortnight trip to France and thought it was fantastic, better than my previous 2010 avensis and my current 2011 insignia

Clong
    Free Member

Cheers fellas, all good info.

Interested to hear more or your experiences Barbus,when i had a poke around the 308 it seemed to be of similar build quality to my current car (Audi A2). I’m very sad to have replace the A2, with one child it was managable to use, but with two it will be a bit of a problem (certainly for what i use a car for anyway).

NorthernStar
    Free Member

11k for a Peugeot !!!!!! Are you insane? – when for 11k you could have:

Won’t depreciate anything like as much

Much better to drive than any Peugeot. Yes servicing is more expensive but in three years time the BMW will still be worth around 8k. That Peugeot on the other hand will be almost entirely worthless.

What’s more you will enjoy driving the BMW too and if you wanted 50mpg plus economy and bulletproof reliability then just opt for the 520D version.

Richmtb is correct, the 306 was a great car and Peugeot are still to better it 15 years on.

Trekster

What’s more you will enjoy driving the BMW too

Until it snows 🙄

Touran owner for 3yrs and 50k miles without any faults or problems.
    Son got rid of his Pug for all of the above reasons.

Clong
    Free Member

Boot is too small on the 5 series. Considered and dimissed, same as a Audi A6 avant.

Driving enjoyment is subjective, i tend to get in the car, listen to some tunes and get to where im going. I get my thrills from riding, not from driving.

Here what your saying trekster (i believe it was yourself that posted a pic of a bike in the boot of a touran, was it not?) but i lost a bit of confidence in VW after having a couple of them.

In three years time the peugeot will be worth around 7k, id have thought, based on the used prices of 3 year old cars at present. Not entirely worthless.

hora
    Free Member

Seat Altea?

Daffy

Much better to drive than any Peugeot. Yes servicing is more expensive but in three years time the BMW will still be worth around 8k. That Peugeot on the other hand will be almost entirely worthless.

That 5 series won’t be worth £8k when it’s 10 years old with 130k on the clock, look at the E39 530d, 2001 Tourings are selling for £3-5k

What’s more you will enjoy driving the BMW too and if you wanted 50mpg plus economy and bulletproof reliability then just opt for the 520D version.

Sorry to burst your bubble there, but 5 series tourings (especially diesels) are riddled with faults, not least of which, the SLS pump, turbo, fuel rail…all costing over £600 in parts alone. Older BMWs are expensive to run if you can’t maintain it yourself.

I know, I have two.

Richmtb is correct, the 306 was a great car and Peugeot are still to better it 15 years on.

I also own a 10 year old 306HDI, which cost £980 with less than 60k on the clock, which is faultless and returns 55+ mpg. 😉

parkesie
    Free Member

I like my little pug just picked it up last month a 7 year old 206sw 2.0hdi. Yes i fully expect random bits of trim to fall off maybe the odd electrical spazz fit but so far not so much as a squeak from it. Its got just about every electric gadget but rear windows and it all works.
    Down sized from a petrol civic estate that while excellent as a car for carying bikes just wasnt fun to drive. The 206 while not as much fun as the 205 i had years ago is still a giggle to drive even though its a diesel estate.

The 205 did just fall apart as i drove it still want another one tho 🙂

If buying a pug have a look for a slightly older low miller youl save a packet they do depreciate alot.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Does seem a bit hit and miss with the pugs, so many people suggest they’re aweful electrically, but I’ve never had (more then the speaker wiring) fault with mine or those I’ve worked on for friends/family. Very simple hardware with few things to go wrong, even electrically. My current diesel did stop working in -17C though, which was annoying…

timber

Friend of mine is a Peugeot lover and he got rid of a 307 or 308 with that engine after only a few months, considered it rubbish even by French standards and went back to a 206SW

If you just want 4 wheels an engine and some seats, get a kia or hyundai.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

{curveball} vauxhall zafira {/curveball} I love a quality motor, but it doesn’t make sense for a young family, just trash it & forget about worrying about it!

tomaso
    Free Member

Which reliability survey wouldn’t make you want to buy a Pug. A Honda, Mazda, Toyota or Hyundai or a Skoda is the where the safe money goes.

andyl
    Free Member

another 306 fan here. As I just said in another thread I got 55mpg this week going cross country from Bristol to the IoW (via Southampton ferry) and then motorway to London and back. Didn’t take it easy at all and quite the opposite when we missed a turning on the way back from the IoW and I got angry with the other halfs map reading.

51 plate 2.0 HDI with 120k.

Mums newer 307 needs fair bit to get through its mot each year. She regrets getting rid of her 306. The newer stuff should be better but I too wouldnt spend 11k on the pug as I would go for something a bit older but better. But that is me and I don’t buy newer cars for the ‘security’ of having something new. If I had the money maybe I would.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Petrolhead advise’ is closed to new replies.