Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Petrol Pump vexation.
  • Pigface
    Free Member

This morning put £25 of fuel in the car, I always play a dumb game of putting exact ammounts in (yes I have no life) 24.97, 24.98, 24.99 25.00 exactly. Put pump back into socket/holster what ever the proper name of it is. Go inside to pay and 2p has appeared on the read out. WTF!!!

Woman says she doesnt know and obviously couldn’t give a tosswhy it happens, yes I know its only 2p but grrrrrrrrrr it really hacked me off.

br
    Free Member

Not old enough to remember the ‘Not the Nine O’clock News’ sketch?

Edric64
    Free Member

Reminds me of the Not The Nine O Clock News sketch where the cashier presses a button to add the penny on !

Edric64
    Free Member

Beaten to it !!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Fill to an exact amount, the same as you have in cash on you. Then see what the reaction will be when you are 2p short. Bet that will wake them up. Of course it will be no fun if there is a penny pot on the counter.

khani
    Free Member

It’s a cunning scam, if they get an extra 2p off every customer over a year they’ll have profits to rival a Mexican drug cartel…
    Or you were a bit dozy this morning..

Pigface
    Free Member

More than old enough for Not the Nine O’clock News 😆 I had forgotten all about that sketch.

Not being dozy I got ripped off by Tescos 😉

kayak23

I used to do that, but now I have to fill to the same number repeated.
    So £69.69 or £54.54 or whatever.. It pleases me to hear the staff say it plus it allows me to easily identify fuel purchases on my bank statement 🙂

I think I may start doing palendromes… That’s where it’s at!

Stoner
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK22exg07IU&noredirect=1[/video]

from 9:30

scotroutes

My local Tescos has pumps that let you choose an exact value. Alternatively, pay at the pump?

khani
    Free Member

Tesco’s, aaah Satans favourite supermarket..
    That’s why they’ve got more money than most third world country’s…

grahamh
    Free Member

Reminds me of the Not The Nine O Clock News sketch where the cashier presses a button to add the penny on !

It was a half penny 😀 which used to be even more of a grrrrrr.

bentandbroken

What to do?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Your diesel injection pump will be loving that tesco psudofuel scotroutes.

Edric64
    Free Member

Just watched it and realized it was a ha`penny !!

Cougar

Go to pump.

Fill car.

Pay.

Why would you ever not? Weird.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Go to pump.

Fill car.

Pay.

+1

trail_rat
    Free Member

Because it wouldnt be a very exciting story to wind up the moderators on a well known mtb website…

Edric64
    Free Member

Has to be rounded up to a 20,30,40 quid or more or round number of gallons ,ie multiples of 4.54 litres!

wwaswas

I think the moderators have far more to be wound up by than petrol pump exactists.

samuri
    Free Member

Go to pump.

Fill car.

Pay.

Because I’m not a millionaire. A full tank is worth more than my house nowadays.

As above though, when I put some fuel in I deliberately go odd amounts like £10.56. This also helps me see it on the bank statements.

I rarely put in more than twenty quid anyway, that lasts me a couple of weeks at the mooment. I simply can’t understand how people can continue to pour liquid gold into their cars without deciding enough is enough. The tipping point came for me quite a few years back when it started costing me more than twenty quid for a week.

/cycles away smugly.

richmtb

I used to do it.

Now I just fill the tank up, so my only petrol pump vexation is how slow some of the pumps are

Cougar

Because I’m not a millionaire. A full tank is worth more than my house nowadays.

If you put in twenty quid every two weeks, forty (and a bit) quid a month, or a tankful every two months, it doesn’t cost you any more. That’s not thriftiness, it’s just poor planning.

Ok, arguably if costs you a bit more to lug about a full tank, but that’s probably in the order of pence and offset by traipsing to the forecourt three times as often as you need.

Edric64
    Free Member

Im dreading the cost of driving Bath to Hampshire for a timetrial on Saturday because of the cost of petrol !

Pigface
    Free Member

it’s just poor planning

Don’t go along with that and with just over a week to payday I would have to eat petrol this weekend 🙂

Cougar

So take your week’s petrol money, stick it in a jar. When your tank’s empty, take the jar, fill up.

Poor planning.

trail_rat
    Free Member

How ever the act of having to fill the car in rushhour traffic is good motivation to ride in when the demons tempt you otherwise

martinhutch

That episode of Not The Nine ‘O Clock News is fabulous. When’s the last time we had a decent sketch show on telly?

Back on topic, when Tesco has its 5p off a litre offer, I have to put an exact number of litres in, even though the difference is probably a few pence in savings.

theotherjonv

don’t fill your car up. You’ll burn more of it off carrying it round for weeks on end before you need it. For optimum efficiency, put £5 in and then keep topping it up when it gets low.

[yes, somewhere in between is probably optimum]

trail_rat
    Free Member

And what about if your most driven route has no fuel stops? Without going far out your wy ? Surely youll lose more in time and fuel driving to the pump than carrying it round.

Oh nos ive broken stw- ive just pointed out that theres no ideal catch all solution 😮

Pigface
    Free Member

I want to take my jar the the petrol station 😉

crazy-legs

I got 18.00 litres for £25.00 the other day.
    This pleased me more than it probably should have. It just looked neat and tidy.

Yes, I really am that tragic.

theotherjonv

I was stretching the point to make a point, but what i said was correct – putting 50-60kg extra weight in the car just for the privilege of carrying it round for a fortnight when you don’t need to is silly.

I find about £30 is ideal for me – that gives me enough for a week’s worth of commutes and running around; obviously if i’m going on a trip I’ll then put some more in.

My petrol pump vexation is far more serious than finding odd numbers. It’s these petrol stations with attached Minimarts. So people pull in, fill up, and then do 15 minutes of browsing for posh ready meals (yes, it’s M&S Simply Food I’m looking at). After which when they go to pay, a/ it takes an additional 3 minutes to ring through all their organic hummus and then b/ they ask to do the petrol separately so they can claim that back on expenses.

Petrol stations for petrol and at the most, a Ginsters concession. Supermarkets for shopping. Clear?

nealglover
    Free Member

So take your week’s petrol money, stick it in a jar. When your tank’s empty, take the jar, fill up.
    Poor planning.

I’ve just put this weeks petrol money in a Jar like you said.

I’ve got no money for fuel now 😐

Can you give me a lift to work please.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you are paid weekly, don’t use much petrol, and are poor, then filling up could be a problem. If your weekly disposable income is £30 then putting in £90 of fuel could cause a problem.

andytherocketeer

then b/ they ask to do the petrol separately so they can claim that back on expenses.

…and pay on credit card, when the pump has a pay at the pump feature, and pumped the last £1 worth really really slowly to get the exact .00 at the end.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

This happened to me the other week too!

I very nearly argued it but in the end did the british thing, stiff upper lip and handed over my credit card.

It’d be an odd one to argue, on the one hand the pump probably has a margin for error greater than the 2p anyway, but that 2p wasn’t in my car dammit I’m not paying for a leaky pump!

nealglover
    Free Member

If you are paid weekly, don’t use much petrol, and are poor, then filling up could be a problem. If your weekly disposable income is £30 then putting in £90 of fuel could cause a problem.

No, I’m none of those things.

Must just be poor planning then.

But if I did full up the tank (90 litres) in my work vehicle, it would put my van over the weight limit as I carry 700 litres of water in a tank already, plus all my other kit 😀

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

On the subject of expenses, why don’t petrol stations put VAT on the recipt by default? Even buying a sandwich from the corner shop the recipt has the VAT on it, so why don’t petrol stations?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Petrol Pump vexation.’ is closed to new replies.