Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Petrol station compressor for tubeless?
  • tomhughes46

Hey

Trying to get my non UST High Roller onto a Flow rim with yellow tape, with limited success. Think I need to use a compressor.

Has anyone managed to use Sainsbury's or similar. They have 'flat tyre' button, but suspect that the pressure is too low to seat them?

Cheers

Tom

scaredypants

are you using watery washing-up liquid and have the valve core out ?

if not, do so beofre trying sainsbury's
    If so, the seating pressure is lower when suitably lubricated with fairy & you should do OK if "flat tyre" is constant flow (it's flow rate that matters really; you just need enough to get the beads to begin to locate, then finish off with track pump anyway)

foxyrider
    Free Member

No they don't often work as they often have a continual cut off (from the 2 I tried) 🙁

leggyblonde
    Free Member

shell petrol station has worked on 4 tyres for me when a track pump didn't 😀

Earl_Grey

You can't use the compressors which you set a pressure on to seat a tubeless as they have an annoying habit of inflating a little and then stopping then starting again.

You need to find one of the ones with a long hose and a trigger with a dial gauge on it. They seem to be getting rarer.

With stan's rims (mine are 355s but I imagine Flows are the same) I find the easiest thing is to put a tube in, use that to seat the bead, then just pop one side off to remove the tube. That way only one bead needs to seat, less air escapes etc. and you can use a track pump. Use plenty of washing up liquid and water.

It seems higher volume tyres are more difficult to seat than lower volume but if one side is already seated then you have more chance.

tomhughes46

Thanks, have tried the tube thing, and the washing up liquid, but to no avail. I might just give up. Anyone want to buy an Olympic valve and little bottle of sealant? 😛

I do have a compressor, but it's at my Mother's house 165 miles away. I might try my car one…

Lakes_Puma

Tom where are you located?

GEDA
    Free Member

Hope you don't get a puncture on the trail. I doubt you will be able to find a compressor.

fontmoss
    Free Member

yeah you need old school compressor, not one near my new house so stopped using tubeless 🙁

(theres prob one not too far away but its a pain the hole)

BluePalomino
    Free Member

You can't use the compressors which you set a pressure on to seat a tubeless as they have an annoying habit of inflating a little and then stopping then starting again.

You need to find one of the ones with a long hose and a trigger with a dial gauge on it. They seem to be getting rarer.

You need an old skool type of tyre compressor, not the fancy idiot proof ones found in most modern petrol stations. If you have a back street garage/mechanics near you, try them.

PJ266
    Free Member

GEDA – The glorious thing about that is you can just stick an inner tube in.

tomhughes46

Puma: Exeter, I assume you're in the lakes?

GEDA: Thanks, but the hope is that once it's worked once it'll be easier in the future…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Few things, have you taken the valve core out to increase air flow?

Are you aware that the flow, in theory, should use a rim strip with conventional tyres and yellow tape with tubeless tyres?

Rather than soapy water, I dip a bar of soap in the bucket and they run it around the tyre bead, much more slippery. For really stubborn setups, try pinching the sidewall with pegs. I find 16 each side works well and it's amusing how they ping off once the tyre starts to inflate.

Oh yeah, did you remember to tap the tread of the tyre all the way around before trying to inflate and do you have the wheel handing when you inflate so there's no compression of the tyre?

Lakes_Puma

Actually I'm in Swindon, (don't ask) but still too far for you to pop over and use my compressor 😥

Lakes_Puma

I'm using flow rims with non tubeless High Rollers with sealant and yellow tape and they are staying up fine, in fact seem to hold air better than my tubed tyres!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Try neat wachining machine liquid.

Worked for me with a track pump when high concentration of washing up liquid/water didn't

Onzadog
    Free Member

plenty of people get conventional tyres to work with flow rims on yellow tape, that's why I say, in theory. It's per the instructions of the JRA site.

donks
    Free Member

Hang on a mo…I have presta valves on my tubeless wheels and as far as I know the garage airlines are shrader. Can you get a different type of valve for tubeless wheels?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yes/no/maybe

Either: go shrader
    Or: get presta valves with removable cores and use an addapter.

toons
    Free Member

Didn't work for me.

I bought a compressor and it’s much easier 🙂

scoobmw
    Free Member

I used three different garages last year and no joy. Like some say, most are these new-fangled types that don't give continuous high flow.

But nevertheless, sometimes it's just the tyre + rim that's the problem IMHO. I found with one particular combo of tyres and rims that it simply wasn't going to happen so I gave up. Despite subsequently doing this for half a dozen rim / tyre combons successfully, when I went back to the original combo I'd tried last year I still couldn't make it work, and this time I got a bike shop compressor, wrapped the tyre round the middle, used every conceivable 'trick' and no joy. So I think sometimes it just ain't gonna happen (that was a rim strip option as they were Mavic rims).
    Another set of (same type – 317's) Mavic rims and another set of the same tyres (Nobby Nics) did go up using Co2. No problem either !
    Inexplicable. Same method used on both. One set took 15 minutes, another set took 3 weeks of trying on and off. And much frustration.

So for all the instructions on the site, given I follow them to the letter, and successfully make it work on some combos I think it's actually down to tyre + rim and whether there's some sort of incompatibility.
    Personal view.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I couldn't get the local garages to work – for some reason the valve wouldn't engage with the pump.

jl.
    Free Member

I've only ever managed to get them on with my track pump… nearly busted an artery doing it though!

Anyone tried a CO2 cartridge?

JPcapel
    Free Member

I use CO2 cartridges always to inflate my tubeless tyres.
    Using Stans flow rims and Mavic 819's.

I then use Muck off to "lubricate the rim" and this combo of Muck off and CO2 works each time.
    Once the CO2 cartridge is "spent", then I use a track pump and go up to about 40psi shake the wheel around to get the "jizz" (wheel milk) inside to help seal the tyre and then your sorted.

Could I have got more double-entendres into a post I wonder….

Agree some tyre brands are harder work than others, Spez. tubeliss stuff is a nightmare – even LBS gave up and used CO2 when I tried a pair.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

THe new fangled garage compressors normally have a "flat tyre" mode which provides a continuous stream.

Try that………. or inner tubes.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

I just use LUST HR and track pump – far less faff than trying to get non UST tyre to inflate and dont cost anything in CO2 carts. Why the desire to bodge that ends up costing you more? 🙄

spooky_b329

I use CO2 sometimes, but it causes the Stans to dry out prematurely. I usually seat the bead using the C02, then let the air out and reinflate with a track pump, but I try to avoid it as it still seems to affect how long the Stans lasts.

tomhughes46

Why the desire to bodge that ends up costing you more?

To save weight. I currently have quite lightweight tubes. To use a full UST tyre and sealant would save virtually no weight, so what's the point?

In fact, that is the question I have asked, leading to the inner tubes route.

It seems that there is no way I can get the bead to seat properly on both sides. I may as well be trying to seat a 29er tyre for all the luck I have had.

C'est la vie…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Its not about weight for me – in fact wieght is not something I really worry about that much

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

After being on tubed for years and finally switching since Jan this year I certainly dont see UST as heavier. I think they spin up faster and they roll so much better at even lower pressure with significantly more grip. Keep focused on performance boost than gram loss. I am a convert. Cant think the few grams your trying to save is worth the hassle. There are other ways of loosing a couple 100grams.

PJ266
    Free Member

Unless you rip tyres alot (Which I unfortunately do) tubeless is amazing, Ive gone 8 months with no punctures before.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Petrol station compressor for tubeless?’ is closed to new replies.